Overland Journal - NEW MAGAZINE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Retirement is just around the next bend!!!

Just checked out the Mag, Ordered a subscription and all the back issues Can't wait!!!! :clap:

fall issue

anyone have any clue when the fall issue will be out??

The Summer 2008 issue is out now. It will be available as a back-issue in the store soon. There are a bunch of good articles in this one. Of particular interest is an article I did on a 1998 middle-east spec 75-series cab chassis, turbo-diesel Land Cruiser that is legally registered in the U.S. If you go to the home page of Overland Journal you can see a good pic of it in the flash movie. I'm sure some of you may know of the pulitzer-prize winning photographer Jack Dykinga. Jeff Scott, another exceptional photographer and pro photo-journalist that contributes to our publication, goes out on a desert expedition with Jack, to El Camino del Diablo along the mexican border, and interviews him. He writes about their trip and they both have some great shots from the adventure. There's also a cool piece on jaguar cats from Mexico that have been coming up into southern Arizona. (These cats are so bad-to-the-bone that they hunt mountain lions.) And another epic road trip: To the end of the road in James Bay, Canada (the cover shot). We also have some detailed testing and reviews on off-highway expedition style camping trailers (5 models) and lots of lightweight ground tents. The tent article is particularly good, as our executive editor Jonathan Hanson conducted the tests. He's a veteran tent tester having been a regular equipment tester for Outside magazine. He has a nice collection from over the years ;) Anyway, he offers some really good insight into what makes a tent good (or bad) and tests some cool new models (one of them has no poles!)

:steer:

08sum_lg.jpg

08sum_spread.jpg

This issue:

Overland Post
Editor's Column
Editor's Project
News from the Trade
Diesel News
Overland News
Journey to the end of the road in James Bay, Canada, by Jim Young
Comprehensive test and review of overland-worthy trailers, by Chris Marzonie
Latitude, North America
Lightweight tent test, by Jonathan Hanson
Long-term Test: National Luna fridge, by Scott Brady
Feature Vehicle: 75-series Land Cruiser, by Chris Marzonie
A Desert Journey with Jack Dykinga, by Jeff Scott
On the Jaguar Trail, by Roseann Hanson
Discoveries: Nipton, Clifornia, by Roseann Hanson
Conservation Department
Overland Medicine Department: Cuts and S****es
Classic Kit: The Naturalist's Gun, by Steve Bodio
Tail Lamp: Falling in Love with a Motorcycle, by Christine Jeske

just sent my subscription....will I get Summer 2008 as my first issue or start with FALL? I have back issues through SPring 2008 already....so if any chance would love to keep my string of issues going. Great Magazine.
I got a subscription and some mags for a TLCA event my club is sponsoring and read a couple of the sample mags sent.....I was instantly enthralled...especially with the photography and content...and of course the FJ60 conversion to diesel they are starting since I also have an FJ60 4spd that would love a diesel 5spd conversion to make her get driven more than my FJCruiser. LOL

Thanks again...:popcorn:

anyone have any clue when the fall issue will be out??

Good question! The Fall Issue began shipping to subscribers on Sept 30, and will be available as a back-issue soon. This is our largest issue yet, at over 130 pages. You can see the Flash animation for the new issue at Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Magazine: Overland Journal and here is another sneak peek:

08fal_lg.jpg

08fal_spread.jpg

This issue:

Overland Post
Editor's Column
Publisher's Project
News from the Trade
Diesel News
Overland News
Sahara: The Empty Quarter, Part II, by Chris Scott
Family Tent Test, by Chris Marzonie
Latitude, In Cold Blood
Trans-Vermont Expedition, by Peter Vollers
Plumbing the Depths: Copper Canyon expedition, by Bob Hazel
Riding Where the Map is a Suggestion, by Andrew Moore
The Dash Behind the Flash: G4 Challenge, by Tom Collins
Pinnacle Overland Vehicles, by Scott Brady
Building a Pinnacle Vehicle, by Scott Brady
Long-Term Test: Garmin GPS, by Roseann Hanson
Conservation Vehicle: 60-Series Land Cruiser project
Conservation Department
Overland Medicine Department: Broken Bones
Discoveries: Saddleback Leather
Skills: The Hi-Lift Jack, by Bruce Elfstrom
Overland Chef
Classic Kit: The Bushcraft Knife, by Jonathan Hanson
Tail Lamp: Circumstance, by Sinuhe Xavier

just sent my subscription....will I get Summer 2008 as my first issue or start with FALL? I have back issues through SPring 2008 already....so if any chance would love to keep my string of issues going. Great Magazine.
I got a subscription and some mags for a TLCA event my club is sponsoring and read a couple of the sample mags sent.....I was instantly enthralled...especially with the photography and content...and of course the FJ60 conversion to diesel they are starting since I also have an FJ60 4spd that would love a diesel 5spd conversion to make her get driven more than my FJCruiser. LOL

Thanks again...:popcorn:

You must be the Lowcountry Land Cruisers winner. Congratulations! I hope the event was a lot of fun. Regarding your subscription, if you just sent it in, you will probably not receive your first issue until the Winter 2008 edition. This is because we have a deadline for the subscriber list that goes in to the printer while the issue is being printed. If you were not on the list yet, you will receive the next regular shipment (next issue) from the printer. You can purchase the Summer 08 as a back-issue, and the current (Fall 08) will also be available as a back-issue within the next few days at our online store: www.overlandjournal.com/store . Thank you very much for the compliments on the magazine, we appreciate it. And thanks for your support. :cool:

The Winter 2008 issue is now available. :bounce::bounce2:

08win_lg.jpg

08win_spread.jpg

This issue:

Overland Post
Editor's Column
Publisher's Project: KTM 950 Adventure
News from the Trade
Diesel News
Overland News
Libya: Archaeological Expedition, by Toby Savage
Dual Battery System Review, by Chris Marzonie
Latitude, Forces of Nature
Leaving: South America in an unlikely vehicle, by Lorraine Chittock
Night into Day: Flashlight Review, by Jonathan Hanson (a.k.a. Flashlight Man)
Long Term Field Test: Stoves, by Scott Brady
Ready for a Circumnavigation: Global Expedition Vehicles, by Jonathan Hanson
Trail of the Turtles: 35 Years of Turtle Expedition, by Gary Wescott
Hole-in-the-Rock: Exploring Utah's Red Rock Country, by Graham Jackson
Conservation Department
Overland Medicine Department: Traveler's Diarrhea
Skills: Overland Water Supply, by Graham Jackson
Overland Chef
Classic Kit: The Hurricane Lantern, by Jonathan Hanson
Tail Lamp: Chasing Land Rover Legends in Africa, by Jonathan Hanson

We also have a holiday offer running through Jan. 12, 2009.

I took advantage of the Holiday special. Really enjoyed reading the premier issue, and am looking forward to the first one of my subscription, I can only imagine it has gotten better with some experience under your belt!

I took advantage of the Holiday special. Really enjoyed reading the premier issue, and am looking forward to the first one of my subscription, I can only imagine it has gotten better with some experience under your belt!

Thanks for the support. You're about to get your first subscription issue :)

Images of the new Gear Guide below, and a new flash preview on the homepage

09gear_lg.jpg

09gear_home_page.jpg

09gear_spread.jpg

And a sneak peek at the winch test: YouTube - Overland Journal Winch Test

Just got my copy today love it, and just in time I had just finished the 2008 back issues I ordered.

Excellent Job as always

OK, it's time for an online sample issue! :)

08sum_sample.jpg

For those of you that haven't had a chance to read the magazine and see what's it's like inside, we have made an entire issue available as a free sample in PDF format. The issue we chose is the Summer 2008 edition, as we are very low on physical stock of this back-issue and it is currently only available as part of the 2008 Field Set. It's one of my favorites because I got to do a story on this 75-series that lives in Colorado at Proffitts Cruisers. . .

08sum_tlc75_med.jpg

I also did an extensive testing and review session of five camping trailers suitable for the trail: Adventure Trailers (Chaser and Horizon models), Campa, Kamparoo, and Jumping Jack.

08sum_trailers_med.jpg

That's only two of the articles, but the issue is loaded with lots of great stories and articles.

Download your copy here: Overland Journal sample issue (about 79mb) And of course, if you like what you see, please subscribe and support our independent publication.

Enjoy! :)

I just subscribed.... what would be the best issue so far if I wanted to buy a back issue. I have the first one and the 09 gear guide so far.

I just subscribed.... what would be the best issue so far if I wanted to buy a back issue. I have the first one and the 09 gear guide so far.

Thank you for your support! If you go to the website you can see a list of all the articles for each issue, which might help you decide. A couple of my favorites are the Winter 07 and Winter 08 issues.

It's also time for a glimpse of the latest issue, which will be available soon:

Spring 2009

09spr_lg.jpg

09spr_spread.jpg

In this issue:

Overland Post
Editor's Column
News from the Trade
Diesel News
Overland News
Report: Overland Expo 2009, by Scott Brady
Angola: Red Tape, White Knuckles, and Brown Mud, by Lois Pryce
Camp Chair Review, by Jonathan Hanson
Latitude, Image Gallery
Kenya: Pioneering a new tourist circuit, by Jonathan Hanson
The Stuff of Dreams: Toyota Land Cruiser 45-series Troopie, by Chris Marzonie
Great Expectations: Adventure Motorcycle Jacket Review, by Jonathan Hanson
Home on the Road: Touring the country with your family, by Mark D. Stephens
Conservation Department
Overland Medicine Department: Traveler's Diarrhea, part II
Skills: Safe and effective use of the winch, by Bruce Elfstrom
Overland Chef
Classic Kit: The Michelin XS Desert Tyre, by Tom Sheppard
Tail Lamp: The Road to Sturgis, by Erica Ryberg

Just purchased my 2year subscription,can't wait till it arrives.

I was just wondering to myself if I'd let my subscription lapse, or if I'd missed one. Looks like the spring 2009 should be here soon. I can hardly wait.

Between Overland Journal and Trails, I've got the best magazine subscriptions EVER.

Dan

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

It's time again for a new issue. Some highlights are the trip stories: Scott Brady on the Trans-America trail (traverses western U.S.), Isaac Taylor & Jennifer Coogan in India and the Himalayas, Tom Sheppard in Algeria, and Lois Pryce in Angola. Cool gear articles: A test and comparison of a bunch of vehicle recovery kits that are currently on the market, Folding knives, and how to assemble an LPG cooking and lighting kit for your vehicle.

09sum_lg.jpg

09sum_spread.jpg

In this issue:

Overland Post
Editor's Column
News from the Trade
Diesel News
Overland News
Expedition Reads
Angola: Red Tape, White Knuckles, and Brown Mud, part two, by Lois Pryce
Recovery Kit Test, by Scott Brady
Latitude, Image Gallery
Hight Tea with the I.T.B.P: Journey into the Himalayas, by Isaac Taylor & Jennifer Coogan
Best of Breed: Folding Knives, by Jonathan Hanson
Edge Pro Apex Sharpening System, by Jonathan Hanson
Algeria Solo: Adventure in an unproven vehicle, part one, by Tom Sheppard
Feature Vehicle: Tom Sheppard's Mercedes Benz G-Wagen, by Tom Sheppard
The Trans-America Trail by motorcycle, by Scott Brady
Long-Term Field Test Updates, by Jonathan Hanson & Andrew Moore
Overland Conservation, by Roseann Hanson
Overland Medicine: Third Degree Burns, by Dr. Edward Beggy
Skills: Assembling an LPG Cooking and Lighting Kit, by Jonathan Hanson
Overland Chef: Preparing Quality Meats, by Roseann Hanson
Classic Kit: The Woodman's Pal, by Christophe Noel
Tail Lamp: Recovery Techniques in Three Points, by Jonathan Hanson

Hi All.
Been subscribed for a year. Just orders most of the back issues. My :princess: wouldn't let me get the whole collectors set. Also saw the Dangerous Drives episode featuring Scott and some sweet AEV jeeps and a nice Rover. Great episode, looked like an epic trip. Keep up the great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom