Paint protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious to know if anyone has done anything similar to this with their LC.

full

I found that I was having to step on the hood/cowl area of my 77 to set up and take down the RTT, and it occurred to me that I’ve seen something like this to protect the paint from rocks and sand on my boots. I’d prefer not to drill or rivet into the sheet metal, but I figure good adhesive tape would do the trick. Are there any products that address this, or does no one have this issue?

I bought some real heavy gauge clear adhesive vinyl from a motorcycle supply company for my dirt bike and it really took a beating but when I pulled it off when I sold the bike the plastic and paint was perfect. That may be an answer for you. I transferred the files on the bike to the new owner or I would give you the name of the company I ordered them from. Good Luck and your idea is a good one!

3M makes a really good two sided tape. I might consider their clear protective barrier tape before
I taped the step pad to a flat surface to assist in stopping moisture from being stored between the
surfaces of the step pad and the painted truck. I like it, good idea to think about.

Check out Seadek. Designed for marine application. UV stable closed cell UVA foam with a very aggressive 3M adhesive backing. Peel and stick and designed for non slip. I am using some on my build.
Jay

Not normally in this forum area but putting anything in top of that paint is not going to protect it. With one exception being a layer of adhesive shaped to the bottom of the item being stuck on.

Case in point, car bras. Don’t see them as much anymore, but they were created to protect paint from bugs, dirt, road tar, etc. if you have ever pulled one off the front end of a car, the paint is destroyed under those things. Small sand and dirt get under them and act as grit on sandpaper. First goes the clear coat, then goes the paint, and then you are on metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom