parking brake cable issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
My 1983 HJ47 has an H42 in it and the parking brake cable is just a bit too short. I have a 350 with a Downey adapter in it....not sure if this is root of the issue.

The end of the brake cable has just the eye hole on the end and that's it. It comes through the floor about 3 inches but not nearly close enough to hook onto the brake handle.

I bought a 6" eye bolt and bent it up yesterday to try to get it to work. Spent 4 hours on it. Bent it all different ways. The brake either stayed locked or it wouldn't lock at all. Basically there wasn't enough travel on the eye bolt to move the cabe enough for locking the brake or disengaging it.

Is there any simple way to fix this? I was thinking of connecting another cable from the handle to the brake cable but I'm worried that in a real emergency it would be too weak and snap.

Thanks in advance.....

john

handle is located on the floor in front of the shifter. Brake is off the rear end of the xfer case

So it is like a 79-80 USA truck... AFAIK, there is only one stock length cable for that application.

If it is too short, than a custom cable will need to be sourced from Control Cables.

But, you said there is an eye on the end of the cable? Don't all the floor mount cables have a threaded end into the handle, for adjustment?

John,

I had to replace my e-brake cable a few months ago on my troopy. I ordered it from www.4x4world.com.au. They have several different lengths and their prices are good. However, the shipping is almost as much a the cable itself so order some extras. They can be a little challenging to order from, but are a lot cheaper than some places here in the US. Measure the one you have and add whatever extra length you need. I believe the stock cable is somewhere around 1950 mm. Send them an email and they can find you something that will work.

Chris

I did one from BTB. It ended up costing $145 shipped, and had a few minor fab issues that needed corrected. Do a search on my postings to find more data.

jC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom