Overland Journal Winch Test: 400 man hours - $15,000 investment - One winner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well agreed but the MM hydro just seemed like it would make sense to test unless the pure purpose of the article was to test electric only.

Bingo, they state that they wanted an apples to apples comparison. They talk about electric and hydro in the preamble though.

How did the Husky 10 do?

We have a few at work and they seem to outpull all of the 12k winches in the fleet, but very slowly (which I prefer for more control)

I think the results were that it was slow, and has a high power demand, but is proven to be highly reliable and durable. The worm gear design has benefits for powered descents.

I was hoping to see what the actual capacity of the 8274 was, but apparently the first winch they load tested at stall resulted in a snapped and sling-shotted line, so they dropped that test. :frown:

jury is still out for me on my 80....no real complaints with the 10k TMax that's on there now, it hasn't failed me (other than a shattered brake...easy fix...)

:rolleyes:

So what you're saying is, the TMax did fail on you.:flipoff2:
What's to keep the new brake from doing the same?

After seeing that Husky 10 apart, I'd run that.

I love my 20 year old 8274.

Milemarker Mosfet:rolleyes:----Show me one that's still working in 5-10 years.

So uh why wasn't a hydraulic winch tested out of the bunch? Maybe its just me but it seems like an incomplete test without it.

I can think of one reason - I know a fellow cruiserhead who has a hydraulic on one rig and put an electric on his next rig. Reason? He said that too many people had no idea how to run the hydraulic unit when asked, and decided on the more familiar for his next winch.

So what you're saying is, the TMax did fail on you.:flipoff2:
What's to keep the new brake from doing the same?

Milemarker Mosfet:rolleyes:----Show me one that's still working in 5-10 years.

I have a MM v10 MOSFET going on my 80 series...we shall see :)

the TMax brake shattered as a result of MY mistake during reassembly while clocking the lever assembly...one of the metal rings that retains the springs cracked...

pretty sure it won't happen again since I'm now smart enough to know HOW to reassemble :)

I can think of one reason - I know a fellow cruiserhead who has a hydraulic on one rig and put an electric on his next rig. Reason? He said that too many people had no idea how to run the hydraulic unit when asked, and decided on the more familiar for his next winch.

Is it REALLY that much different to operate? I really don't know so I gotta ask but from what I have seen they look pretty darn similar to operate.

Overland Journal's article didn't necessarily 'pick' a winner...

Just to clarify, we do have an "Editor's Choice" award and a "Value Award" both of which were earned by two winches in the review. And yes, we specifically chose to test only electric winches (no hydraulics). A test of hydraulics would be great to do for a future article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom