Options to program new TPMS sensors to a 2014 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a wheel and tire package online and had them include the TPMS sensors. Just curious what my options are to program them to my LX. A search gave me a lot of conflicting info so just trying to clarify. Trying to avoid going to the dealer if possible.

Thanks

I use the carista app and their OBD2 adapter. Many here are happy with it. Very straight forward process as long as you have the TPMS IDs on hand and only takes a couple min to program your new TPMS. It does require a paid subscription to use after trial period runs out.

I use the carista app and their OBD2 adapter. Many here are happy with it. Very straight forward process as long as you have the TPMS IDs on hand and only takes a couple min to program your new TPMS. It does require a paid subscription to use after trial period runs out.
That method is basically cloning the stock sensors correct?

Cloning sensors is a different process then programming TPMS IDs into the cars computer. If you want to clone your sensors you would need specific TPMS sensors that have this function and then also purchase the cloning tool. I believe Autel (spelling?) is a popular brand that offers this.
I run the OEM/denso sensors as they have a track record for good battery life. Aftermarket sensors are hit or miss and are more prone to having a shorter lifespan.

Bought a wheel and tire package online and had them include the TPMS sensors. Just curious what my options are to program them to my LX. A search gave me a lot of conflicting info so just trying to clarify. Trying to avoid going to the dealer if possible.

Thanks
There are a few variables that probably make tracking down the methods difficult.

Assuming you didn't get programmable sensors and the company you bought them from didn't provide the sensor IDs:

You need 2 things:

1. The IDs from the TPMS sensors.

Ways to get:

a. Get them from the people who sold you the sensors (they are printed on the case of the sensor usually)
b. Use a wireless TPMS sensor scanner to retrieve the codes from the sensors without breaking the bead and inspecting the sensors. Either order from Amazon or take it to a tire shop.
c. Break the bead on the tires and get the codes off the sensors.

2. A device to program the retrieved TPMS codes into the LC ECU through the OBD2 port.

Ways to get:

a. The easiest version of this is using Carista. If you only bought 4 wheels/tires, you'll need to figure out the sensor ID for your spare and reenter it when you enter the 4 new codes. Carista will be able to tell you all the current sensor IDs.
b. A tire shop should have a device to do this as well. Probably the easiest route if you went to a tire shop to read the new codes from the sensors.
c. I believe if you do a version of Techstream with a VXDiag OBD2 interface you can program with that as well, Techstream doesn't work with the cheaper OBD2 adapters.

Only problem in your case with a tire shop, is you didn't use them to purchase your wheels, tires, or sensors, and probably didn't ask them to install the wheels, so they won't be too excited to help you.

If the sensors they sent you were programmable, then you need someone with a programmer and they can use the codes currently in your truck ECU to program the sensors with those codes (cloning sensors). Getting these codes requires Techstream/Carista or a wireless TPMS sensor scanner. So to answer your question above, if you are cloning original sensors with programmable aftermarket sensors then you do not need Carista/Techstream to program the truck ECU because you are mimicking the sensors it already knows about. I don't really know anything about the programming process, i just know it's possible.

Techstream is the method I use to program TPMS codes with the VXDiag OBDii. Very easy to do, just programmed mine earlier this week. Techstream can do a lot more than TPMS, but downside is that most are using less than reputable download of Techstream and sidestepping the license. Carista looks interesting in that the hardware is cheaper and more portable since a laptop is not required and also works well for TPMS. Only downside is that requires a small subscription fee. Carista’s dongle can also be used with OBD Fusion for more functionality.

Techstream is the method I use to program TPMS codes with the VXDiag OBDii. Very easy to do, just programmed mine earlier this week. Techstream can do a lot more than TPMS, but downside is that most are using less than reputable download of Techstream and sidestepping the license. Carista looks interesting in that the hardware is cheaper and more portable since a laptop is not required and also works well for TPMS. Only downside is that requires a small subscription fee. Carista’s dongle can also be used with OBD Fusion for more functionality.
How did you get your copy of Techstream? Or can you point to a place to acquire the software please?

How did you get your copy of Techstream? Or can you point to a place to acquire the software please?
I don’t remember exactly where I downloaded it from, but if you google “obdii365 free Techstream” you might find some info on various versions available and how run with a “patch”. Be prepared to disable virus scan and take a chance with downloading sketchy software exe from an unknown source…

I don’t remember exactly where I downloaded it from, but if you google “obdii365 free Techstream” you might find some info on various versions available and how run with a “patch”. Be prepared to disable virus scan and take a chance with downloading sketchy software exe from an unknown source…
The easiest (not cheapest $90 right now) way is to order the VX Diag, it comes with a download that works with their device and installs on Windows 10.

VXDIAG VCX Nano Diagnose and Programming Tool Compatible for Toyota and Lexus SAE J2534 WiFi Version Amazon product ASIN B078N34ZPW
Otherwise follow this thread:

Thread 'How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes'
How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-techstream-in-5-minutes.1034923/

Thanks mate

I bought an Autel TS508. Tire shop said they cloned my sensors on the winter setup but I always had issues. Found the TS508 on ebay for just over $100 and don't struggle with TPMS on any of my cars any more.

I bought an Autel TS508. Tire shop said they cloned my sensors on the winter setup but I always had issues. Found the TS508 on ebay for just over $100 and don't struggle with TPMS on any of my cars any more.
Why not try buying from the denso website? I think they are OEM and run about $40-$50 per sensor? I’m about to try them as I have one with low battery.

I have the same one. Works great with the LX, Subaru, and MB. Our Teslas can self learn new TPMS. You just put the wheels on and drive, it prompts you if you would like to pair. I hope other car companies add this feature.

I have the same one. Works great with the LX, Subaru, and MB. Our Teslas can self learn new TPMS. You just put the wheels on and drive, it prompts you if you would like to pair. I hope other car companies add this feature.
i’ve had this on my list for a long time.

have you used the autel branded tpms sensors? if so, how long? my concern is battery life or early failure vs denso/oem

Why not try buying from the denso website? I think they are OEM and run about $40-$50 per sensor? I’m about to try them as I have one with low battery.
Just a couple details.. buying the correct denso part number will give you something in a denso box, but it will be made by Pacific Industries and have those “PI” markings on the part. This is the OEM supplier to toyota.

i’ve had this on my list for a long time.

have you used the autel branded tpms sensors? if so, how long? my concern is battery life or early failure vs denso/oem
I’m in Alaska so run separate winter and summer wheels. I had a set of cloned sensors that me tire shop did for me. They were great when they worked as I didn’t have to reset the TPMS twice a year. I had battery failures in the first 3 years so I went back to OEM. I bought the TS508 when I went back to OEM so I could do a TMPS re-program twice a year when I switched tires out on the vehicles. My tire shops were charging $50-$75 per vehicle to do the TPMS reset… I paid $250 for the tool.

I purchased Pacific/Denso senders on Amazon. Cost shipped was around $125 v. about that much per sender from my local Toyota or Lexus stores.

Once the senders were installed on my '13 LC, no issues. I have stock aluminum rims for most driving and 18" steel Tundra take-off's for Winter. The system can see either with just a press and hold action on the button under the dash. No issues.

Last edited:
People here have reported getting counterfeit PI parts when ordering from Amazon. I’d proceed with caution or mitigate the risk by using a more trustworthy retailer even if it costs more.

People here have reported getting counterfeit PI parts when ordering from Amazon. I’d proceed with caution or mitigate the risk by using a more trustworthy retailer even if it costs more.
Has anybody tried denso products website? I don’t think they are denso but says they supply denso products to individuals vs retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom