One Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PLEASE HELP! I own a 2002 LC. The screw came off my master key and lost the the black casing with the alarm buttons. All I have is the key blade. Called the dealer and told me how I had to get it towed there and all the other BS. Anyways I checked on E bay and they're about $90. My question is since the programming doesn't require to start it can I program it with the key blade because it still turns just wont start. PLEASE HELP!

You only have one key, and you've lost the transponder?

FIND IT!

You can buy a new housing and use your old transponder in it so find the damn thing. The transponder is the important part, it turns off the immobilizer crap and allows the truck to start.

The dealer isn't kidding you...

You need your master key to program a new key or the dealer will have to use their computer thingy.

You can get a new case for the transponder/remote on ebay (not available thru Mr. T) for $20 but a whole new transponder/remote will set you back around $230. Without a master key to program any new key though you may be sunk. In the 1998s that required a new ECU but I think they fixed that problem in later model years. Perhaps the "dealer computer" Calamaridog was refering to.

You can get a relatively cheap Camry-style key to be a master and then set it aside as a backup master in case you lose the other keys. If you want new transponders/remotes talk to cdan and he can get you the best possible pricing. I think he can set you up with a Camry-style remote that is a seperate fob too so you don't have these fragile key issues in the future.

Sorry, the computer thingy I was referring to is the Toyota Handheld tester. I think they can fix it with that. HOPEFULLY they don't have to replace the ECU:eek:

Did you read the other thread about the guy in Phoenix who can blank the ECU so you can start over.

calamaridog said:
Did you read the other thread about the guy in Phoenix who can blank the ECU so you can start over.

I'm pretty sure that's all Toyota does. Put in a "Refurbed/Reset" ECU and ship the fubared one off to a depot maintence guy (probably around Phoenix ;) ) for the same treatment. Still a pretty big hassle for a lost key.

I heard about one guy that lost his only master and Toyota charged him $13XX for an ecu, $250 for the key and then labor on top of that. I also heard that soooo many people complained that everyone gets a free ecu/2 new master key setup one time if they lose theirs.

Josh83 said:
I heard about one guy that lost his only master and Toyota charged him $13XX for an ecu, $250 for the key and then labor on top of that. I also heard that soooo many people complained that everyone gets a free ecu/2 new master key setup one time if they lose theirs.

Forget about the free ECU/2 keys...ain`t gonna happen !! :D

I've got an appointment next week to get my ECU replaced for free, I haven't heard what the two keys are going to cost me yet. I did have to fax proof of ownership to Toyota. My car was a repo and all I got was a vallet key. Which the dealers can cut themselves if they have the hand held toyota tester, it has a funcntion for programing kesy.

When we bought our '01 used it only came with one key (from a non-Toyota dealer). when we called around to get a spare made all of the dealers freaked and said to do it right away as a lost master would absolutely require a new ECU and it would not be free. Few things are these days :mad:

Short story - find the transponder and get another key soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom