Please advise: Lower mileage GX vs High mileage LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I have been looking at a few options for a family car. We need it for daily driving, but also go on a few high mile road trips during the year. No off-roading. The wife sits in the back with the baby for now.

So we have it narrowed down to a:

black 2015 GX460 with 81,000 miles for $24,000

or a:

pearl 2013 LX570 with 181,000 miles for $27,500.

I drove the LX and it drives like a dream. Like perhaps one of the best driving experiences of my life. We’re just hesitant because of the miles and it feels a bit dated to my wife. Haven’t drove the GX yet. Anyways, what do y’all think?

Interior will be just as dated in the GX. They haven't updated the interior since 2010 (though they did for 2020). The LX will likely ride better, but the GX will ride better if it has the adjustable suspension.

It's tricky because almost all LXs come fully loaded with everything. Not all GXs are that way and some of the more comfort-oriented options have to be present to make the GX ride nicer.

The LX definitely has a better ride than the GX. But that particular LX is way over priced for that mileage. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that price for that high of mileage.

My first vote is for the GX.
BUT....
My 30 year old daughter and her boyfriend don't like sitting in the middles row for any length of time. Says they're hard and uncomfortable. I've sat in them when tinkering in the middle row and have to agree. So I'd have your wife sit and get a good bum feel and if she thinks she can do several hours at a time in it. Note: I'm talking only about the GX

I can't say about the 200 series. I've only had a couple of 100 series and the middle seats in those were great! But not heated and only one climate zone.
A properly optioned GX and 200 series will have 3 climate zones (2 in the front and one for the middle seats) and middle row heated seats.

For my wife's DD a certified GX made much more economical sense than a LC/LX. We have put on 10k since we bought it in July and have no regrets. The 5 year CPO warranty is a nice bonus. We just did our second 600+ mile road trip with the cargo behind the front seats filled to the roof with a decent amount of weight and we didn't feel the extra weight. I want a Land Cruiser but the GX surpasses any need we have.

I switch driving between a GX and a 200 a couple times a week. The 200 has a better ride, driving position, seats and arguably higher quality materials. The GX is top shelf, but the 200 is in its own category.

Reactions: r2m
I recently sold my 50k mile GX for a 166k mile LX570 and have been so happy I’ve never looked back. The 200 series is so overbuilt it is in a class of its own. The GX is an exceptional vehicle, however, there is no comparison between the two.
You’ll want to check the service records carefully and make sure it’s not eaten up with rust. I found quite a few from the NE during my search and the amount of rust was eye opening.
If this LX is clean and well taken care of like the one I found then I am sure you’d prefer the LX. Properly maintained they really don’t have many issues.

AHC is extremely durable and reliable. It's easy and inexpensive to change the fluid as well. We enjoy the ease fo use with the AHC system but if we are to stick with the 200 series long term with plans to modify it I'd lean towards trading/selling the LX in order to get into a LC.

It sounds like many get conflicting statements from dealers on changing AHC fluid....(same fluid used in KDSS)

Drive both and see what you like, bottom line. I own both and would certainly never say "the LX is better than the GX....". No way. They both feel over-built and badass, along with excelling in different subjective categories.

If you're shopping for those vehicles you probably are familiar with what they're priced at. I know someone said that was high for the LX but it's not actually. a 2013 and newer aren't below 30k. Especially if they're in the southern states. A 80k mile Chicago 2013 LX and a 160k mile Texas/Florida/Alabama LX are all around 32-35k

As far as vehicle choice I know you said your wife sits in the back with the baby. Do you guys have any other kids or plan to have more? Have any pets? If you do go on long tips I expect that you pack a decent bit for a drive like that especially with kids. There is no way I would get the GX if that's the case. They're great vehicles. I own one but I wouldn't recommend them for a growing family. Even if I wasn't going to use the LX's third row. I'd get it over the GX for ride alone as well as the cargo space.

I don't know what kind of financial situation you're in but if the 2013 feels dated they're going to stay that way until 2016. Just the way it is with Toyota. They make a vehicle and don't update anything hardly for 6-8 years. However a 2016 with the same miles is going to be $52-60k. If you can end up spending around $35k you can find a 2013-15 with less than 100k miles.

ALSO don't let your wife get inside of a 2016 or you'll be buying a 2016 :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom