p/s pump stopped leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone else had this experience? the damn thing leaked like a sieve when i bought the truck 11 mos. ago. even seized my smog pump, which was subsequently gutted and used as a tensioner. i used to have to add fluid about every other week. primarily used the lucas product and when i checked it the other day it was still full. the only mess i had was a little fluid on top of the pump, so i flipped the gasket on the cap (an idea i found on this site). voila, no more leaking. at least none to note. the damndest thing about it all is that i had already order the rebuild kit. guess i'll keep it just in-case. i've never heard of the seals re-conditioning but thought i would ask if this has happened to anyone else.

no, it's the lucas p/s steering fluid. the stuff's as thick as maple syrup and says that it will stop leaks but i didn't expect it to. the pump actually continued to leak for quite a while after i bought the truck but recently seems to have either stopped or slowed to a crawl. this is what i'm using.

Lucas Oil

no, it's the lucas p/s steering fluid. the stuff's as thick as maple syrup and says that it will stop leaks but i didn't expect it to. the pump actually continued to leak for quite a while after i bought the truck but recently seems to have either stopped or slowed to a crawl. this is what i'm using.

Lucas Oil

interesting. I may have to try that stuff. Ours leaks like crazy.

Mine stopped leaking after I took it out to gut the smog pump....
I think it's just the cold weather has caused the seals to swell, cutting of the leaks, (things expand when they get cold right, or is it the other way around?) I'm going to have to try flipping the gasket now too.

I don't trust things that "fix" themselves. I'd be ready for it to start leaking again at any time. JMHO.

the p/s pump must be empty?

fowldarr - i was thinking the same thing. it seemed to get better just as the weather changed. what ever the case, i've got the re-build kit if/when it starts leaking again. btw, love the desmog thread you posted. i've gotta do the same, just need to find a couple of days when i can be stranded at home since she's my DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom