Paint options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lumbee1

Native American
Threads
My paint is slowly but surely fading away. The clear has deteriorated so badly on the hood I can wipe it off with my hand. I still have a paint layer underneath that is holding up well but I am looking for a long term cheap solution.

Here are the options so far:
1) Monstaliner - they offer a blue that is a perfect match and it is cheap.
2) 50/50 - below body line will be monstaliner. above body line will be paint.
3) Clear - just clear the whole thing and stop the fading.
4) Peach/Maaco paint - IMO faded factory paint is better than a Maaco paint job.
5) Patina - leave it be until the rust starts. Long term care involves removing the rust and painting it with the first can I grab.
6) A REAL paint job - $$$$ and likely to be covered in scratches. This is what the wife wants but worst option.

Just looking for opinions.

If the body's relatively dent a scratch free - I agree with Marshall.

However, if it's already trail marked, I'd go with the option 2.

I say clear and if you are handy with a paint gun you can do it yourself for pretty cheap if you don't mind doing it every couple of years.

Hard choice to make considering how you use the truck. Re painting only to scratch it up again is enough to make you cry. I think maybe the 50/50 with just clear on the upper side. If you find you need to do it again in a few years maybe then paint the upper side. No matter the route you choose, it will only be temporary unless you stay out of the woods. :)

We've discussed similar with Heather's truck but keep coming back to what I said above.

Just re-clear the top surfaces and call it a day. Finding a shop to do this may not be easy. Ideally you'd want to strip all the flaking clear coat off and then clear it. Shops don't want to mess with this. They just want to spray and send you on your way.

My local paint store offers rattle cans of clear that are top quality and automotive grade. They are around $20 a can. Similar to this: CLEAR #1 CLEAR COAT

If it were mine, I'd try the rattle can clear first. If it turned out shoddy, just have a paint guy to re-paint and re-clear the hood and roof.

If you choose the DIY solution you'll want to apply at least three coats. When it dries, cut and buff with 2000 grit and an orbital sander for best results.

I am not handy with a spray gun. Can I apply clear with a paint brush? I'm only kidding, slightly. The body is in great shape. It's just the surface that isn't.

50/50
20089188475_464c6b1674_c.jpg

Monstaliner
attachment.php

4dc349029bdf1f2c07d59878ce65b523.jpg

I am not handy with a spray gun. Can I apply clear with a paint brush? I'm only kidding, slightly. The body is in great shape. It's just the surface that isn't.

50/50
20089188475_464c6b1674_c.jpg

Monstaliner
attachment.php

4dc349029bdf1f2c07d59878ce65b523.jpg

To be honest it could however with a brush you are not going to get a level coat and it will go onto thick for a vehicle a high quality clear coat that is oil based will level over time to remove a brush marks but its not good. If its being used on a trail I would say F it and buy the stuff in a can and do it every couple of years or annually if its not a large area its really not hard get a cheap can at autozone and practice on some scrap metal to get a feel for it and go from there. Or just line the whole thing if thats your thing. I personally don't like any of the line x type options and prefer a nice clear coat.

You can roll on monstaliner if you want. I covered a CJ5 inside and out with 2 gallons. Probably need almost that much for a full body paint, and probably just the 1 can for the 50/50.

Again, I say if your scratches and dents don't exist stay away from any liners. IMO.

I'm in the same boat as Jonathan, and looking at doing clear sometime when it gets warmer out. Thanks for posting all the great info.

I have never been a fan of covering a vehicle in that bed liner stuff. To me it just looks bad and doing it is a scorched earth scenario. You will never be able to go back and paint a vehicle that has been covered in it...at least not without adding a huge amount of labor and headache to remove it. I personally would rather see a car covered in cheapo spray paint than bed liner. At least it can be undone. Again, my opinion. It's your truck. Do what you want.

I have never been a fan of covering a vehicle in that bed liner stuff. To me it just looks bad and doing it is a scorched earth scenario. You will never be able to go back and paint a vehicle that has been covered in it...at least not without adding a huge amount of labor and headache to remove it. I personally would rather see a car covered in cheapo spray paint than bed liner. At least it can be undone. Again, my opinion. It's your truck. Do what you want.
I've seen a bad paint job before and it just makes me cringe. The paint is hazy and old looking. Monstaliner fits perfectly for the truck's environment but the wife certainly isn't sold on it.

I'm with her. I really think your truck is way too nice to cover in liner. You have a beautiful rig my friend.

Another point of view is that of re-sale and future collectibility of these trucks. We never thought 60's would be worth anything. Look at them now! The 80's are next whether you believe it or not. I would never buy a truck covered in bed liner and I have a feeling the future market will prove likewise.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy who painted a 40 with rattle can Rustoleum so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I'm with her. I really think your truck is way too nice to cover in liner. You have a beautiful rig my friend.

Another point of view is that of re-sale and future collectibility of these trucks. We never thought 60's would be worth anything. Look at them now! The 80's are next whether you believe it or not. I would never buy a truck covered in bed liner and I have a feeling the future market will prove likewise.

Oh, and this is coming from a guy who painted a 40 with rattle can Rustoleum so take it for what it's worth.
Stop being reasonable Dave!

I've decided that I have too much rust that I know about to risk using liner anywhere. It'll be spray cans once I've done enough damage to require paint. Hell, who am I kidding? It'll probably be latex and a brush knowing my lazy ass.

I've decided that I have too much rust that I know about to risk using liner anywhere. It'll be spray cans once I've done enough damage to require paint. Hell, who am I kidding? It'll probably be latex and a brush knowing my lazy ass.
I like the silver back window. What about doing the entire truck with silver tape?

My roof and hood had surface rust. Took the truck to Maaco for a $500 single stage and it came out great. No drips, looks fine. It's not a bad option, plus, you get to keep your beautiful nightshadow blue color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom