Penn Marshall Stone House. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been looking at your full thread for this restore--a massive undertaking for sure. It is definitely worth it, though--I wish We had a home with this kind of history-that wreath on the chimney side does show the Shaker influence--nice!
A note--saw the post about the Choridane stained flooring--me, I would try to find more--to treat the rest of the place.--This stuff worked, when used as directed--got a bad rap when it was indiscriminently used for everything and anything-so much for the epa-and stupid people--
I had researched millstones many years ago-I'll do it again--this house needs one--any hopefuls I find, I'll send your way
Gary

Appreciate the Chlordane comments and opinions, I truly do. There is much conflicting information on this stuff out there. Some say that it is very dangerous and can cause cancer and diabetes etc. Some say it was all a ploy and politics and is not any more dangerous than those chemicals that came after it was done away with.

I have personally spoken to folks on the phone at both ends of the spectrum. Some kind of shrugged it off like no worries. Others wouldn't step foot in the house. I did error on the side of caution. Liked to kill me when I did but I removed the Chlordane soaked floor boards. I plan to replace them with locally milled wood and stagger the joints in the hopes that no one can tell it was ever replaced.

I have not updated the blog in several months. I have been white washing the kitchen walls, putting in the track lighting and ceiling fan, railing on the reading loft, hardware/hinges/latches on the kitchen windows and finishing the trim work around the windows. I will try to get some updated entries soon. My last was when we completed the ceiling in the kitchen.

I need to rebuild our wood stove before it gets cold. It has a crack in the fire back and I have a kit ready to replace these parts.

It was 84 degrees here in central Kentucky this first day of November!

Kitchen ceiling; Kitchen ceiling woodwork.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

Last edited:
that wood looks awfully like Chestnut---

sggoat, I have used a lot of different types of wood in the kitchen renovation/expansion. I have used wood that was on hand in the house, wood that dad had set aside for the 1970's addition. Also wood from a neighbor with a saw mill and wood that came out of the old stone part of the house.

When I built the railing on the reading loft I used some rough sawn poplar we had sitting around as well as some salvaged poplar my dad had gotten some 40 years ago. They were floor joists from an old house they tore down back then and he used them as the ceiling rafters in the addition.

I capped the top of the railing with a board that was taken out of the old stone house roof when dad cut the opening for the door to the third floor loft. He cut the opening in the 1970's and kept the wood. I found one that fit perfectly. I will try to get some updated pictures of this cleaned up board as it may very well be Chestnut.

If it is indeed Chestnut that would make it about 8 or 9 different species used so far in the kitchen. I have pine, cedar and poplar on the walls and ceiling. Oak, cherry and walnut columns. Trim work is pine, poplar and Douglas fir. Some poplar and cedar beams. The railing is poplar and maybe chestnut. Some old bead board from the old porch ceiling that I am not sure what it is. Probably pine.

Last edited:
Some kitchen details.

100_9619.JPG

100_9651.JPG

100_9652.JPG

100_9655.JPG

100_9656.JPG

What kind of finish is that on the tongue and grove? I think that is what the wife wants in our cabin, what ever it is.

On the walls I used a Zar oil based stain called Coastal Boards. I picked it up at a local hardware store. You can see it listed here on the Zar website. ZAR® Wood Finishing Products It is a bit labor intensive as you rub it all on/in with a cloth or rag. Lots of rags and rubber gloves and sweaty hands in the gloves. Not much fun but I wanted to lighten up the room and break up all the wood some but I wanted the wood to still come through.

I treated all the walls with this stain, the beveled edge tongue and grove white pine wood flooring that I put on bottom side out. Also used this stain on the old bead board wall, the beams spanning the kitchen and the diagonal tongue and groove pine as well which has been up on the walls since the 1970's. I did sand these older walls, did not sand the new beveled pine walls. I got too much of the stain on the diagonal boards and sanded some off. It is a very thick stain, looks just like white oil based paint and may very well be a variation of it.

The Zar stain recommended applying a coat of polyurethane over it. I didn't want much any shine at all so I went with Aqua Zar clear antique flat polyurethane. It is a low VOC water based polyurethane. I went with the water base because it dries crystal clear, won't yellow like oil base. Also less fumes and much easier to work with and clean up. It went on real easy with a brush, real nice. I couldn't find it anywhere local so I ordered it from Amazon. I actually have not finished putting this poly over all the new walls yet. I still have the lower half to finish.

All the other darker woods just have a coat of boiled linseed oil on them.

I will say that it looks quite a bit different in person. The contrast between the white washed or stained walls to the natural oiled wood is much more subtle. The flash and digital image reflects off the white more or something. The walls change a bit depending on what kind and how much light is shining on them.

Last edited:
Determined. Overwhelmed when I look around at what still needs to be done but determined. Mostly a one man show. My son came home and helped me for several days. That was great spending time with him and working on the house. He is the fourth generation from our family to work on it. (Hopefully I can finish it and he or my daughter won't have to...)

With him in college and us still living in our home in town (two mortgages) it is a bit tight financially. Hoping to get the counter top in the kitchen and plumbing/sink hooked up soon so we can go on and make the move. Selling in town will help out a lot.

The old stone home is on Facebook in addition to the blog I have about the place. I actually didn't create the Facebook page. I stumbled upon it, updated it and added most of the entries. I assume it was created because it is listed as a historical place and is on the historic registry. Penn-Marshall Stone House - Frankfort, Kentucky - Landmark & Historical Place | Facebook

But, siding is going up currently. Every step seems slow. I am picky about my own work, critical I guess. Working slow has its advantages but too slow can crush you.

Last edited:
Looks like (shudder), work. Really nice looking, I like what you're doing. (I hate doing 'house' work)

How much change are you allowed to do to a historical landmark?

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It is difficult to take it all in and focus on one thing at a time. Plus keep the farm going with my dad and get the house in town ready to sell. We have lived there for 22 years and we have that many years of crap collected...

I actually really enjoy carpentry work. Love to use my hands and work on things. Really rewarding.

It is not in a historic district, got put on the historic registry by my father. It is about 8 miles (15 mins) out from town. There are no restrictions that I know of. Nothing really at all. Not like living in a historic district in the city where you have to use certain siding, windows, shingles etc. In Kentucky if you live out in the county and have over a certain acreage you don't have to have building permits or inspections. Anything over 10 acres you are exempt from these. That being said we restrict ourselves. Very sensitive to keeping the original structure much the same it was when it was built. Some exceptions to make it 'livable'.

This is a benefit for me. I worked construction and carpentry all through high-school and college and on and off ever since. Got an Architectural degree in college, was a building inspector for a while. I do have to have electrical permits and inspections. There is very little change to the original stone part. Just some window openings made into doors. A little duct work but very non-invasive. Most all the plumbing is in the newer additions. All the bathrooms and kitchen are in the newer parts of the house.

Nice house and project!

It is difficult to take it all in and focus on one thing at a time. Plus keep the farm going with my dad and get the house in town ready to sell. We have lived there for 22 years and we have that many years of crap collected...

I feel your pain; we sold our last house a couple of months ago, after living in it 14 years, and did all the moving ourselves on a 5x10' trailer. I thought the move and the trips to Goodwill would never end. Plus, we filled a huge commercial-size roll-away dumpster twice.

In Kentucky if you live out in the county and have over a certain acreage you don't have to have building permits or inspections. Anything over 10 acres you are exempt from these.

It's the same in most rural counties in Texas, except there are no minimum acreage requirements. We are building a house now, and the only permit/inspection I had to have (in my county) was for the septic system. Absolutely zero permits or inspections for the house itself.

Nice house and project!

I feel your pain; we sold our last house a couple of months ago, after living in it 14 years, and did all the moving ourselves on a 5x10' trailer. I thought the move and the trips to Goodwill would never end. Plus, we filled a huge commercial-size roll-away dumpster twice.

It's the same in most rural counties in Texas, except there are no minimum acreage requirements. We are building a house now, and the only permit/inspection I had to have (in my county) was for the septic system. Absolutely zero permits or inspections for the house itself.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Need all the encouraging words I can get.

Funny. I am using our old 5x10 trailer to do a lot of our moving bit by bit. That and throwing some in the Land Cruiser each time I head out to work on the place. Hope to do a major cleansing on the long move. Short in distance, long in time. Good part about it is we don't have to wait on a buyer for our house and we can move as we go.

Been watching your home build as well. Very interesting and a very impressive foundation and footprint. I will be keeping up with your progress.

I have been side lined by life a bit and have not been able to work on the house. I have been getting the one we are living in currently in town ready to sell. Probably be spring when we put it on the market.

I did finish the siding on the kitchen bump out addition. The local lumber yard delivered some very nice clear western red cedar to my driveway. I was very pleased with the quality of the siding. I had some local eastern cedar on hand and used it to finish out the corners. Matched the corners and siding (Redwood) of the existing addition from the 1970's.

I found some copper flashing in the cellar of the house that was left over from when we (my dad) built the 1970's addition.

The window frames are made out of local cedar. Windows will be painted but the siding will remain natural. I intend to match the siding and window to the 1970's addition to pull it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom