Parking Brake adjusters work before the drums go on, now don't work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my parking brake stopped working effectively and the adjusters were't working. So I tore into both drums today. The adjuster's threads (the threads the star adjuster is on) were frozen on both sides. While I was in there I replaced the brake shoes. The bellcranks were fine but I cleaned and lubed them up anyway. I cleaned everything up and it was working perfectly before I put the drums back on. I adjusted them as far apart as possible and still put the drum on. Now the drums are on and they are not self adjusting with a yank of the wire or the hand brake.

Any thoughts?

If you got them relatively snug and slid the drums on there may not be enough slack to catch another notch. You could pull the drums and loosen the adjuster and then see if they'll tighten up with the parking brake. I just manually adjust the star wheel.

I usually put the drums on and run the adjusters out until the drums won’t turn. Then I back them off just to the point that the drums turn easily. Check that the lever motion feels good and good to go. The adjusters adjust over time and if you set them as far out as possible they won’t likely move much until things wear. Just keep an eye on your parking brake lever and watch it for degradation in lockup.

I tried to adjust them more to no avail. So I opened up the drums. On one side the cable that goes from the bellcrank to the brake shoe activator was broken, and on the other side it was not on its little swivel thingy, so it wasn't tight enough. I fixed that and now I have one side working awesome. Anyone know where to get those little cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom