Phil's '06 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keeping the trend of updating this thing far too infrequently.
End of 2020
Got spindle gussets done and added an UpTop Roof Rack. Then spent a week+ mostly off the beaten path. After visiting friends in Denver (and doing Red Cone) my buddy (LX450) hit Crystal Mill and Schofield Pass, before taking Silver Jack Reservoir to Owl Creek Pass and down into Ouray.

Spindle Guss.jpg

Red Cone.jpg

Crystal.jpg

Schoefield.jpg

Engineer to Cinnamon to Hurricane and on to Black Bear. We skipped Imogene and Yankee boy, instead opting for a beer in Telluride and getting up to Montrose.
Engineer.jpg

We then ran Rimrocker from Montrose to Moab. Freaking awesome but damn it was a long day. Bombing the dirt roads down the hill and into Moab was such a relief. Gassed up and then camped on the Bluffs before trying to race up Top of the World the next morning for the sunrise (we didn't make it.) Still had breakfast with a helluva view though.
Montrose.jpg

Mont2Moab.jpg
TotW.jpg

2021 was less/more eventful depending on perspective
Moved up to SF for a work project which didn't leave much time for wheeling. Managed to get the LRA tank installed though. Also ran up the coast stopping in Eureka/McKinleyville and on to Crescent City. Pictures never do Redwoods justice. Also tried to run some fire roads/trails back down to Klamath but found them to be heavily overgrown. Didn't have the right gear with us to recut the trails so bailed out, and a buddy managed to highpoint his GX on a couple boulders from a recent slide. Had to get some local assistance to get him off.

LRA.jpg

Daniel.jpg

After moving back down to San Diego made another trip to Colorado for the 4th of July. So much rain left the truck caked in mud, but we had the high lake mostly to ourselves.
4th.jpg

Dirty.jpg

Latest installs
Rear vent louvers from an LX470. Finished wiring up secondary relay/fuse block that fits nicely in the rear cubby. Also got an SBE 3D mirror panel and reconfigured the switches. Also got the Toyota Locker switch in preparation for the locked 8.2 going in this weekend.

fuse block.jpg
switch.jpg

locker.jpg

Gonna try and do a better job updating this year but we'll see how that goes

rig looks great and love seeing it used!

Out with the old and in with the newer locked 8.2 turned out to be pretty painful.
A frozen joint and bushing combined with a stripped thread on one of my Radflos turned the project into a nightmare.
PXL_20220212_181206961.MP.jpg

Had to use a puller to pull the strut through the c clamp on the backside because the bushing wouldn't budge. The struts are now with Radflo getting rebuilt.
PXL_20220213_022502437.MP.jpg
PXL_20220214_075518753.jpg

Thankfully a fellow local GXOR member had some Bilsteins laying around so I could at least drive it until I get the rebuilds back.
PXL_20220214_075623807.jpg

Looking good Phil. Lots of great usage on great trails (I did Black Bear once and once is enough lol). You remind me to make note to self... Use anti seize on various threads!
Did you blow your 8.0 or was it just time to upgrade when adding a locker?
I am just at the beginning of building up my 470. Your GX is good motivation! 👍

Thanks. I found the housing and axles at a pick n pull when I was helping a buddy one day so picked it up for $300. Been sitting on it for a year and finally had time to do the swap so ordered an assembled 3rd with an Eaton from the guys at ECGS and got it done.
Looking good Phil. Lots of great usage on great trails (I did Black Bear once and once is enough lol). You remind me to make note to self... Use anti seize on various threads!
Did you blow your 8.0 or was it just time to upgrade when adding a locker?
I am just at the beginning of building up my 470. Your GX is good motivation! 👍

Keeping with the annual theme of posting made a few more changes and naturally caused some more headaches in doing so. Finally added a new washer bottle after running without. Did timing belt and water pump, and added Sequoia alternator and Koyo radiator and a 698 external cooler. Don't try and mount a horn over the transmission cooler even though it looks like it might fit... When you shut the hood it'll puncture the cooler and you'll find ATF all over the place.

PXL_20230211_221433189.MP.jpg

PXL_20230211_221427389.MP.jpg

PXL_20230211_221416642.MP.jpg

How do you handle the smog requirements for the LRA tank? Or is that not really a problem? Want to line up one for the 460 eventually, but the truck is registered in California.

SMOG checks in California for 1996+ model years only require ODB2 checks. They plug their computer to the ODB2 port and run a diagnostic check.

Open hood and visually inspect. At least that what they did on my 2003 GX470 last week here in LA.

No longer stick anything up my exhaust pipe that I saw. Regular smog required on this last one.

Spent the long weekend in Moab. Ran Poison Spider, Gemini Bridges to Metal Masher, and went out to one of the Canyon overlooks. No Top of the World this trip as it and Flat Iron Mesa were snowed out for us.

PXL_20230219_222326969.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom