Partial brake failure in my 2008 with 180k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was towing a light trailer today when my ABS, brake and traction control lights came on momentarily with a Check VSC system message. I pulled over and checked for codes but didn’t come up with anything. I headed back home and in the 25 miles they came back on momentarily probably 4 or 5 times. Then just as we were about home they came back on but this time with a loud as hell alarm and the brakes were suddenly spongy. I came back out after letting it sit for a while I started it up again. I took it for a test drive around the block and it’s like driving an old truck with no power brakes. Coming to a stop from 25 mph takes effort.

I searched here and didn’t see anyone with similar problems in the 200 series but I know there was a similar issue with 100 series except some people lost their brakes entirely. I’m guessing this is the same problem with the ABS module and brake booster. Anyone have any experience with this in the 200’s?

I should add that I checked the brake fluid level when I checked for codes. It was at the max fill line. After I lost power brakes it is well above that line.

Sounds like a failing accumulator. I had this on my 100 series, almost exac scenario

If it is just the accumulator it is about $275 online, 47950-60030

That would be great news compared to the cost of the larger brake MC components.

Sounds like a failing accumulator. I had this on my 100 series, almost exac scenario

I hope that’s all it is! How did you determine that it was the accumulator? I know the dealer is going to say replace it all. I just moved and don’t have a mechanic here yet.

I hope that’s all it is! How did you determine that it was the accumulator? I know the dealer is going to say replace it all. I just moved and don’t have a mechanic here yet.
Where is here?

FYI, Ended up having to replace the whole brake master cylinder. $4k. Ouch

FYI, Ended up having to replace the whole brake master cylinder. $4k. Ouch
Any more detail on the diagnosis and failure point? Dealer or Indy shop?

Any more detail on the diagnosis and failure point? Dealer or Indy shop?
The electric motor and computer failed according to the Indy shop. Not sure which one went first but it caused the other to fail as well.

Worst part is the master is essentially non-serviceable

Some vehicles need rebuilt trans at 180k miles for $4k. A lot of higher end Toyotas like the GX/LS/GS/4Runner/100/200/Prius with this master cylinder setup need it for around $4k when other vehicles its $100 for a MC.

Well documented these things fail at above 150k miles in all sorts of ways such as bad accumulator, bad booster motor, or an internal leak.

Were there regular brake fluid changes performed/documented prior to the failure? This has me wondering if that plays a role in this type of failure. I understand old fluid can contain moisture/water. In my other vehicles I have procrastinated doing flushes, going to keep up with them on the cruiser every couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom