Opinions on extended shock towers?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lookin for some advice on extended shock towers on the front of my 71 FJ40. Id like some nice "hoop" style mounts, but havent seen any for sale. All Ive seen are the funky looking Downey add-ons and the Man-a-Fre extended towers that look like stock design. Hit me up with your 2 cents!!! :grinpimp:

ford shock towers was probobly the easies mod on my cruiser

and cheap...about $20/pr
ford tower 2.JPG

The Ford F-250 mount - piece of cake.

At ~$22, one of the cheapest, most effective Cruiser mod.

Do it, and don't look back.

Ige's picture is great at showing the different heights.

I try to show the bare dimensions of the mount.

I also did mine to make room for a steering column - I plan on going 60 series PS in the future
MVC-867F.JPG
MVC-877F.JPG

Very nice!! Guess I'll be heading to the Ford dealer Monday!! REALLY appreciate the pics!! :beer: :beer:

how far do those towers come from the top of the fender? or can you install them wherever you want?

milesstarkey said:
how far do those towers come from the top of the fender? or can you install them wherever you want?

I put mine in the stock location and they only required maybe 1/2" trim of the inner fender steel to fit fine. They reach about to the level of the "shelf" inside the engine compartment.
Not obtrusive at all.

The price will vary dealer to dealer. I had to pay $21. each but it's still a nice cheap mod.

What exactly do you gain from this mod? Is it the ability to use longer travel shocks? How much longer shocks can you use effectively?

Thanks

most do it in conjunction with a lift, so it depends on your lift.

bluecruiser said:
What exactly do you gain from this mod? Is it the ability to use longer travel shocks? How much longer shocks can you use effectively?

Thanks

1 - fits longer shocks - how much longer depends on where/how high on the chassis rail you mount them, but 2" should be easy

2 - allows a 60 series p/s conversion - OEM mounts are in the way.

If your still interested in the "nice" shock hoops www.downeyoff-road.com has them for sale. I dout they have them listed on the internet site though.

bluecruiser said:

Thanks

You get additional droop letting the wheels of a lifted truck travel upward that much more IF the springs will flex enough. Works nice with flexible springs and long enough shocks. Probably wouldn't help much if old Rancho springs are on, or others that are too stiff to flex but nobody wants those POS springs anyway, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom