pine tree issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I woke up this morning and when I went out to feed to chickens and let them out to run amok for the day I noticed during the windy night one of my pine tree is now leaning about 30deg , you can see the root ball pulling up . Its not too big ,about 20 feet tall .
Anyone had any luck with straitening one up and tying it off and let it stay that way for a little while and recover , or would I be wasting my time ?
I would just leave it but of course it leaning toward the house/ utilities so I'm going to have to do something

Thanks

Last edited:
If it is 20' tall and it is leaning 30 degrees, I'd be done with it. Godwin is right.

not sounding good . I'll winch it up and tie it to a tree in the woods and mess with it this weekend , Wife wont be happy but if its got to go , its got to go

Yup, when they're rootsprung, it's only a matter of time. Make sure you pick a good, solid tailhold tree. Good luck!!!

Yup, when they're rootsprung, it's only a matter of time. Make sure you pick a good, solid tailhold tree. Good luck!!!

Thanks
Its really 30degs off 90 or 60degs to the ground :doh:

I have a bunch of oaks to tie it to plus its just a scrawny looking pine tree as the ground up here sucks ass

Careful cutting on a tree that is under tension from the lean or from a winch! Bad things can happen when you are cutting a tree with that type of sideways pressure on it.

Careful cutting on a tree that is under tension from the lean or from a winch! Bad things can happen when you are cutting a tree with that type of sideways pressure on it.

Good point. Any chance of it hitting the house/utilities you mentioned in Post 1?

If it's only 20 feet tall, there is not much to worry about.

I agree, time to go.
What is the caliper? from the "scrawny" description I'm guessing 6, 8"?

I've seen some of the desert pines with 20 to 24" at that height.

tried to tie it up at lunch but got the work truck stuck on the yard tiring to get close enough to hook the rope up around the middle with my strap for the winch :doh:
So I used every # of the 12K warn on the 80 to get the USS Boat Anchor out and didnt get s*** done for lunch . So it got the "F. it " :mad: I'll mess with it later .
This is why I pay for homeowners for the 20 + years and never had a claim so if it cant wait till the weekend so be it (and I could use a new electric service to the house and meter pan :hmm: )

Yeaaaaaaaah. :rolleyes:

You ever heard of a barber chair?

Yes. Do you have a point here? It's a tiny pine tree. If you can't safely cut a pine tree that small at a 45º angle, then you need not be operating a chainsaw.

Yes. Do you have a point here? It's a tiny pine tree. If you can't safely cut a pine tree that small at a 45º angle, then you need not be operating a chainsaw.

I wasn't referring to what you sit in when you get a haircut.

I've seen lots of smaller things kill or seriously injure people (i.e. spring whips and widowmakers). I've known and heard of plenty of guys that have been sawing for 10+ years get killed/injured doing something they've done 1000s of times and it appeared relatively safe. It's not necessarily some newb that doesn't know s*** that it happens to. The point was that at odd angles, weird s*** can and does occasionally happen.

OBVIOUSLY you must know that excessive forward lean is one of the predominant causes of 'barber chairing'. OTOH, you're probably right. You're awesome. Guess that's a big difference between you and me. I have tons of experience falling trees and cutting brush, but I'm still willing to learn. Your comment make it sound like you are THE authority.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to what you sit in when you get a haircut.

I've seen lots of smaller things kill or seriously injure people (i.e. spring whips and widowmakers). I've known and heard of plenty of guys that have been sawing for 10+ years get killed/injured doing something they've done 1000s of times and it appeared relatively safe. It's not necessarily some newb that doesn't know s*** that it happens to. The point was that at odd angles, weird s*** can and does occasionally happen.

OBVIOUSLY you must know that excessive forward lean is one of the predominant causes of 'barber chairing'. OTOH, you're probably right. You're awesome. Guess that's a big difference between you and me. I have tons of experience falling trees and cutting brush, but I'm still willing to learn. Your comment make it sound like you are THE authority.

How many guys do you know that have been killed by barber chairs from a 20 foot tall pine tree?

Get a beaver.

WTF is a barber chair?

From what I've learned, it is a vertical slab that splits and can take one's head off while cutting a preloaded tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom