Perfect wheels for BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

What would be the best wheel option for a BJ74. I’m thinking on install 16x7 steel wheels from Wheel Vintique. I also have the idea of install the OEM 42601-60072 but as they ate originally made for the FJ40 I’m not sure if they will fit it. What would the experts recommend? Does any one has a 5 wheels set that fits my BJ for sale?

wheel vintique option

OEM option

Additional option for your consideration
Check with Onur. I purchased a set of 5 Toyota 16 inch steel wheels from him for my 70. They were made for the 70 so the fit is perfect. They look very similar to 60 chrome wheels. Plus, they are built strong per Toyota specifications.

What @LDowney said. Here is a pic of the wheels Onur sold me on the FJ73 I had. My favorite as long you don't have flares.

IMG_2412.jpg

But if you want to see what the FJ40 wheels look like on the 70. Here is the PZJ70 I used to own.

pzj70.JPG

If you're not allergic to wheel spacers (properly installed they're no problem), a factory FJ Cruiser steel wheel looks awesome. It's a 17" wheel, which opens up tire size options. Because of its shape it doesn't look like a larger wheel.

For the record I struggled with this choice. 15's are my preference for a wheel size, but with limited tire options I opted for a 17 so I had access to several modern radial pizza cutter 35s that I wanted to run.

What size of tire do you want to run?

The 70's are pretty nice looking with 255/85r16s on OEM rims. I have flares to they look a little skinny on my rig. Personally I want to switch up to 17" to run 35x10.50x17" Kenda Klevers. But to do that I have to get the right backspaced wheels or run spacers. I think my lift might be a little taller than the standard 2.5" which makes my 255's look a little small sometimes.

shameless pic: 255/85r16 on OEM wheels.

1c6d49a0-ffe3-4e93-bfc3-f84693873b61-jpeg.2580606

@J Mack got these Rat Rod Wheels from Summit. You can get custom backspacing, etc. He put OEM hubcaps. Looks sweet with 17" and 35" skinnys.
US Steel wheels, rat rod you can custom size from summit with a 3.5" BS.
U.S. Wheel 68-8860 U.S. Wheel 68 Series Rat Rod Matte Black Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-68-8860/reviews

side-jpg.2558286

Last edited:
What size of tire do you want to run?

The 70's are pretty nice looking with 255/85r16s on OEM rims. I have flares to they look a little skinny on my rig. Personally I want to switch up to 17" to run 35x10.50x17" Kenda Klevers. But to do that I have to get the right backspaced wheels or run spacers. I think my lift might be a little taller than the standard 2.5" which makes my 255's look a little small sometimes.

shameless pic: 255/85r16 on OEM wheels.

1c6d49a0-ffe3-4e93-bfc3-f84693873b61-jpeg.2580606

@J Mack got these Rat Rod Wheels from Summit. You can get custom backspacing, etc. He put OEM hubcaps. Looks sweet with 17" and 35" skinnys.
US Steel wheels, rat rod you can custom size from summit with a 3.5" BS.
U.S. Wheel 68-8860 U.S. Wheel 68 Series Rat Rod Matte Black Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-68-8860/reviews

side-jpg.2558286

I've got a set of Klever 35x10.50s on clean FJ Cruiser wheels and spacers I'm gonna strap on once I do my front axle. I did a test fit and it's going to be amazeballs. It's taking a lot of patience not to just put them on but I don't want to have to remove the spacers.

I forgot about these:

17" OEM Steelies P/N: 42611-60B70 worked on the PZJ70 without spacers. Very similar to the FJ Cruiser 17" steelies but these are for the Hilux is my understanding.

I don't think these are available through the local parts department though.

Ebay19.JPEG

just to confirm the factory 16" has 3.5" backspacing and 0 offset?
I am pretty sure that’s right. Those are the specs I told Summit I wanted. Cragar and some other manufacturers can easily do custom backspacing and offset. I was told I have to order through a retailer like Summit. Summit in turn told me that with Covid, the wait time for a custom set is long and unpredictable.

I forgot about these:

17" OEM Steelies P/N: 42611-60B70 worked on the PZJ70 without spacers. Very similar to the FJ Cruiser 17" steelies but these are for the Hilux is my understanding.

I don't think these are available through the local parts department though.

Hello,

It is possible to get these wheels complete with tires (usually Dunlop AT) for a rather low price in some markets, such as the Middle East. They are OEM for Hilux but dealers replace them with alloy wheels (mated to bigger tires) to suit local preferences. Usually they end up being sold at auctions.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

It is possible to get these wheels complete with tires (usually Dunlop AT) for a rather low price in some markets, such as the Middle East. They are OEM for Hilux but dealers replace them with alloy wheels (mated to bigger tires) to suit local preferences. Usually they end up being sold at auctions.

Juan

I think that is how @Honger got his.

Hi everybody!

Finally I ordered my wheels from Summit and now I’m just waiting for them to be shipped. Apparently the wheels were out of stock and they had to prefer them from Wheels Vintiques. Now is time to wait.
In the mid time I was able to find the perfect tires. I ordered the 235/85/R16 Yokohama Geolandar M/T.
I leave a picture with the tires mounted on the wheels that my rig came with. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

A7789873-C43B-404A-A0FF-8CBB11E06E8D.jpeg
BB88FB5E-F135-4A68-9D41-C7F25EE96636.jpeg

I am interested to find out if they rub.
I tried a different type wheel with 4"BS and it hit the tie rod end. That one was 16x7 though.

Hi everybody!

Finally I ordered my wheels from Summit and now I’m just waiting for them to be shipped. Apparently the wheels were out of stock and they had to prefer them from Wheels Vintiques. Now is time to wait.
In the mid time I was able to find the perfect tires. I ordered the 235/85/R16 Yokohama Geolandar M/T.
I leave a picture with the tires mounted on the wheels that my rig came with. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

View attachment 2610180View attachment 2610181
Not sure about them. Maybe drop it off at my place with the title in the glove box so I can give you a better opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom