Overflow Bottle always low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the last month I noticed that that each time I filled up the overflow bottle, within a week it was very low.

I checked all the obvious hoses including the PHH. No signs of leaking.

The :princess: and went out of town for a week and I left it in the garage. To my surprise, I discoverd a small red puddle below the passenger side.

I got my drop light and look up and saw the following...

If you guessed rear heater lines.. bingo you got the prize
IMG_20110303_213514.jpg
IMG_20110303_213713.jpg
IMG_20110303_213503.jpg

Options..

So I searched on mud and weighed the option of replacing the rear section with all silicone hoses or go factory hard lines..

I decided to order the original metal lines from Toyota World in Delaware for about $100. I will replace the rubber pieces with silicone hose and stainless clamp until I can get the constant tension clamp.

I ordered # 2 in the picture, #3 comes with it. i will replace #1 with silicone hoses.
FZJ80 Rear Heater Pipe.jpg

Mine just let go about two weeks ago. I did the rear heater bypass for now. Once it warms up ill cut them off and re-plum with silicon heater hose.

A dremel comes in handy.

P8nt, that was one option I looked at but decided go with hardlines. I am thinkon to paint them with rustoleum before installing them.

I never paid attention when I was under there before, and being that I don't have a garage I'm not crawling under there until the weather improves. Is the section your talking about replacing hard to get at? I'm wondering if the heat shield will have to come down.

I think the sheild has to come down. In the 2nd picture the line dips behind the shield and comes back out in picture 1. It doesnt look like you can cut it out w/o removing the shield.

Is the section your talking about replacing hard to get at? I'm wondering if the heat shield will have to come down.

I was just down there swapping in a new cat & it looked like the sheild has to come off, or that if you didn't you would spend so much time working around it that it wouldn't make sense not to pull it for the ability to make everything more accessable.

- kinda like when doing major motorwork that it's just smart to pull a big ARB bumper (or whatever with a big brushguard & winch, etc.) off versus working over the top of it.

Same thing happened to mine two years ago. I replaced it as well, and just had to touch up the rust again on the forward pair of pipes where they end just just above the frame. Back then it was cold outside even in my garage, so I just used rustoleum painted on with a brush, and now you couldn't tell by the amount of rust that I had done anything two years earlier. I actually believe the rustoleum made it worse. This time around I used a product from Eastwood I got a few years ago and installed a 240VAC 4000W heater in the garage which got things warm enough to use the Eastwood stuff (needs to be at least 68F). I hope it helps stop/ slow down the rust as I wouldn't want to RR the front pipes:crybaby:.

Eastwood Rust Converter - Convert Rust in One Step

I thought you couldn't get to those lines without dropping the tranny???

I thought you couldn't get to those lines without dropping the tranny???

They come in 2 pieces (see post#2). The front line(PN#87209b) is the one you need the tranny out of the way to replace it. Note the 2 tabs close to the top of the lines.

I believe Beno mention separating them and fishing them through. He had the Head off when he did it.

Last edited:
They come in 2 pieces (see post#2). The front line(PN#87209b) is the one you need the tranny out of the way to replace it. Note the 2 tabs close to the top of the lines.

I believe Beno mention separating them and fishing them through. He had the Head off when he did it.

Yes, this is how I did it. Cut the connecting brackets/tabs and pushed each line up over the tranny hump on either side.

Thanks Beno.

I stopped at Toyota World, in Newark DE today and picked up the rear section of pipe and will install it tomorrow using silicone hoses.

New parts

Pictures of the New Lines, hardware(got extra) and 1/2 inch Silicone hoses
IMG_20110306_105718.jpg
IMG_20110306_105729.jpg
IMG_20110306_110024.jpg

New line installed

If you about to try this project, remember to PB the Heat shield bolts for a week before to trying to take it apart. I actually broke 2 of the 4 bolts.

To avoid this, use a mini butane torch to heat the bolts and nuts before trying to pull them.

Remember to disconnect the front O2 sensors before trying to fish the heat shields out. Also the smaller of the 2 shield has a separate bolt that goes into the rocker panel, hidden behind the CAT.

Next step is to clip the clamps off(2 of mine were rusted off) and remove the hoses from the rear heater and the front lines. I had very little antifreeze come out when I did this(less that a quart).

Snake out the old line by shifting it rear and then tip the front side out first.

Install in reverse. Make sure you check your new clamps and replace all the heat shield bolts. :cheers:
IMG_20110306_142318.jpg
IMG_20110306_142358.jpg
IMG_20110306_142404.jpg

More Pics

1st pic, The old line broke apart in my hands once I took them out.

2nd pic show shields re-installer

3rd picture shows where I had to use a sheet metal retainer to screw both shields together since I broke 2 botlts
IMG_20110306_130755.jpg
IMG_20110306_144429.jpg
IMG_20110306_144421.jpg

I'm curious how often you guys use the rear in the winter. I have kids in the middle row of mine on a regular basis, but I usually just use the front dash heaters to heat the truck. Sometimes I forget I even have a rear heater. I'm doing a HG as PM on the 93 and I am considering bypassing the rear heater all together to avoid this mess since we rarely use the rear heater.

Has anyone done this and regretted their decision? $100+ for lines is kind of steep for something I rarely use. If the heater had outputs to the third row or high up in the second row, I'd replace the lines without hesitation. But IMO the second row floor heater kind of seems low yield to me.

I'm curious how often you guys use the rear in the winter. I have kids in the middle row of mine on a regular basis, but I usually just use the front dash heaters to heat the truck. Sometimes I forget I even have a rear heater. I'm doing a HG as PM on the 93 and I am considering bypassing the rear heater all together to avoid this mess since we rarely use the rear heater.

Has anyone done this and regretted their decision? $100+ for lines is kind of steep for something I rarely use. If the heater had outputs to the third row or high up in the second row, I'd replace the lines without hesitation. But IMO the second row floor heater kind of seems low yield to me.

My rear heat is on almost everyday during the winter months. It helps to melt/ dry out the snow my kids leave on the rear carpet, and I think it helps a bit in warming up the rear cargo area of the truck which also helps to defog the rear windows. It is a bit steep (I think I paid CAN$130) for mine, but this is almost the same price for a full tank of gas right now where I live (96L x $1.22/L = $117.00):crybaby:.

i don't have kids so my backseat only gets used by the dog on occasion, so i just cut those out completely and removed the rear heater. now i've got a nice area for storage under my front seat.

There are a couple resaon why folks decide to by pass or not....

Mine was comfort.. During the winter months i like a toast truck without heat blowing directly on me. Rear heater on low and the main on foot and defrost keep me and the :princess: very comfy.

Our typical drive to the ski slopes is about 1hr 45mins and when we have friends along, everyone is very comfortable.

I also like to keep as much of what Mr Toyota gave me

No Regrets..... :cheers:

1st pic, The old line broke apart in my hands once I took them out.

2nd pic show shields re-installer

3rd picture shows where I had to use a sheet metal retainer to screw both shields together since I broke 2 botlts

You did a god job removing the hard line that runs to the rear heater. And they look BAD. Are you not worried about the hard line that runs above the transmission to the firewall? They have to be in the same condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom