picture of bed support in back of a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toontoys.ca
I am looking for ideas on how to mount the front portion of a bed system to the drawer system I have in the back of the 61.

I have a standard two drawer box in the back and I would like to see what people do to attach the front part of the floor that makes up a bed.

My rear seats will be out and I would like the top to be two pieces much like this pic but I would like to see a pic of the system from the view of the rear door. I am having troubles figuring out what the best way to attach those front peices is going to be.

attachment.php

I've made something similar to this for my 60, Roller drawers and fridge in the back, then rear seats fold down and 2 panels sit on top, works really well. I've also fabbed up a couple of fold up extensions behind the front seats that pop up when you fold the front seats forward, adds another 20cm or so of length to the bed. I'll try and get out tomorrow and take some photos for you.

My idea is to make my cargo barrier attach to the top of my drawer system and fold down to rest on top of the tumbled forward seat bottom. I can then add a sleeping pad of one form or another on top of that. This will leave plenty of room for the kids to crash and hang out but still make the back seat available for the kids.

Here's an update on the drawer system I am building. The blue top is going in the first compartment and the electronics are going in the back compartment. It should be nice having both 12V and 120V in the truck

cruiserstuff006.jpg

I am still undecided about what to do up front. I would really like a pic of somebodies bed from the rear door view.

cruiserstuff008.jpg

It's a cheapo from Crappy tire. 400W for $19. I just removed the face and legthened the wires so I could remote mount the plugs.

^ thats nice.....do those front panels remove easily when needing the rear seat.

lunyou

Kevin,

Thanks, that is what I am looking for.

does the roof drop down to make up a curtain all around you? Very cool set up. It looks like your front piece folds up for quick storage??

yeah i'd like some more info on that curtain setup as well, i've been trying to figure out my plan of attack for that for some time and looks like you got it nailed.

It has gone through a few changes since these photos but over all it has worked very well.

There are 4 bolts that thread into T-nuts in the main drawer box. Remove them and the front bins come out (a left and a right) to reinstall the seat.

The curtain rolls down all around the bed, now that the windows are tinted it doesn't get used as much, but is really nice to have.

There is a different front sleeping platform for use when the bench seat is in place, I don't have a photo of that right now.

Glad you like it, I know I have spent many comfy nights on there.
022_22_2.jpg
018_18_2.jpg

VERY COOL!!

I like how that front part works. How did you attach the foam to the lid?

For curtains, we made velcro attachments for the sides and use a bungy cord accross the front and back. Our windows are tinted as well.

The Dude said:
For curtains, we made velcro attachments for the sides and use a bungy cord accross the front and back. Our windows are tinted as well.

I think that is actually a better way to go, velcro stick on curtains and window tint.

The foam is glued to 1/4" luan with 2 T-nuts sunk into it then covered with that fabric (which has since been changed) You can see one of the pan head allen drive bolts that threads into the T-nut in the above picture.

So to totally Highjack the thread................. I got a handful of PM's about the curtain, so I will just post some answers here.

Like I said before, I think velcro window curtains would be the way to go, but...
Was going to use nut-certs but if you drill in the right places the metal is just thick enough the run a tap through.
The eye bolts are threaded in with a fender washer and a nut that locks it together. Surprisingly, they have held for over 40k miles. I think that the constant tension from the cargo net (which rocks way more than the curtain) has kept everything tight.

The curtain is a super long rectangle (20 or more feet IIRC) that is split between the front seats so you can climb into the back.

The corners had to be gusseted because the roof is smaller than the sleeping area.

It's made out of canvas

There are structural channels that run all around the roof, It really helps to have a gutted cruiser to look at. If not, you can feel around the headliner and find them.

Ummmmm,........I think that was all of them.
025_25_1.jpg
023_23_2.jpg

The curtain system is a great idea. But what are you doing for ventilation? You sleep two people in there and it gets sticky quick. Roll down the windows and the moskitos will have a feast. Do you have bug screen on your windows?

Herbert said:
The curtain system is a great idea. But what are you doing for ventilation? You sleep two people in there and it gets sticky quick. Roll down the windows and the moskitos will have a feast. Do you have bug screen on your windows?

The price you pay for a bit of privacy.

In all honesty it is not that bad at all. We have a mosquito net (the kind sold to hang over a bed) that we can attach to the roof, but have only needed it a handful of times under the worst of bug situations.

We usually leave the windows cracked and everything tends to vent quite well.

With the windows tinted black the curtain has become almost redundant but is still nice to have at times.

Wow that looks great kevinmorwland..

where do the kids sit?

jk, I would dig it if I could do that to my LC but the wife would have a fit if we took out the back seat.

Dirtgypsy said:
Wow that looks great kevinmorwland..

where do the kids sit?

jk, I would dig it if I could do that to my LC but the wife would have a fit if we took out the back seat.

You can design it so that the back seat stays in(folded down postion) You won't get near the cargo area that kevin has but it would still work. Make it so that you can lock the lids and then if you want to use the rear seat you just fold the "boxes" backwards onto the rear boxes using a hinge or just make them completely moveable..

lunyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom