Over inflating tires +15psi? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently added air to my tires KO2 DT and ride improved greatly (was 32psi now 48psi, supposed to be 37). I am thinking ride will further improve at 53-58psi, my back wont feel like a slinky, is there any dangers in doing this? FYI 48psi became 42psi in cold.

Might want to read this:

Might want to read this:

Thanks, I read similar articles. I have KO2s which are like 16 ply tires so I am not worried of a blow out. I have the DT versions which are known as forever tires according to Pepboys and have no wear even after 100k miles. I am slightly concerned about compromised handling in snow/ice. We are getting snow showers thursday so I will test how compromised that day.

On my dads mercedes S550 it makes a hell of a difference overinflated tires by 15psi. Much smoother/comfortable ride. He told me to do it so I did it. Otherwise I am usually about following the spec.

So i tried another additional +10psi so total +20psi over and it did not handle as well but made truck ALOT taller, 1/2-1". Ride was a bit bouncier than 46psi (+10psi), at the moment I feel 46 is the right number but will try 50psi.

"according to Pepboys" - You have more faith than most

Over-inflating generally causes a harsher ride so I question your testing and analysis methods.

The two primary concerns with doing this is tire being more susceptible to damage when trying to fend off road obstacles (pot holes, debris, etc.) and a shrinking contact patch because the tire is starting to balloon. The latter will inherently cause less traction not only because of the smaller patch, but worsen handing as the rubber isn't flexing as designed when conforming to the asphalt (not to mention uneven wear because of the tire shape).

YMMV, literally.

"according to Pepboys" - You have more faith than most

Over-inflating generally causes a harsher ride so I question your testing and analysis methods.

The two primary concerns with doing this is tire being more susceptible to damage when trying to fend off road obstacles (pot holes, debris, etc.) and a shrinking contact patch because the tire is starting to balloon. The latter will inherently cause less traction not only because of the smaller patch, but worsen handing as the rubber isn't flexing as designed when conforming to the asphalt (not to mention uneven wear because of the tire shape).

YMMV, literally.
And as the tire warms up while driving, the tire pressure will increase. You'll be wearing out the center tread of the tire as mentioned earlier. What is the max pressure rating of the tire?

The All-Terrain T/A KO2 DT has a "different tread" compound that is designed specifically for higher torque trucks and SUVs, providing durability in gravel and rougher terrains. CoreGard Technology offers greater sidewall puncture resistance and Locking 3D Sipes add to the tire’s superior stability and durability.

With BFG's laser-focus on extreme performance, it should come as no surprise that the BFG KO2 DT is engineered for nonstop thrills.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 DT Features

• Drive confidently with 20% tougher sidewalls thanks to patented CoreGard Technology
  • Travel further thanks to Locking 3D Sipes that provide superior tread block stability and more even wear
  • Blaze a trail with a groundbreaking Serrated Shoulder Design that offers increased mud, snow, and rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations

Website shows Max 80 psi. E1 Load range (its only 10 ply at 80psi). My tires have 100k miles and still have full tread, no wear according to pepboys who hate when I come for my free alignments.

I am still driving at 56 psi currently, the vehicle feels more floaty and steering a bit twitchy. Reminds me of Lexus LX570 not feeling contact to the ground/road imperfections. I could not get tire to fill past 56psi. This is a small test as light snow is coming tomorrow and I wanted to see how it handled on bad weather. I don't like the floaty, twitchiness but I like being taller. I will see if I can measure height, previously I was 6'6'. My LX470 is 6'8"

The All-Terrain T/A KO2 DT has a "different tread" compound that is designed specifically for higher torque trucks and SUVs, providing durability in gravel and rougher terrains. CoreGard Technology offers greater sidewall puncture resistance and Locking 3D Sipes add to the tire’s superior stability and durability.

With BFG's laser-focus on extreme performance, it should come as no surprise that the BFG KO2 DT is engineered for nonstop thrills.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 DT Features

• Drive confidently with 20% tougher sidewalls thanks to patented CoreGard Technology
  • Travel further thanks to Locking 3D Sipes that provide superior tread block stability and more even wear
  • Blaze a trail with a groundbreaking Serrated Shoulder Design that offers increased mud, snow, and rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations

Website shows Max 80 psi. E1 Load range (its only 10 ply at 80psi). My tires have 100k miles and still have full tread, no wear according to pepboys who hate when I come for my free alignments.

I am still driving at 56 psi currently, the vehicle feels more floaty and steering a bit twitchy. Reminds me of Lexus LX570 not feeling contact to the ground/road imperfections. I could not get tire to fill past 56psi. This is a small test as light snow is coming tomorrow and I wanted to see how it handled on bad weather. I don't like the floaty, twitchiness but I like being taller. I will see if I can measure height, previously I was 6'6'. My LX470 is 6'8"
Wow! I have never gotten 100k miles out of a set of KO2s, even with regular rotations and alignments. 65k to 75k and they are getting pretty shot. I run mine at 55psi as I have found this is wear I get even wear on half ton pickups and my LX.

Higher pressures should decrease the ride quality due to the stiffening of the sidewall, lower pressures allow the sidewall to absorb more impact from the road.

I had 2 sets of regular KO2s before this which each lasted 40-45k miles before giving serious wear issue which usually destroyed all brake rotors/pads. The DT version last super long but are not as nice in snow new, in some ways better when compared to KO2s with mileage.

Is it possible that my sidewall is too stiff due to coreguard technology?

It turns out I am not overinflating according to toyota for tundras and seqoias. It is dead on, but I am super surprised how +8 more psi changes the vehicles characteristics completely:
tire-label-png.1304479

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom