Overfill of Brake Reservoir (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife took the 2000 100 to dealer yesterday for express lube. They overfilled the brake reservoir and there was about 2 oz's of brake fluid on the garage floor this morning and the VSC ABS lights came on. The drip line goes over the top of the reservoir, crosses some wires, down the inner fender, along the axle and to the ground.

Took it back to the dealer and they are hemming and hawing. Anyone know what problems could be caused by overfilling brake reservoir?

Real time help needed to keep the dealer from coming up with excuses.

Thanks Trunk Monkey.

They just called back saying they pulled code C1231 and that I need both a steering angle sensor and a new ECU. Were looking at a couple of thousand . . . .

Getting in my 98 to go pick up the 2000 right now. Talked to my independent mechanic and he said "it's always a bad sign when the dashboard lights up after an oil change." He thinks it maybe as simple as a wire that was knocked loose or fouled. Taking it there right now. Will not replace the ECU as these come back (when tested at factory) 90 percent of the time as still good.

Last edited:
I asked the same question and the Toyota guy said it was in the steering column inside the cab.

Just got back from the idependent mechanic and he said he would look at it in the next day. His best guess at this time is the $8 an hour Toyota mechanic in the express lube knocked something out when he was under the car yesterday.

I trust my independent shop as they are former Toyota mechanics who formed their own shop some 20 years ago. (The oil change at Toyota is a loss leader, so I usually take advantage of that service. Well, at least I use to).

When I told the dealer not to touch it and I would pick it up, that hit a raw nerve with them . . . :D

Note on checking brake fluid:
Level to be checked without pressure in the booster.
Means: With ignition off, press the brake pedal fully in about 25-30 times. Then check fluid level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom