PHH - Bypass or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 80 tech forum seems split of the long bypass with Gates Green Stripe or keep the stock metal tube - what have clubs members done? Any regrets?

Hey Jay, I just picked up 2ft of green stripe and 10 breezer #10. I am going to keep the metal tube when I replace mine.

I kept the tube in place when i did mine but it was in a gas station parking lot.

stevezero increased his coolant capacity by adding the 6' bypass option :D

My build involved keeping the PHH .... with today's hose it should be good for a while. Aside from the headache of difficult access I'm much happier running solid lines where possible.

Thanks for replies - I am going to try and keep the hard pipe - any thoughts on de-smogging?

If anyone wants to get together and do a mass PHH party I am game. I have the hose and clamps. Might be easier to do them all in a row and be pros by the end.

Thanks for replies - I am going to try and keep the hard pipe - any thoughts on de-smogging?
EGR delete? I just finished mine.

Keep in mind one of the byproducts of an EGR delete is an increase in cylinder temperature. That has the ability to shorten head gasket (and exhaust valve) life.

Keep in mind one of the byproducts of an EGR delete is an increase in cylinder temperature. That has the ability to shorten head gasket (and exhaust valve) life.
Here is a quote from many threads I found recommending to delete the EGR.
After talking to a who i consider an 80 series expert, Ive decided to delete the EGR system. I read Beno's thread about his total head rebuild where he removed the egr system and it does not look like an over my head :banana: level job.

While we we're talking he is convinced the head gasket failures we see so commonly here in the US is due to our USDM spec egr system, as no other market has this feature. The failures always occur on the #6 cylinder which is where the system inlets not allowing that side to heat up at the same speed as the rest of the of the head/engine during warm-up.

This is reason enough for me to delete it but other benefits would be better running motor and one less thing to go wrong later. What I need is block off plates made for the head and intake manifold. I saw Beno had his made at his friends place, any chance on some more of those made?

I did the EGR delete in two steps: block off plates and parts removal then add the resistor. After the plates and EGR system removal, I saw no gains at all. Startup was slightly smoother but power and fuel economy (or lack thereof) remained the same. I was disappointed but it was a useless part that is no longer on the truck. Two weeks later, I added the 4.7K ohm resistor. I didn't expect anything to happen from adding the resistor, I just wanted to make the CEL go away. Surprisingly, acceleration is smooth and my fuel economy had gone up. Even with stop and go traffic, I have 160 miles at a half tank. I can't wait to put some highway miles on the truck to see what kind of economy I get.

Here is a quote from many threads I found recommending to delete the EGR.

I did the EGR delete in two steps: block off plates and parts removal then add the resistor. After the plates and EGR system removal, I saw no gains at all. Startup was slightly smoother but power and fuel economy (or lack thereof) remained the same. I was disappointed but it was a useless part that is no longer on the truck. Two weeks later, I added the 4.7K ohm resistor. I didn't expect anything to happen from adding the resistor, I just wanted to make the CEL go away. Surprisingly, acceleration is smooth and my fuel economy had gone up. Even with stop and go traffic, I have 160 miles at a half tank. I can't wait to put some highway miles on the truck to see what kind of economy I get.

I believe ultimately "EGR delete" belongs in the same category as "what oil should I run?" with valid opinions on all sides.

If asked why we have so many 1FZ head gasket failures in the US the first thing I would say is because we have so many 1fz's, whereas many other parts of the world got diesels. Do the Aussie petrol 1FZ engines have HG issues? Yes. What is the overarching cause for our HG woes? The history books will read it was due to a faulty HG design. Unanswered in that diagnosis is whether higher cylinder temps were a contributing factor. With both issues, head gaskets and EGR, there is an ample amount of conjecture and an underwhelming supply of facts. One of the few facts we have is that EGR delete raises cylinder temps ... but when it comes to whether or not that contributes to HG failure, we're back to conjecture.

Other questions it would be nice to have answers to ....

We tend to put the "common" failure time of a HG at around 150k miles. So presumably everything is fine for the first 100k when the EGR is new and functioning. Is there a connection between HG failure and the time when many EGR systems become clogged and stop working? I doubt we will ever know.

Jonathan, I'm eager to learn your new MPG numbers as well, so keep us posted. I don't have a lot of data on my new engine because it's not my daily driver. And for what it's worth here I am with this awesome fresh build and guess what .... my EGR isn't working.

Anyway, it's early and I'm rambling, which doesn't bode well for kids about to wander into class.

Was this a hijack? Sorry.

Peace all,
Rice

Great thoughts, Rice. I decided not to do the delete on your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom