Other than LC Projects Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Laura has been working hard refinishing our master bedroom. She removed the popcorn ceiling, repaired/patched all the drywall, then painted both the ceiling and walls. Today I added crown moulding. Felt good. Door/window trim next.

IMG_20200530_162725.jpg

MVIMG_20200530_162712.jpg

Laura has been working hard refinishing our master bedroom. She removed the popcorn ceiling, repaired/patched all the drywall, then painted both the ceiling and walls. Today I added crown moulding. Felt good. Door/window trim next.

View attachment 2324586

View attachment 2324587
Oh man, I removed exactly one room worth of popcorn ceiling in my life. I’d burn the house down and start from scratch before doing it again.

Oh man, I removed exactly one room worth of popcorn ceiling in my life. I’d burn the house down and start from scratch before doing it again.
That's why God invented bead board! We have popcorn ceilings as well. When the time comes bead board is going in. Laminating it with 3/8" sheet rock is also popular.

Smart man using the pre-fab corners. I had to learn the hard way 😒

It's not that hard once you do enough of it. First piece straight into the corner, second piece mitered. Cut upside down and backward in the power miter and finished off with coping saw. Cut the piece 3/32 long and snap it into place. I was a builder for years and ran 3-5 piece crown molding a lot when I was trimming houses.

I got tired of tripping over it so it got cut up. sanded down and going to a social distancing birthday party. Most parks are closed. Rented a camp site for the day at Morrow Mt.
So who doesn’t like blocks to play with? Even if your son is turning 47!!
Definitely a Covid day project.
A553B8A2-1C7E-4D06-8644-6091A1379F2E.jpeg

Smart man using the pre-fab corners. I had to learn the hard way 😒

Lol, yup. I used mitres when I did the crown in my living room. Wanted something more substantial in the corners this time.

Nice work @coinoperated40 !! I'm a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy... I'm going to try to tackle this live edge mantel with the limited tools, knowledge and skill I have > what could go wrong :rofl:

Got to get back to normal so the wife will quit watching home improvement videos and starting new projects

mantel.jpg

Also, removing the popcorn isn't that bad in our house as it's not sealed/painted over. Spray with some water and scrape it off with large putty knives. It's a lot of work, but not too bad.

Martin had a hell of a time with his house's ceilings though. Iirc he had to mud the whole thing to make it flat, just couldn't get the popcorn down.

Nice work @coinoperated40 !! I'm a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy... I'm going to try to tackle this live edge mantel with the limited tools, knowledge and skill I have > what could go wrong :rofl:

Got to get back to normal so the wife will quit watching home improvement videos and starting new projects

View attachment 2325434

looks like a good project. Is it Cedar? After cutting mine up and riding in the car to Morrow Mt, it is Cedar. Nice smelling ride.
FF538F94-AF2B-402C-9269-0E3AB536B37D.jpeg

Curupau... not super familiar with it but the grain looks good with the decor so we decided to try it. Have to 'German smear'?!? the fireplace and then I can hang it, probably a couple weeks

Continuing with the trim work. Will be finished tomorrow. I'm very happy with how this came out. Still needs paint.

IMG_20200603_180235.jpg

Continuing with the trim work. Will be finished tomorrow. I'm very happy with how this came out. Still needs paint.

View attachment 2328964

Getting all Bob Villa up in there!

Looks good. I've aways liked the more substantial looking door/window casings, but have never been willing to pay for it up front. Always end up doing it myself later.

Does new Bosch dishwasher count? The old GE puked all over the floor.

On the bright side, I now know what 44 dB sounds like. Unbelievably quiet machine!

20200605_150000.jpg

A mini-project but it has been on the to-do list for some time.

More drawers!

The stars finally aligned when @fj40z had some drawers to get rid of and traded me for a squirrel fan (another COVID project ... not because I needed a fan but to fight off boredom).

Physics on everyone!

Resized_20200418_111744.jpeg

20200607_154237_resized.jpg

20200607_111617_resized.jpg

20200607_125830_resized.jpg

20200607_154136_resized.jpg

A mini-project but it has been on the to-do list for some time.

More drawers!

The stars finally aligned when @fj40z had some drawers to get rid of and traded me for a squirrel fan (another COVID project ... not because I needed a fan but to fight off boredom).

Physics on everyone!

View attachment 2332550

View attachment 2332551

View attachment 2332552

View attachment 2332553

View attachment 2332554

Man I was just thinking about doing something similar with the ones I had left. That turned out nice and I love the squirrel fan!

I have been working on my own COVID project. No pics to share as it's not glamorous work.

Our house is a brick ranch that was built in the late 60s. When we purchased it in 2013 I replaced all the original single pane wood windows with new vinyl replacement windows. I redid all the interior trim and sealed up the exterior areas as required. We haven't messed with much exterior maintenance of the window trim yet (aside from annual house washing)...but after the most recent wash, it was evident some loving was needed. The sealant b/w the window casing and brick was years of built up s***ty applicant after another. Cracked, messy, etc.

First step was to remove all the old sealant from both the casing/trim and brick. This was knuckle bleeding work with a scraper, chisel and box cutter. Took me a couple days to do all 11 windows. Next I primed all the trim with Kilz...having no clue what type of paint was used previous (oil, latex, lead, etc.) Next step was using window expanding foam where the gaps b/w the brick and trim required it. Then I trimmed excess foam.

Finally yesterday I was ready to reseal the window trim to brick. After a lot of research I decided on using OSI Quad advanced sealant. It's not silicon or latex based and supposedly has a much longer life staying pliable and resisting cracking. Unlike silicon or latex based caulks, you don't tool this stuff so application has to be spot on or you're right back with an amateur crappy looking mess!

I got all the windows sealed up and by the last one I felt like i had the application down pat...smooth consistent drag of the tip with constant but regulated pressure on the gun trigger. Crazy thing is it take 7-14 days for it to cure before painting over.

I lied - here is one pic of the sealant. You can see remnants of the previous caulk and how much more there was covering the brick. I wish this project on no one...it's a bitch scraping 50 year old caulk off of brick.

IMG_0105.jpg

And...previous state.

IMG_0106.jpg

^^^
I started doing the same years ago and remember the knuckle busting.
Enter the vibrating multi purpose tool. A blade that has no teeth, cut right through the old crap. My work time went from 40 minutes per window to about 5.Ten windows. What a life saver. I save all my old blades. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom