1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parts Availability For A 1985 Pickup - Also 1983 VS 1985

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by kevinh, Oct 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM.

1. kevinh

kevinh

Hey people!

Well, I really wanted a Fj55, then I wanted a Bj70, then a HZJ75 and now I am back looking at 80's pickup trucks because I can't afford any of the other ones.... hahah

So, I found a good priced 1985 Toyota Pickup Truck. It must have been re-painted, but every single photo shows an almost new condition vehicle. The only issue listed was cold temperature bogging. I researched on google and this forum and people and the seller say I just need carb work or just buy a new carb or possible get rid of the electronic portion of the carb.

So, do you people think $3000 is a fair price for one with 170,000 Miles?
    What are the unicorn, hard to find parts?
    I'm too far away to take a look, but I have family in that area so I will definitely have a parking spot to store it until I can fly down and drive it home.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention I am from Ontario, Canada

Thanks so much for reading this and thanks for your time and advice/opinions!

Cheers,
    Kevin H.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:46 PM
  2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

The 22R was a popular engine, parts are still easy to get.

Interior parts are NLA. Toyota no longer has most body parts, but you can sometimes get them aftermarket.

Lots of options for drivetrain parts, good support there.

3. kevinh

kevinh

Hello KLF,

Thank you so much for responding! I truly appreciate it!

I thought I would ask my families Mechanic. He's super trustworthy, and gives us the best value for our money.
    I just got off the phone with him, and he sort of thinks I like oddball cars, and that he usually recommends to buy as new as possible so you can find parts.
    His final words were, "I don't recommend this, just buy a poster of the truck." He's really funny that way!

Hopefully some Canadians will chime in with their thoughts, sources for parts.

Thanks again!
    Cheers!

4. kevinh

kevinh

Hey again everyone,

Since, my post seems to be at the top of list and by posting I'm not causing a spam effect.

Would you people rather at a 1985 Solid Axel 22r or 1986 IFS 22r?

I'm finding a lot of information online about the differences and a lot of posts are subjective.

I just want what is more reliable and cheaper to maintain. My current opinion (after the short research) is that solid axel is cheaper and more reliable where as the IFS is safer and more comfortable ride.

I sent a private conversation to KLF but then realized I might as well just get wisdom from the crowd.

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers,
    Kevin H.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM
  5. Mudder

Mudder

It all depends on what your goals are. I personally would never drive a solid axle truck as a DD again unless I took the time to get the suspension all dialed in as my 84 road like a big rig. While my 89 was the second most comfortable vehicle I've driven.

6. 2ndGenToyotaFan

2ndGenToyotaFan Ice-Bound Moderator

My dad has been DDing an 84 4wd Toyota for..... 22 years now. he loves it!

Like above, interior parts may be tough to source, but almost anything is on Ebay used in decent shape...

"Just buy a poster" That's classic! :cheers:

7. kevinh

kevinh

Hey people,

Thanks Mudder! This ride comfort ability seems like a big issue.

Thanks 2ndgentoyotafan! A balanced source of opinions is great.

What do you all think of this one?
    It seems the best years were 1985 or 1985, in terms of what people want to buy.
    I read something about the 1983 model has a different component than the 84 and 85. Something about shorter factory truss.

FS or Trade: 1983 Toyota Hilux Pickup REBUILT ENGINE & NEW AC!

This one is nice in that it is cheap, has AC, is 4x4, seems like lots of new parts and a engine rebuild (but their ability/skills are unknown).

But I have a tinkering that I should wait for 85 or 86 (decide between SA or IFS).

Thanks again for your wisdom everyone!

Cheers,
    Kevin