Periodic use of Low Range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No problems, just a "the-more-you-know" or a poll of sorts... or maybe I need to get schooled on transfer case guts?

In my old 4Runner, it was a good idea to shift into 4WD every once in a while, if only just to lubricate the front driveshaft, and perhaps the diff, axles, vacuum lines (mine had ADD), and other stuff in the works.

80- and 100-series rigs have full-time 4WD, but is it a good idea to switch to Low Range every so often, if only just to lubricate the lower running gear? Or is the lower gear constantly spinning along with the high-range gear? Is there a benefit to driving around the block in Low every month or two?

- Cal

No problems, just a "the-more-you-know" or a poll of sorts... or maybe I need to get schooled on transfer case guts?

In my old 4Runner, it was a good idea to shift into 4WD every once in a while, if only just to lubricate the front driveshaft, and perhaps the diff, axles, vacuum lines (mine had ADD), and other stuff in the works.

80- and 100-series rigs have full-time 4WD, but is it a good idea to switch to Low Range every so often, if only just to lubricate the lower running gear? Or is the lower gear constantly spinning along with the high-range gear? Is there a benefit to driving around the block in Low every month or two?

- Cal

Don't know for sure but I engage low range about once every month (or more often for me as I use the rig fairly often off-road) on average or so to be on the safe side. However if you have lockers it is a good idea to engage them periodically (along with the CDL)...don't know the best schedule but would think once every other month would be a good starting point.

I use the cdl nearly every time i go off road, though in most cases I probablydon't neeed it. I believe in the "use it or lose it" axiom. I have also learned that the few times you need the additional traction, you find out when you are already in trouble.
I do a lot of wildlife photography on south Texas ranches and have had to get out of some pretty good mudholes. I just engage the cdl as soon as I go through the gate, that way I don't forget.
I can't remember exactly what my owner's manual says about speed with cdl locked, something like 8-10mph max, but I've driven it up to 50mph quite a few times when we've had ice, or I've forgotten to disengage it coming out of the pasture with no ensuing damage.

The high range gears and the low range gears run side by side so all gears should get a good oiling in high range with cdl unlocked or locked.
If you dont get into low range at least once a month you are not trying hard enough :D

I try and excersise them on a regular basis. Can't hurt and always helps the driver remember how to do it when it counts.

Same with the A/C in spring. Here you never really need it but I use it every now and then to keep the system lubed up.

I would definately engage the CDL once a month. I used to do this and never had a problem with it. Then, I forgot to do it for about 6 months. After that, I went to use when I really needed it and it would not engage. Finally, after about 60 attempts of pushing in the button, letting it out, reverse to forward, etc. I enaged with a loud bang. It was sticky the next few times I used it that week. Since then, I have engaged it more ofter and have had no further problems.

- Cal

Not an issue waste of time. Similar to oiling your muffler bearings :)

Just engage all your diff.locks once a week. And the AC, for 5 mins.

Not an issue waste of time. Similar to oiling your muffler bearings :)
Hey I don't use my signal lights (I'm Asian) but I do exercise them once a month if only to keep them lubricated with the blinker fluid.:flipoff2:

- Cal

Should you keep it in a straight line doing this on dry pavement?

I'm thinking yes, at least for the CDL, to keep it from binding around corners. Low range shouldn't matter since all the diffs are open. (I have an '01 with ATRAC).

Should you keep it in a straight line doing this on dry pavement?

I'm thinking yes, at least for the CDL, to keep it from binding around corners. Low range shouldn't matter since all the diffs are open. (I have an '01 with ATRAC).

loose dirt or straight line, but you don't need to do this to keep it lubed.

ok, yes I am an idiot, but I have only used this once, I doubt the previos owner ever did. It sounded like metal gears of a military ship. So since everywhere I have gone so far Trac has kicked in, I haven't really needed it.
Can someone give me an idiots guide?
last time i pressed the Button, after I put it in low, then went up a very steep grade while taking pictures, and when I got to the top, there was a parking lot, lot so I pressed the button again and it didn't turn off, so I backed up about 40ft and it disengaged. Is this what I am supposed to do?

last time i pressed the Button, after I put it in low, then went up a very steep grade while taking pictures, and when I got to the top, there was a parking lot, lot so I pressed the button again and it didn't turn off, so I backed up about 40ft and it disengaged. Is this what I am supposed to do?

Do not back up in mall parking structures! The chance of a fender bender is very high! :rolleyes: :D

(Seriously) I would start by trying to disengage rolling forward rather back into a slope where I thought I needed the CDL. Go forward or back with a little side to side motion to unbind a bit. Sometimes it takes just a little while to disengage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom