Orion T-case or ARB upfront? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I'm talking about to different animals traction vs going slow. I'm going to put one or the other in just would like some opinions. I have a stock tranny and 3.70 r&p with 33''. In one of the treads I read something about the orion being to slow for the sand and I need something for both rocks and sand. I live in AZ and go to Mexico and play on the beach. So if someone could chim in who is running a similar crawl ratio or lower that would be great.

Thanks B

orion is a pita in a 60.. It is designed to replace the older tcases.

I would do an ARB in the rear (if you do not already have a locker in the rear).

Well I'm having the t-case and the tranny rebuilt. So, i thought since it had to be done the orion comes with the T-case kit. And Is the Orion a lot more work I was told it all had to come out anyway so I figured orion wouldn't be that much more work. I do have an assuie in the rear right now.

Last edited:
So is that to say the Orion is over kill? I don't want a H55 I have a 83 and don't want to modify the drive line. Also i don't care about the over drive I would never use it so the H55 and Marks are out. I Also want to be prepared for the other 10%.

the orion will make you modify the driveline...

To prep yourself for the other 10% you would be better off with a locker than gearing. Plus, you will need to do a TON more work to hit that last 10%

Traction is key..

All the Orion info says no driveline modifications required, so what has to be modified? I talked to Kurt at CO and AA and it was never mentioned is there a question I should be asking? I have a ton of work in this rig just adding some more.

Last edited:
I have not personaly installed an orion in a 60 before. But the case is fundamentaly different than your stock tcase.

If Kurt says driveline mods are not necesary then most likely, they won't be.

I would still do the locker.

It's really a tough call between the two. I rode with a driver who had 4.88 r&p, and I really liked the crawl with it. But I couldn't run them in my truck because I do take pretty long trips and the highway speed and rpm's would kill me. The Orion just seemed to be away around the higher r&p and I nice upgrade to the tcase.

I would do a toybox before I did the Orion, but that is me. I like options..

Well just got off the phone with Kurt and he was under the impression I was in a 40. The Orion will not bolt up to the 60 split case so it is out. Looks like the locker is in.

I say toy box also with your set up. I have ARB's FR/RR and love them, but I also have low gears to crawl slower. In my experience the 4Lo ratio of a 60 is definitely not low enough for rock crawling or bouldery wheeling, and I decided to gear first and lock second.

And Driveline mods are not a big deal, I don't know why everyone seems to be afraid. just find a good driveline shop and get them done. my last shortening/lenghtening/CV addition/balancing was only about $200 all together

If you don't want to modify the driveline, then you are never going to have a good range of gearing from low to high with what is available now. I didn't want to modify mine but wanted more gearing so I decided it was worth it. It is not to bad to get the drive shaft lengths changed.

And Driveline mods are not a big deal, I don't know why everyone seems to be afraid. just find a good driveline shop and get them done. my last shortening/lenghtening/CV addition/balancing was only about $200 all together

Agree 100%. When I installed the H55, both drivelines were $150. Together. The local shop turns them around the same day. This is seriously not an issue. If your dream drivetrain requires drive shaft mods, do it, and don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom