Pink Crusties on top of the throttle body (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MJK

Threads
Hi All,

I'm new to the 100 series world, and bought 2005 that I am working on getting to a good baseline. I discovered some evidence of a prior coolant leak near the throttle body as seen in the photo below. I see no evidence of an active leak now (here or anywhere else), but want to fix whatever is going on when I replace the heater tees and timing belt in the next couple weeks.

A = 23829-50070 (?) so a vapor return line. Guessing that isn't it despite being hard.
B = 16296-50030 (?) so coolant bypass hose. Looks OK, but then again I can't see what else it would be.
C = Doesn't seem to be the source.

Anybody have any experience here, or just replace B and hope for the best?

krusties.jpg

Last edited:
I would clean it all off really good with a tooth brush and solvent and then wait to see what transpires after driving it for a while. Just leave the engine cover off so you can keep an eye on it.

That vapor return line isn't it, "B" is going to be it. I'd pull the vapor line, and pull the "B" hose. Coolant has a habit of drying in a way that it points directly to the source of the problem. It is likely the hose seal and you can throw a true hose clamp on it.

Stick an extension in the "B" hose to prevent coolant loss, and you can put a paper towel in a finger of a nitrile glove and stuff it into the flange side while you inspect both. If you lose very little fluid the system will self-bleed just fine if you have coolant in the reservoir once you hook everything back up.

Reactions: MJK
Thanks guys, will do. Can anybody confirm I have the right part number for B? I had a hell of a time finding it in the online parts catalogs, and I *think* that is it but I'm not totally certain.

Thanks guys, will do. Can anybody confirm I have the right part number for B? I had a hell of a time finding it in the online parts catalogs, and I *think* that is it but I'm not totally certain.

I'd pull it first and just inspect the area first. The hose may be fine, and the clamp has loosened which happens with this style. Grab a hose clamp in the right size so you're prepared to wrap it up.

I looked for a diagram on this part, and you're right that its a bit illusive. Hopefully someone can help you with that, I came up dry.

Alpine - at least it isn't just me! Thanks for trying. I ordered it and we'll see what shows up.

Porter - I saw that when searching, and the plug was/is a little proud of the housing. But, there was no pink around it before or after cleaning and driving.

At this point, I have no leaks and no clue. I guess I'll attempt to replace B with 16296-50030 and keep the JB weld standing by.

nokrust.jpg

The small cap on the TB starts to leak-very slightly- but generally its preceded by the cap slightly raising out of the recess. Keep an eye on it. You can gently tap it down with a socket & hammer, then do the JB weld and Quarter fix. Maybe that "B" hose was weaping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom