Overlanding Honduras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I know a fair number of you that run the pan-american and do these international road trips use this forum. We just finished our Central American portion of the trip and A LOT of people we met skip Honduras, usually going for the El-Salvador - Nicaragua 2 borders in 1 day crossing. Anyways, with our truck being RHD we got turned around from Nicaragua and same with El Salvador... :confused:

That meant we ended up spending just over a month in Honduras. On OverlanderWiki it says it's probably the most corrupt country on the Pan-American but I just wanted to say if Honduras looks appealing you don't have to miss it nowadays. They cracked down REALLY hard on low level corruption a while back and with El-Salvador taking a no-tolerance policy it has really pushed Honduras even harder in the right direction. We hit MANY police and military checkpoints and there wasn't even a hint of corruption, they were super polite and professional, mostly curious about the trip. Now with that said, they've pretty much never even heard of camping, and we were warned about sleeping outside multiple times, so expect hotels (fairly cheap though). I wouldn't go out of my way just to visit Honduras though, but they do have some pretty beautiful and interesting places. We had MANY more issues with the police and cartels in Mexico, though we have been here nearly 6 months. So yeah don't shy away from Honduras long story short.

I made a documentary on our loop through the country as well, so if you're interested link below.

Max

Last edited:
Hey, thanks a lot for watching!
What do you guys shoot with? Do you work on the road or just fortunate enough to be able to go on extended travel adventures? I’m always curious of how people manage that.

Not knocking, just genuinely curious.

Also kudos for being able to work on your own stuff. So many people don’t have a clue and would have been at the mercy of the locals in your situation.

What do you guys shoot with? Do you work on the road or just fortunate enough to be able to go on extended travel adventures? I’m always curious of how people manage that.

Not knocking, just genuinely curious.

Also kudos for being able to work on your own stuff. So many people don’t have a clue and would have been at the mercy of the locals in your situation.

I'm using an Olympus OM-D EM1 MK2 with a few lenses, a DJI mini 3 PRO (drone) and a GoPro 8 or 9 I think it is...

And yeah no worries at all asking! I worked for the military and then as a private contractor in airborne surveillance for a few years, and took the money I had saved up for a down payment and started travelling. Nikki is an astrophysics major travelling on student loans. We're both going broke as we speak haha! We thought with our experience we could find a remote job that pays like $10 an hour within the 2 months we've been stopped (specifically to figure out how we're gonna keep going) BUT it's way harder than we anticipated.

We're supposed to send the truck to Colombia but if I do that I'll have a few thousand bucks left to my name, hardly enough to even make another documentary. We're deciding on what to do. Maybe go back to Belize and hammer out another video like this. If this one keeps its pace and we add a few more we can maybe make $1000 a month, which would be enough.

I'm using an Olympus OM-D EM1 MK2 with a few lenses, a DJI mini 3 PRO (drone) and a GoPro 8 or 9 I think it is...

And yeah no worries at all asking! I worked for the military and then as a private contractor in airborne surveillance for a few years, and took the money I had saved up for a down payment and started travelling. Nikki is an astrophysics major travelling on student loans. We're both going broke as we speak haha! We thought with our experience we could find a remote job that pays like $10 an hour within the 2 months we've been stopped (specifically to figure out how we're gonna keep going) BUT it's way harder than we anticipated.

We're supposed to send the truck to Colombia but if I do that I'll have a few thousand bucks left to my name, hardly enough to even make another documentary. We're deciding on what to do. Maybe go back to Belize and hammer out another video like this. If this one keeps its pace and we add a few more we can maybe make $1000 a month, which would be enough.

Very cool. To me it’s cool to see people chasing their dreams.
I dream about it all the time, but with a young family and 17 employees it’ll be A while before I could take even a month trip. So the weekends here and there suffice for now.

Are you guys still in Honduras?

Very cool. To me it’s cool to see people chasing their dreams.
I dream about it all the time, but with a young family and 17 employees it’ll be A while before I could take even a month trip. So the weekends here and there suffice for now.

Are you guys still in Honduras?

Yeah we're trying... It's not always easy. And hey I hear you... I don't have a family so that takes a large part out of the equation. Nonetheless, it's hard to leave your life behind... Especially if it's comfortable. But I sold everything, the truck and what's in it is all I've got now.

Nah we're in Mexico, Honduras wasn't our favourite place

Last edited:
Yeah we're trying... It's not always easy. And hey I hear you... I don't have a family so that takes a large part out of the equation. Nonetheless, it's hard to leave your life behind... Especially if it's comfortable. But I sold everything, the truck and what's in it is all I've got now.

Nah we're in Mexico, Honduras wasn't our favourite place

Definitely understand the leaving everything behind thing.

What is the #1 thing you could change about your setup? Living in it full time always brings this question to my mind.

Definitely understand the leaving everything behind thing.

What is the #1 thing you could change about your setup? Living in it full time always brings this question to my mind.

Ah man... It's all a money question. I would *like* an inside space. Everyone I meet with a Defender or Land Cruiser with a pop top makes me with I had one. A roof tent is outdoor living... But doable. We're gonna build more drawers eventually... Organization is key. Digging through stuff pisses me off. And finally, more solar and Starlink. I started off not even buying sim cards, just going completely off the grid. It was fun... but we need internet to make money, and it helps to have satellite feed for finding spots.

Ah man... It's all a money question. I would *like* an inside space. Everyone I meet with a Defender or Land Cruiser with a pop top makes me with I had one. A roof tent is outdoor living... But doable. We're gonna build more drawers eventually... Organization is key. Digging through stuff pisses me off. And finally, more solar and Starlink. I started off not even buying sim cards, just going completely off the grid. It was fun... but we need internet to make money, and it helps to have satellite feed for finding spots.

I think a pop top would be on the top of my list as well. I think it would have its plus and minus for sure.

Man storage has helped my trips so much, from a damn mess to enjoyable and knowing where stuff is saves me tons of time and stress.

I feel like starlink will change a lot of things for internet access, it’ll be clutch for journeys like yours.

Do you guys have a pateron or anything? When I was hot and heavy watching YouTube a few years ago a bunch of the bigger channels had one and I could see how the dollars would add up.

I think a pop top would be on the top of my list as well. I think it would have its plus and minus for sure.

Man storage has helped my trips so much, from a damn mess to enjoyable and knowing where stuff is saves me tons of time and stress.

I feel like starlink will change a lot of things for internet access, it’ll be clutch for journeys like yours.

Do you guys have a pateron or anything? When I was hot and heavy watching YouTube a few years ago a bunch of the bigger channels had one and I could see how the dollars would add up.

Yeeeaaaahhhh I'll be honest I f'd the Patreon thing up a bit. When I started the trip out I got a few Patreons and then I lost my camera charger right before crossing into Mexico.... I just couldn't make vids the way I wanted to and it was super demotivating, it made the vacation feel like a job. So slowly I stopped posting and uploading and everything just dropped off, which is fair, I didn't provide anything worth being a Patreon for.

It's just that after traveling non-stop for like 7 months I was craving actually doing something, we were FINALLY able to get another charger in Guatemala and luckily I got hooked back on video making. So yeah just a few days ago I started rebuilding the Patreon, going to start pushing it out again in the new vids, and essentially use it as an ad-free + blog + behind the scenes type thing.

Also using Amazon affiliate in the description for all the gear in the truck (which is pretty much everything to be honest). So yeah a few bucks here, a few bucks there... It adds up, travelling like this is cheap, it doesn't take too much (besides the initial cost of the build and shipping to south america).

Yeeeaaaahhhh I'll be honest I f'd the Patreon thing up a bit. When I started the trip out I got a few Patreons and then I lost my camera charger right before crossing into Mexico.... I just couldn't make vids the way I wanted to and it was super demotivating, it made the vacation feel like a job. So slowly I stopped posting and uploading and everything just dropped off, which is fair, I didn't provide anything worth being a Patreon for.

It's just that after traveling non-stop for like 7 months I was craving actually doing something, we were FINALLY able to get another charger in Guatemala and luckily I got hooked back on video making. So yeah just a few days ago I started rebuilding the Patreon, going to start pushing it out again in the new vids, and essentially use it as an ad-free + blog + behind the scenes type thing.

Also using Amazon affiliate in the description for all the gear in the truck (which is pretty much everything to be honest). So yeah a few bucks here, a few bucks there... It adds up, travelling like this is cheap, it doesn't take too much (besides the initial cost of the build and shipping to south america).

That’ll happen haha.

I struggle with shooting pictures of videos on our trips because I don’t want to live through a lenses, I want to actually live it. But I had to remind myself that I won’t always remember the memories like I think I will. So I started taking a few pictures and focusing on what’s important. So I definitely get the job aspect of the Patreon, however if it’s an income stream and you enjoy doing it it should be worth it.

I’m going to subscribe to the channel, hopefully watch your other videos and follow along! Keep up the traveling and enjoy life while you can!

That’ll happen haha.

I struggle with shooting pictures of videos on our trips because I don’t want to live through a lenses, I want to actually live it. But I had to remind myself that I won’t always remember the memories like I think I will. So I started taking a few pictures and focusing on what’s important. So I definitely get the job aspect of the Patreon, however if it’s an income stream and you enjoy doing it it should be worth it.

I’m going to subscribe to the channel, hopefully watch your other videos and follow along! Keep up the traveling and enjoy life while you can!

Hey right on thanks man, I'll be posting videos as much as I can

Any other adventures to post ?

Yes sir! We've been stopped working on the truck and arranging shipping for over a month now. Within a week or two we'll start filming another full-length video and then off to South America, everything will make sense. However, the next month or two will be a bit of a gap in the uploading just because we've been stationary for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom