Events/Trails Overland trip: Arizona BDR 3/28/19 - 3/31/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, it was a great trip as always and you couldn't have asked for a better weather. QuantumKiwi (Alex) showed up around 2am at Granite Gap and we showed up around 11pm Wed night. BenzFanatical (Chris), Pappy (Pappy) & Poupon (Larry) were already there enjoying the sun set.

I swear, we should rename this trip to WalmartBDR because that's what we did every day after breaking camp. Being the first camping trip for some of us meant that we forgot things or needed things for essentials, like Margaritas. Thurs morning found us at the Walmart in Douglas, AZ and eventually, we met up with Maynster (Kelly) and mom at Bisbee, AZ. Bisbee is a cool little town with old time stuff to check out. After picking up Kelly, we scooted over to the Coronodo National Memorial and grabbed Liveoak (Chris) and hit the trail. As we gained elevation, the scenery and vegetation changed as usual. Southern AZ is a beautiful place with several different species of Cacti and our resident botanist, Pappy, tried his best to educate the group on what we were seeing.

We lost Kelley and mom on saturday morning and Chris on Sat afternoon. They both had places to go and were far from home. Sat evening we lost Chris due to family issues so he high tailed it to Gallup. Sunday morning we got up and headed to the Mogollon rim visitor center but it was closed. The entire rim was closed due to snow, just a guess. Sat night, the temps got down to mid 20s, the coldest temp on this trip at 5500' elev. By the time we hit the visitor center, we saw snow in places and the air temp was quite brisk. Larry, Alex, Jessica and I headed into Payson, AZ to go check it out and grab some coffee.

On the way home we hit nasty traffic on I-40 at the AZ/NM border and of course weather. We hit another construction slow down near Laguna but we avoided it by taking frontage road and what was an abandoned asphalt road. The few cars that were avoiding the delays were playing dodge the giant pot holes. Suddenly the road ended and turned into a quagmire of mud and ruts for about 300 yards. The cars were having a heck of a time but we all made it and caught up to hwy 6 which dumped us back on to I-40.

I'm looking forward to continuing this trip the next time. The group got along well and brought something to the mix.

Link to my album AZBDR trail run with HDC March 2019

Here's Kelley (turned away from camera) and Alex, who is wearing shorts at around 45º air temp!

20190330_083806.jpg

Chris and Pappy's bromance......

20190330_085150.jpg

The gang at the Coffee Grounds coffee shop in Payson. A very nice, local neighborhood place to chill out.
20190331_111223.jpg

Last edited:
More pics....

20190330_121124.jpg

20190330_165750.jpg

20190330_172535.jpg

20190330_190739.jpg

The border fence consists of a stout vehicle barrier made out of welded sections of rail road tracks. We noticed the tracks missing in the nearby towns as we approached the border and I guess that's where they ended up!

20190328_125948.jpg

Maynster's setup
20190328_181447.jpg

Poupon setting up the Margarita bar
20190328_181450.jpg

20190328_125850.jpg

Margarita.jpg

Last edited:
Remember that strang blimp that was following us?

We figured it was a drone so this confirmed it. When we parked at the border, that might've raised a little interest. After that, I bet they got bored following us around!

Keep a lookout at the next breakfast for the Blimp.

speaking of border patrol, I think we were a hit when we went through an inspection station in So. Az. I pull up and the dude is smiling. "so, y'all are overlanding, eh?"
"umm, yeah. Doing the AZBDR"
"I have a 3rd gen that I can't seem to find the time to go wheeling. OH HEY, look at those 2nd gens. SQUIRREL"
I smiled and kept on going!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom