Builds Phildoh build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, just what we all want to see, another build thread. I need to compile all my junk into one thread for organization, keep a tally on all of it, and get some feedback from all you great folks! So here's the stuck pig, 1996, locked, 178k mi, no real maintenance done by the PO other than oil changes and keeping the tires aired up, so its going to be a long uphill challenge. Reading about all the querks is awesome so I can learn my rig, along with being new to the LC ownership. I've had a few rigs, 80 and 84 pickups, the 84 being fully built by myself and wheeled like any arrogant early 20's single male would. Now being mid 30's, having a family and being laid up from a recent Harley wreck, I have plenty of time to tinker on the rig and get it dialed in before its needed for DD duties, and as close to 100% reliability is my goal, along with mods along the way. So, here's the day i brought the slug home, 4/18/15. Long commute home. (Bought it off of my neighbor across the street!)
IMG_20150418_112823356_HDR.jpg

OK, time to catch up on this. Since I picked it up, it had some pretty trashed front seats, motors weren't working right, the duct tape was ripping the hair out if my leg. I got sick of that real quick so I made a call to Corbeau, ordered up a pair of Baja XRS seats, brackets and double lock sliders. Passenger side went in flawlessly, driver side had to massage a bit to get the bolt holes to line up. Took a couple days for them to loosen up a bit so my shoulders were relaxed, and they're great. Always wanted aftermarket seats and never had the chance to puck some up so this is like an old present to myself in a way. As for a pic, later today or tomorrow. Yes, the seats were the first to get swapped out. As far as mechanically, I bought it, and within three days the brake booster and power steering both of took a dump. With price and availability, and warranty, and whats near my house, I ordered a booster and pump from Autozone. For the record, there's an Autozone two blocks from my house, they're friendly, knowledgeable, and take time to help find odds and ends for ya. I have a great buddy at the stealership, along with some other great buddy's out there, so I do things the way I do based on past experience, type of part, warranty etc etc. So... Booster and pump, both special order, spendy too, and a bit cheaper than rock auto. Nonetheless, learned a trick from a buddy who's my smog/ase master tech when I have real problems. Since I'm currently on crutches, recovering, some friends are helping me along the way till I can walk again. Went to said buddy Roberts, and learned that on the 80's, you can carefully bent the master cylinder away with lines attached to replace the booster. Went in in 25min with hand tools, not a glitch, works great, stops like a LC should! And the pwr steering pump, what a pain. OK who the eff designed that thing? So we get it apart, spin the gear, its got almost no resistance, shot. Pull the gear and key with a three jaw (didn't wanna use a 3 jaw, by its what Robert had at home.) Slip it on to the new pump, and the new but won't catch a thread. Old pump different thread. Well scheet. Buddy being supertech, grabs a file and we started chasing. (No tap n dies either) spent a few, didn't work. It was getting late, he dug in drawers looking and looking, finally pulls out a small pipe cutter and we crossed our fingers. It worked! It worked great! Learned as well that a pipe cutter would chase a thread! Boom, new pump! We did jack up the front end and cycle the system a bunch before start up, but she still puked all over the place. Oh well, stinky drive home.

Came with an ARB bumper. Never liked them. Put it on my Facebook and a guy with a 4runner snagged it up. Gave it a shave and took off the hoops, looks pretty good! I just don't like these things
IMG_20150427_115535895.jpg

Did a bunch of research, found that 37" tires are where I want to be, so a call went in. 37x13.50/17 Toyo's on 17x9 steelies, 4.5bs.
IMG_20150416_160338344_HDR.jpg

they aren't my cup of tea either, imo, you have to have a lifted truck with giant tires to even begin to make it look right

<3 my shortbus on the other hand...

also, i have the same wheels :D nice...

went with 35s, though

Rubbed on the paint a bit, the factory green isn't too bad down the middle. The herculiner covered the lower junk, scratches, hides a few smallndents a bit, and the roof has had the clearciat dried to a crisp, so its going to get sprayed satin black, that and the herculiner bottom, and decent green down the middle, it won't look too bad when its done.
IMG_20150424_134532.jpg

So it begins... Slee 6" kit with medium springs, solid lower rear links, tie rod, drag link
IMG_20150522_185004033_HDR.jpg

And to the front
IMG_20150525_120802668_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150523_134844642.jpg

IMG_20150524_191759593.jpg

Tore down, full gasket/seal/bearing kit from marlin, and inner seals from dealer. R&P looked fine, torque was good on all internals.

Axle looking decent, ordered chromoly inners, RCD if I'm not mistaken, GAF to chop the outer off, wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Some squirt can, and back together and in.
IMG_20150524_195619176.jpg

IMG_20150524_194902159.jpg
IMG_20150525_173256374_HDR.jpg

Let's not forget the wheel spacers! Oh yeah, and the part time kit needs to go in as well...
Had to put in the hardened inners as well
IMG_20150525_123102821_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom