Planning Dempster Highway trip, Yukon Territories, whos done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done this trip? I'm planning it right now, 2 weeks, August 11-?

I'm looking for tips on what to bring? Maybe something you found useful or wish you had while you were in the Yukon. Thanks!

Everybody we have talked to said the bugs are worse in the Yukon then anywhere else!

It should be a great trip, good luck.

Did that in a Ford van with zero gear. stupid but done.

Awesome trip, good timing. Maybe delay strip for a week or 2 for prime Alaske scenery. That run up the Dempster is desolate. Bring good tunes and whatever you want/need. A fly pole would be nice. FYI check out the campground just past the Ogilviy (sp) road station, you cant miss it. Good camp, shelter with good barrell stove, wood and a nice creek for fish/clean. A gun and bullets. There aint to many people up there so plan on desolation.

A "milepost". The MILEPOST
Might want to think about the gun, though. IIRC they are not allowed in Canada.
Good raingear. :D

I did part of it quite a few years ago. Unless there has been big changes expect to able to take care of yourself since there isin't much there. The road had lots of shale on it that cut tires so go slow ,carry tire repair gear and think of maybe two spares. It may havebeen upgraded since I did it so follow the previous advice,,,,Buy the Milepost it will give you the most up to date info. Good lcuk have fun and take some pic's. akraven

Thanks everyone, I'm just doing all the preventative maint I can, I've got 5 additional wheels and tires, thats kinda overkill. I'll update this thread as I'm up there, my dads got a nifty satellite internet laptop. Pics and write up to come!

Dempster trip.

3 years ago went 1/3 way up. Did not go all the way as other events planned.
Road was good and very different landscape. I travel with two spares as gravel and other gear that might be needed. We did not really go all the ways as you can't get to artic ocean except in winter. My friend Sarah from UK did it in winter and took Ice Road to outer village. She had sponcored trip and gave updates via BBC along the way. Wish now we had gone all the way, but had to be to another place in AK so just did the 1/3. Saw now cars was in August.

There is a RCMP unit that patrols road weekly. I don't know your experience but I would bring lots of food and bug netx and spray.

In August-Sept my wife and I are going up through Alberta into Northwest territories and back to Fort Smith AB

Contact me and let me know your plans. I just got a SPOT locator for this trip.
Craig parkerdraw@gmail.com This is on my son's list so don't just click return. I did not log into mine he is visiting.
Let me know how trip goes. We drive 80 series

Fortgot to add from Craig

I read other posts. I travel in remote areas of Canada and you have to see to yourself. I always carry bear spray, now legal in CA. I also carry a 12 ga. shotgun pump with 450 grain slugs. Need to register at CA border $50 and no felony record they check everything.

NO handguns. Friend tried that and lied. They sense that you are dealing with pros. Found .357 mag in $400K motor home. They could have taken it. He lost a day in lock up and gun and $1500 fine. They could have taken the motor home too. Also banned from CA for 5 years. Don't think your going to fool them.

12 ga with slugs is preferred weapon anyway. Also must not look like assult rifle as not allowed must look like sporting rifle. Well check the CA firearms web page for latest info. Do not mess with them. It is their country.

Craig

Gineric,

Thanks a lot! Yes we are bringing my friends 12 guage. If they give us any crap, he has dual citizenship so that might help us out. My dad talked with a friend who lives up there, and he said that the road is the worst its been in years. They haven't been maintaining it as usual apparently. I'm going to bring at least two spares, one on the swingout Kaymar, and one on the roof. I'm going to investigate putting a spare underneath in the stock location. Maybe overkill, but you can never have too many spares. I'm using brand new tires for this journey too.

I am almost done with the logistics, and it looks like we leave August 7th. Its a 48 hour drive, if you do it straight. In the car will be me, my twin, and my friend. We plan to drive in shifts until we get there as long as its safe.

We plan on being up there for 18 days, maybe longer. We have no real constraints on time, we have all quit our restaurant jobs. (bussing)

I'll keep everyone updated. I changed all the belts, oil, air filter, and spark plugs today. I've got a month to get this rig as reliable as possible. Its got 195,600 on the clock.

Questions, Suggestions, anything and everything is welcome. Thanks!

We drove the Dempster March in 2007.

From Inuvik we took the ice highway to Tuktoyaktuk.

It took us 12 hours to go from Dawson to Inuvik. Take 2 spares and a Satellite phone. Drive slow 80-90 km/h and enjoy the scenery.

You will not need a shotgun. Bear spray or bear bangers are all you will need to scare wildlife. That far north there are not many trees and you will see wildlife for miles.

Take care driving in Northern Alberta and BC. There are tons of moose and bison along the road and they would put a good dent in the truck.

If you are traveling through Edmonton PM me.

Todd

We are taking 37. This trip is coming up pretty soon! Leaving August 6th, return between August 26-27.

Hey man , I forgot to tell you. Throw some goggles in the truck. There are these huge ass earth movers that run that road at insane speed. The headlights are like 12 feet off ground so if you see one at night you will be impressed from a mile away. Most people get as far right as you can to let em pass no matter if they are comin behind or at ya, and they throw a wake of gravel. In the event a large rock takes the windscreen you may need the goggles. We had to peel back the drivers side, duct tape it over to the passenger side and the driver wore goggles for like 6 hours.

I'm in Whitehorse, YT. I'll give more details on the trip later. for now, pictures!

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom