percentage of 80's with locking diffs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I've seen 5-10% and 7% bandied about as the percentage of 80 series with locking diffs. If that's true across the US (world?), then it must be 33% in the midwest, and 2% everywhere else. Because in my searching, I come across quite a few around here: right down the street is a 95 82k miles $15k, 97 105k miles $16.8k, 94 85k miles $12k, 97 62k miles $18k. All have locking diffs, and all have rust. :( I could name less than a dozen local 80s without lockers.

Maybe because it's snow country? ::) The salesman told 'em "you'll be safer on bad roads if you get locking diffs" so they did, little realizing that they can only use them in low. And if they could use them in hi, they'd most likely immediately skid off the snowy road! :eek:

Okayokay, won't get back on my safety horse again.

Maybe the same (large) ratio of locker/non-locker vehicles also holds true in the NW and NE? Maybe all those rust-free cream-puffs in texas that get their axles serviced every 30k miles and traded in every two years are the ones without locking diffs.

Later, I'm off to buy me a locking-diff FZJ80 tomorrow, rust or no.

Kenton

Kenton,
The actual percentage and/or actual numbers by year is unknown. AFAIK Toyota USA never released those numbers. We can guess and we can piece together information from different sources like the ratio of vehicles on eBay with diff locks.

Only a very small number of US 80's were custom configured for a customer. Most were ordered with certain equipment by Toyota USA and allocated to dealerships. Basically, the dealers took what they got and sold them. That's why there are diff lock LX450's in south Florida that have never seen and will never see mud or rocks or even a dirt road. (Much less snow and ice.) And there are a lot of 80s that live their whole lives in Denver and don't have diff locks.

Your sample is much too small to reach any meaningful conclusion. For example, your sample indicates that there are twice as many '97s with diff locks as there are 94's and 95's and that none of the 93's or 96's had diff locks. See my point?

-B-

TMS USA ordered approximately 7% of the total build with diff locks. The VAST majority of the 7% were also equipped with leather interiors. The reasoning was that "if we're gonna load 'em, we might as well load 'em". In the case of 93-94 vehicles, you will find a few with sable(brown) interiors and locks.The majority of those had Champaign exteriors. The reason is because grey was the only leather color for 93-94. Tan outside and grey guts is pretty ugly, no? :whoops:

Dan,
Was the 7% number from TMS USA or from another source? Was 7% a data point you got during a specific model year or was that a number you got following the end of the 80 Series production? Was it 7% average during each model year, or was it the total number of 93-97 80s divided by the total number of diff lock optioned 80s?

Or, are you just making this up as you go along? ;)

-B-

That number was given to me by a TMS employee. I'm not at liberty to expand on that.

I only make up the stuff I tell you. :whoops:

Would you tell me if I agreed that you could kill me afterwards?

-B-

NO, because you come in handy sometimes :slap:

That's what my wife tells me. Too bad I don't get to pick the sometimes...
-B-

Well,............

It isn't often..... :flipoff2:

Kidding, OK? :rolleyes:

I have one and that's enough :cheers:

Mike

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6985;start=msg57709#msg57709 date=1067662689]
Only a very small number of US 80's were custom configured for a customer. Most were ordered with certain equipment by Toyota USA and allocated to dealerships. Basically, the dealers took what they got and sold them. That's why there are diff lock LX450's in south Florida that have never seen and will never see mud or rocks or even a dirt road. (Much less snow and ice.) And there are a lot of 80s that live their whole lives in Denver and don't have diff locks.
-B-
[/quote]

I wasn't aware that you could ever order a 80(or other Toyota) from the factory, like you can with a American car/truck. I thought if the customer wanted something the dealer didn't have they ran a locate to see which other dealer had it, then called the other dealer and tried to trade for something #1 dealer had on the lot(or had alocated to him) This was the way it way wtih Honda when I worked there. I do know of a Lexus car(ES300?) that was indead special ordered from Japan, someone(with BIG bucks) wanted a color that only came on anohter lexus.......took almost a year to get it, and now its sitting in a garage up the street from me......with no miles on it, husband died the day after they took it home :(

and FWIW I would say 1/4 of the 80's I see(and there are ALOT in town) in WA have diff locks

John H

>> I wasn't aware that you could ever order a 80(or other Toyota) from the factory, <<

C-Dan will probably give us the details. A friend in town found a '97 with diff locks, cloth, and NO moonroof. Dan told us it had to be a special order for a customer. He's described a couple of others in town with non-typical equipment.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6985;start=msg57806#msg57806 date=1067703397]
>> I wasn't aware that you could ever order a 80(or other Toyota) from the factory, <<

C-Dan will probably give us the details. A friend in town found a '97 with diff locks, cloth, and NO moonroof. Dan told us it had to be a special order for a customer. He's described a couple of others in town with non-typical equipment.

-B-

[/quote]

yeah thats a wierd combo, either special order or the worst new car manager ever!

John H

Up here in Canada, I have never seen an 80 without lockers. They may be here, but I have never seen one as there are not many 80s to begin with.
Sean

Just an FYI, I've been in the hunt (and still am) ::) for a 94-97 80 for quite some time now. And from my experience looking at the market all over, it seems at least 50% have lockers. I say 7% is ridiculously low, at least that's what the market shows.

i live in utah and idaho 8 months out of the year but when i was in Kansas City this summer (that is where i bought mine) and i thought the the same thing. loaded 80s with lockers and cheaper than i could find in utah or idaho. i only saw one with noticable rust (or enough that would have stopped me from buying it).

Sean - FYI as I live down on the BC coast and looked for months for a local 80 (imported from the US).

None of the 8 or so I looked at had lockers. That was before I knew about this site but had heard that 80s had stock OEM lockers (main reason for buying an 80).

I actually had to get out and read the owners manual to find out if/where the locker switch would be found (owner thought I was nuts). I wasn't sure if any US 80 had lockers and thus started searching the web for info on 80s. That's how I ended up on this site, however it would have happended sooner or later.

Riley

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=6985;start=msg57945#msg57945 date=1067740824]
huh? :flipoff2:
[/quote]

I just mean that "I saw 10 cruisers and 9 had lockers" means less to me than "Toyota says 7% of trucks imported had lockers"

Too complicated for you, I know. :flipoff2: Mine has lockers too, so i guess we're in the top 7%. Being that we have them and know what they are for AND use 'em, I'd say that puts us in the top 1% of Cruiser owners. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom