P0705 - P0500 - Shifter issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, decided to start a new thread, kind of have a lot going on right now. Resurrected two others that were close, but I’ve got new information now that makes it a little different.

Hazards were stuck on the other day after a car wash, also had my security light on while driving. so I tore all the interior out to inspect. Carpet, brackets, everything.

In the process, removed my shifter to clean up some spills from the PO. Upon installing the shifter again, no indicator lights on the dash, no speedo. Check engine light, pulled P0500 and P0705.

Have not found any evidence of water intrusion yet.

Got techstream going and received this
B8F0985C-B44F-4469-9E53-CC1A4522A06A.jpeg

Clearly I have done something wrong. Regardless if I fix the shifter, I still have my random hazard episode to worry about. I’m thinking I’ve left something unplugged but I can’t figure it out? Anyone?

Have done some more searching, and I believe the list of codes that I posted may be historical and not current. A thread by @2001LC discusses this. I found a harness plug empty, but I believe it's supposed to be empty because I can't find anything nearby to put in it.
empty harness.jpg

Heading back out to the garage to hit this again. Going to leave the battery disconnected while I get some stuff put back together and then start it up and run tech stream again. I've triple checked all my harnesses, and pulled some fuses on the passenger side.

A few fuses on the passenger side had a brownish haze on them, but it wiped right off. Not all had this, just the closest to the firewall. I also pulled the windshield cowl, can't see where any water is getting in. This is driving me nuts.

ABS/VSC lights are off now, still no speedo or gear shift indication though. Hosed the front of the car for several minutes, no water inside.

Looking at previous threads, the hazards being stuck on has come up, and it appears the issues are attributed to water ingress.

This started after my roof rack install, but I'm not seeing any evidence that water is coming in from there. I've had shifter issues since I bought it though. If you pulled it into D right it would go to 3. Sometimes putting it in neutral would leave it in D. In each case the indicator lights were always blank. My next step is to manipulate the shifter linkage from below and see if anything changes. Have to wait for my wife to help.

I'm going to list the other threads here to hopefully help others if they come across this.

Can someone who has had water leaks and similar issues please chime in?

How obvious would the water ingress be? I’ve got my carpet out, head under the dash, cool off, it’s rained, I’ve ran it through the car was and hosed it. No water. The consensus with my issues indicates water leak, but I can’t freaking find it.

Can someone who has had water leaks and similar issues please chime in?

How obvious would the water ingress be? I’ve got my carpet out, head under the dash, cool off, it’s rained, I’ve ran it through the car was and hosed it. No water. The consensus with my issues indicates water leak, but I can’t freaking find it.

You should remove the A pillar trim so you can get a good look at the inner side of the windshield seal. Pry off the little covers on the grab handles and remove the JIS screws. Then the handles will come off and the trim should lift up then out.

Could you check your voltage across the battery terminals, both with the engine off and with the engine running? Low voltage is known to cause a myriad of weird electrical symptoms in the 100 series.

Good suggestion. I’m about to do a battery test. Should have done it sooner. I was just dead set on it being water since I’ve had no trouble starting.

12.8 off, 13.8 running. Probably not the battery then I guess. All harnesses look fine. I’m going to leave the battery unhooked overnight.

I’m guessing when I first put the shifter back in, I forgot to connect the linkage, and shifted, it confused the car because the tranny was still in park but the shifter indicated it was in drive. Why it would still throw codes after being fixed, is what’s making me confused.

Today I’m going after the range sensor/park-neutral safety switch. Just need to find the dang thing on the trans. Now that I know what it looks like, should be able to find it. If anyone with an FSM could post a pic of the location I’d be your friend forever.

pnp2.PNG

pnp1.PNG

BTW, if you would like to take a look at the FSM for yourself, this is where I downloaded it. It's for the 2004 model year, but it should work for any 100 series with the A750 transmission (2003-2007). If you do take a look, there's an automatic transmission section, but also take a look at the very large diagnostics section. Starting on page DI-361, there is an extensive diagnostic flowchart related to troubleshooting automatic transmission problems.

Thanks, I’ll have to look again. I have one of those links but the pages were out of order. I was probably not looking close enough.

I’ve ordered the new park / neutral switch. Should be in tomorrow. Currently, still no speedometer, after my last reset the only code I’m pulling is p0705.

Hopefully the park neutral switch is what’s disabling my speedometer. Seems odd that it would fail along with two speed sensors so they must be connected.

Perhaps it was just a coincidence that it failed when it did. It had weird behavior in the shifter since I bought it, so I guess we will see!

It would be a very strange coincidence if the PNP switch just happened to fail right after you disassembled and reassembled the shifter. Are you worried that maybe during reassembly, one of the connectors didn't seat fully, or maybe there was some corrosion preventing a good electrical connection? It might be worth it to disassemble and reassemble again, after carefully studying the FSM. It might also be good to inspect all of the electrical connections and clean them with some electrical contact cleaner.

I'm following this thread closely because as you know, I had P0705 right after I bought my LX in 2016. It went away on its own after I disassembled/inspect/cleaned/reassembled the shifter and changed the battery. It bothers me that I never positively identified the root cause.

Yep, I traced the wiring and removed and plugged back in the sensors. I can't find anything that was left unplugged...

I felt the same, like it would be a strange coincidence if the switch failed, but given the issues I had when I bought it, I thought there was a chance. So... Just replaced the PNP switch, no change in symptoms. I would have left the old one on but the threads broke in removal so the new one went on.

I'm wanting to see if someone is willing to unplug their PNP switch and see what symptoms they have. That would confirm for me if it's in wiring or in the shifter.

Finally found it. I hadn't had time to sit and clearly go through everything. Kids, work, hard to get solid time to methodically check everything.

Well, it was a blown fuse. Passenger side, Gauge 2. Also near that fuse, the security fuse. No clue how it blew, but replaced it and I have my dash indicator back, all seems well.

In my research, it is referenced that the ECU seeing moisture causes similar issues. Perhaps it's the fuse panel there. I did find some fuses that appeared a little hazy on the contacts, but despite pressure washing, car wash, days of rain and thorough inspection, I could not find any water. Maybe it was previously in my cruisers life, but it's sealed up now. Still a little worried about my hazards showing up the other day with the vehicle off, but it hasn't happened since so I don't know what to do about that.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

IMG_6323.jpg

Hey all, resurrecting this thread as I now have the same problem. Speedo, rear camera, backup lights, etc, all stopped working. Found the same Gauge 2 10 amp fuse was blown, replaced it, everything worked for about 10 minutes, blew again. The problems showed up on a handful of dry days, no water, no washing the car. Do you know what that specific Gauge 2 fuse is connected to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom