Overland Trailer Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to start building my trailer this winter/spring. I thought I'd post up a thread to document the process and to get some advise and input from guys who have done something similar. Don't know very much about the trailer. I think it's a home made trailer. I'm not sure how old it is either. I'd like to set it up primarily to tow behind my FJ40 for camping/overlanding, hunting and maybe bringing home some firewood. I picked it up for $300 about 12 or 13 years ago. I've used it for hauling trash, yard debris, flower bed bark, and even used it for my business to hall away tile we tore out. I have a larger dump trailer now for these other sort of projects so this trailer, for the last few years, has been used primarily for camping and bringing home small amounts of firewood from hunting trips. But it has just sort of fallen into this role little by little with very little effort or much forethought.

Here are few pictures I took of it the day I bought it.
IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0863.jpg
IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_2777.JPG
IMG_2778.JPG

Last edited:
My first thing to try to figure out is how to best change out the hubs so I can use FJ40 wheels on it. The current hubs are likely way too old to be changed over. I'll be double checking on that tomorrow probably. So I'll probably need to put together or buy a complete new axle. Kinda wondering if I Should put brakes on it. Maybe it will just be easier to get a Timbren Axle-less suspension. Won't need to figure out shocks or new leaf springs that way. Current tires are 31/10.50 15s and I'd like to put 33/10.50s on it so I need to lift it a little at least.

Last edited:
Pretty solid looking trailer. Looks like a pickup box off something. Looks close to a Willys I used to have but I dont believe it is. That might be part of a truck frame under it. If you want 33s you will need more clearance in those fender wells. Is the axle setting on top the springs or under the springs. The hubs should be able to be changed. Pull a hub and ged the bearing diameter inners and outer sizes. Go to a shop that specializes in trailer parts. I am pretty sure it will be able to make that swap.

Man if thats homemade, someone did a solid job on it. Looks manufactured to me from the photos but never seen one like that. Looks solid. Great deal on it. If it has leafs on it now I would keep that setup. If you need more clearance maybe go sprung over. Cool project. Thanks for sharing.

I took the hub off yesterday and took it into 2 different shops looking for a hub and bearings that would work on the spindle. We came up with nothing. So it's looking like I'm going to have to put a new axle under it of some sort if I want to have a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern on there. Looking through options now. What do ya think? Should I put brakes on it or no? If it comes to needing a new axle it looks like a Timbren set up is not very much more then other options because it will take very little effort for the installation.

Also talked to a friend of mine that owns one of the shops about making the sides of the trailer taller and building a better rack for the trailer. One that will raise and lower.

I realized too that I shared some pictures of the trailer the way it was when I bought it. But here are a couple of how I've got it now. Not too much different other then a few modifications to the rack and a tent on top.
KIMG0746.JPG
KIMG0747.JPG

Another thing I need to figure out is how long I should make the tongue. I know having a longer tongue is a good thing for backing the trailer but the tongue is currently about 6' long. What would be a good length on something like this?

I would do brakes...may not make much of a difference on dry roads, but you may appreciate it off road.

Well. Been getting some work done on this trailer. I'm really happy with how it's turning out so far. Had a new axle put on it, bought some FJ40 wheels and moved some of my old Toyo MTs of my 40 onto it. All the sides are extended up about 10". Will be mounting a 21 gallon water tank and a tongue box for the battery and electrical. Here is a few progress pics.

KIMG0808.JPG

KIMG0810.JPG

Starting to think of how to finish the trailer. Black or gray paint? Also wondered about doing monstaliner on it. Conserned there might be too many little edges and corners to hassle with for monstaliner though. What do you'll think?

Great work so far. Personal preference but I prefer black.

Updates? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom