Passed Emmissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
Not only passed, but passed well within margins. This is with no EGR and a busted cat. Some bonehead bashed it on some rocks and it rattled for a while until all the busted chunks of honeycomb spit out the tail pipe. :( I cleared the codes this morning, filled it 3/4 full of fuel and ran it at 2000 RPM while I sat and waited for my turn trying to heat up what was left of the cats.
67 ppm on the HC. 220 is passing
0.2 % CO, 1.2 passes
13.4 CO2
No NOx cause they can't dyno test a AWD :D

CE light came on on the ride back to the shop. EGR low flow and Low catalyst efficiency. :flipoff2:

Very nice todd, i just did the test last week and i gotcha beat but I was curious to know if they were going to give me crap about the check engine light, but they didnt and it was beautiful.

33ppm
.1%
and 12.something

The only thing that could pull off numbers like ours with over 100,000 mi. on the odo is a toy. And I only have half a cat!

8) emissions.....In Mis'sippi, no self-respectin' Suthurn gentleman would talk about such things in potentially-mixed company!

Just come out to sunny California to really understand what smog testing is like! :p

Brentbba

Amen to that! The Smog Police headquaters are located in the beautiful "Peoples Republic of Kalifornia" :D :D

Joe

I'm starting to really like a 95, it seems you can get away with resetting the check engine where as with a 96 and up they plug you up and will fail you if its been reset.

Info,
AFAIK, there is no indication the MIL has been reset; either by pulling the battery cable, pulling the EFI fuse, or using an OBD-II tool.
-B-

On an OBD-1 there is definately not. I don't think there is on an OBD-II either. I will try in the morning to find out. I know if I re-set it it says codes reset, but if I check it later I think all it says is P0000-no codes.
Of course, mine is a 95 so not completely compliant.

The type of tests that were performed have litte relationship to the catalytic converter. NOx more than likely may have been high. The high level of the HC could be caused by the malfunctioning EGR.

My 94 with 155k had 21 ppm HC, .01 CO and 14.87 CO2 last month.

AFAIK, there is no indication the MIL has been reset; either by pulling the battery cable, pulling the EFI fuse, or using an OBD-II tool.
B some ecu's wont let the test to begin if it hasnt reset all of the parameters. there should be a procedure for reseting them in one of the toyotas publications. the only reason i say this is i had a 97 hardbody that had the mil light come on constantly. and i would reset the light and went for the test on the tester gave me a could not test, eec not ready sheet. so i looked into the owners manual and sure enough there was a procedure for reseting the eec parameters, had to drive a certain distance at a certain speed for a given time and shut down and let cool and do it again. it might not be the same with the cruiser eec but,

instigator,

My remark was specific to the OBD-II ECU's in the 96-97 FZJ80's and was intended to be a counter point to IJ's post claiming the 96-97's would fail emissions testing if the MIL was reset.

I can confirm that my P0401 MIL was reset by me numerous times. We have emissions testing where I live and Pristine passed with flying colours. And for the record, the state emissions testing was performed by a hungy Toyota dealer with lotsa dogs to feed.

There is no substantiated data to support IJ's post that I am aware of. If you have relevant information then please share it with us. How your 97 Nissan worked is not relevant.

-B-

b i'm glad your truck is just the awsomest in passing emmisions. i however brought a point as to the the differences in eec's. IJ's info is correct, here in GA they dont do a dyno test on 96 and above vehicles, they just plug into the diag. port and read what the eec has to say for it self and if the info isnt ready to be read it will not pass the car PERIOD. and yes the nissan is relevant :flipoff2: dont get mad cause a newbe challenged you :D

Instigator,

>> and if the info isnt ready to be read it will not pass the car PERIOD. <<

You seem to be equating a "reset MIL" as the same as an inoperative OBD-II interface. I'm not sure what you mean by "the info isn't ready to be read?" The OBD-II I/F is just a bi-directional digital interface... it has no feelings, it can't decide that it's having a bad day and doesn't want to be read. It's either functioning correctly or it isn't. When you use appropriate software & hardware to reset the stored codes, it simply clears stored diagnostic information. This type of "reset" doesn't disable the I/F.

Oh, and IJ is 100% wrong about the US 96-97 FZJ80s vs th 95's. (Sorry IJ.)

>> dont get mad cause a newbe challenged you <<

I'm not mad... a little crazy, but not yet fully mad. :flipoff2:

-B-

Don't push THE BUTTON Wulf. Wait til I get home to the fridge :flipoff2: :beer:

when reseting the mil either by the reader or by disconnecting the batt you've just erased the memory of the emmisions data. your reader and other tools dont see this data only the testing centers have this capabilty ( i have tried to get them to tell me the protocal but it is propriotary to the state or whom ever the system belongs to.) some states still use the dyno for even the new cars but our state went to the diag. port reading for the 96 & newer cars to retrieve the emmisions data.

IJ isnt 100% wrong he just didnt state why the 95s can get away with this, its because 95 and older(obdI) systems have to be done on a dyno and if they dont have the capabilty to do an AWD then they just do the idle test w/a probe in the butt

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the ECM is narcing on you by saying in some sort of code that "I've recently been re-set to mask or clear a problem and I haven't had time to look for it again"?

If so, interesting.

instigator,

It's tough to read between the lines of your posts but I *think* what you're referring to as "info is ready to be read" is whether or not an OBD-II drive cycle has been completed. The OBD-II compliant ECU will keep a status of the 'drive cycle.' Many codes are 2 fault codes and rely on the status of the drive cycle information. This is definitely not proprietary data/information and is clearly detailed in the OBD-II specs.
"your reader and other tools dont see this data only the testing centers
have this capabilty ( i have tried to get them to tell me the protocal
but it is propriotary to the state or whom ever the system belongs to.)"

Every OBD-II scan tool (not the code readers) that I have looked at has the ability to report on the status of the drive cycle. Even my cheap $175 device displays this data.

So, if you're saying that some states will fail a vehicle that hasn't completed a drive cycle then that may be a true statement. It seems logical they would simply not "Pass" that vehicle but that may be a moot point.

C-Dan,
If you think the OBD-II is narc'ing on us then wait for OBD-III. The bureaucrats want your vehicle to be equipped with a device that interfaces with the GPS & cell phone systems and "phones home" whenever the emissions are out of spec. Their rationale is that the entire fleet of automobiles has to be routinely tested to find the 30% of vehicles that are polluting. With the OBD-III they will know exactly which vehicles are polluting and precisely where the vehicle is on the planet [within 3' ;) ] Routine testing would be unnecessary. (Gee, thanks!)

They even plan to be able to "inquire" to randomly check the status of a vehicle's OBD-III system even if it hasn't "phoned home."

Thank goodness OBD-III is unlikely to see the light of day unless we put another enviro-nazi in the White House.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom