Opinions on buying a LX from SC? Rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMHO, you're asking way too much for 300k miles ;). The OP is a dealer...
That’s not the feedback I’m getting, but we can agree to disagree 👍🏽

I absolutely think it's too much. I would never think that I'd be able to sell that car for that much.

I also think it's one of the nicest, cleanest, and looks to be one of the most well taken care of examples I've seen in a long time. And I've seen A LOT of people pay 10k for one with 190k miles, thats in much worse shape, and rough enough that it won't probably be nice again. I don't think a lot of people will look at his rig and think it's a great price, but I'm very sure at least 1 or 2 of them will. And if I owned it I probably wouldn't take a penny less than what he's asking.

I was just joking. But it really is hard to sell a car like that here - lots of rust snobs. Ironically cars like that do pretty well here - clean them up and they basically stop rusting - but people still don't want them. It's too easy to find good cars with a clean AZ / CA history.
I don’t believe that for one second. Bought a number of vehicles from CA/AZ/NV. All older Toyota/Lexus. Literally not a single seller was using “rust free” as a selling point or was asking more because they had no rust. In fact, everybody thought I was crazy for requesting underbody pics. They said nobody local would ever care to even check underneath for rust because they don’t know what that word means. Where are all these rust snobs that would junk a clean LX like you said in your earlier post? I must’ve missed them when I was car shopping down there.

The OP stated he's a dealer. At $14k, there is little to no meat left on the bone...

I really do hope he can get 14K for that truck, because i'm asking 14K for my 2005 with mods and only 120K miles. Hoping for a smooth sale when i do decide to pull the trigger.

I don’t believe that for one second. Bought a number of vehicles from CA/AZ/NV. All older Toyota/Lexus. Literally not a single seller was using “rust free” as a selling point or was asking more because they had no rust. In fact, everybody thought I was crazy for requesting underbody pics. They said nobody local would ever care to even check underneath for rust because they don’t know what that word means. Where are all these rust snobs that would junk a clean LX like you said in your earlier post? I must’ve missed them when I was car shopping down there.

It seems a bit like you're confirming my point. Rust belt states on a Carfax will devalue a car out here - for good reason. It narrows the market of buyers here and makes the car less desirable for "export" to the rust belt.

It seems a bit like you're confirming my point. Rust belt states on a Carfax will devalue a car out here - for good reason. It narrows the market of buyers here and makes the car less desirable for "export" to the rust belt.
Seriously have no idea what you just said. Carfax devalues a car? What?

Seriously have no idea what you just said. Carfax devalues a car? What?

Believe he's saying, that if it shows up on Carfax that it spent it's life in the rust best, it gets devalued. Hell, I've removed vehicles from my list simply because they've come from the rust belt.

That's why many people cringe when a southern vehicle is taken to the rust belt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Believe he's saying, that if it shows up on Carfax that it spent it's life in the rust best, it gets devalued. Hell, I've removed vehicles from my list simply because they've come from the rust belt.

Ok, that’s a fair point. I’m the same way. However you and I are less than 1% of the buyer pool. I also spent a ton of time shooting Fluid Film on my cars. Who else does that outside these forums? Pretty much nobody. And outside of this forum most people are not very concerned with rust either, that’s why prices for a 100 series (or pretty much any other car) are going to be the same if you buy in CA or in NY. If a vehicle has so much rust that it’s unsafe to drive, has a ton of body rust, that’s a completely different story and not what we are talking about here. We are talking about superficial surface rust on the undercarriage. Yeah we’ve seen some rust buckets but a lot of the stuff people throw a big fuss about is just regular surface rust that has little affect on anything.

Last edited:
I have no problem buying specific vehicles with rust. It didn't come from the rust belt:rofl:

i-xs5CChf-X2.jpg

That's why many people cringe when a southern vehicle is taken to the rust belt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't have to spend its whole life in the rust belt, just a few years will do it - that is some people here will discriminate against that car. I've seen it hundreds of times - seemingly nice car languishes on the market, more research shows that it came from MI, NY, OH, etc. Again - we have rust snobs here, it's not everyone, but it doesn't take everyone to narrow the market and impact values. It doesn't even take rust, the mere information on the Carfax will do it.

I'm in the southeast and it's not at all like that. If you have one from a bad rust state (Ohio, Vermont, Maine, Illinois, etc) it might as well be worthless. But a clean vehicle with minor rust will still sell like crazy, especially white/tan. They just come up for sale so infrequently over here and get snapped up quick
Theres a guy selling a nice LX on the DLC fbook page in Bham.

Ok, that’s a fair point. I’m the same way. However you and I are less than 1% of the buyer pool. I also spent a ton of time shooting Fluid Film on my cars. Who else does that outside these forums? Pretty much nobody. And outside of this forum most people are not very concerned with rust either, that’s why prices for a 100 series (or pretty much any other car) are going to be the same if you buy in CA or in NY. If a vehicle has so much rust that it’s unsafe to drive, has a ton of body rust, that’s a completely different story and not what we are talking about here. We are talking about superficial surface rust on the undercarriage. Yeah we’ve seen some rust buckets but a lot of the stuff people throw a big fuss about is just regular surface rust that has little affect on anything.

As a dealer, whenever I get a older LX/LC in inventory they both usually get a good amount of attention fairly quickly but wow when it's a LC I'm getting phone calls from all over the country for the first few days and everyone asks about rust (even when it's been in AL its entire life....)

One time I had an 04 LC I took on trade. Didn't even look under it until a week after I got it and it had pretty bad rust. I was married to that thing. Had it been an LX I'm pretty confident it would of sold quickly but just about every single buyer crawled under that thing before they even drove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom