On the market for GX460 platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I am new to the Toyota/Lexus. Need some advice which year/trim of GX460 is better as a build platform.
19 years history of my previous expedition vehicle is here: PlanetIsuzoo.com (Isuzu SUV Club) • View topic - Black&White Trooper 2001
My current plan is to get 2017-2018 CPO. Start some interior/cargo modifications to keep warranty ( not 100% sure about this statement) .
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Is the GX460 frame boxed or it is C?
It is a body on frame. It is the same Toyota series (known as 150 series) as the 5th gen 4Runner. Almost every place else around the world except North America it is labeled a Toyota Landcruiser Prado. The Prado's only get a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder diesel, different front and rear end fascia and cheaper interior's (read: cloth or vinyl).
Back to the 4R's, vrs GX's, as mentioned above they are same series as the 4R's except we have:
  • V8 which equates to just a little more horsepower/pound vehicle weight. :p
  • About the same gas mileage as the 4R's
  • More leather
  • More wood
  • Standard 3rd row seats
  • More power options, like double click window lifts on ALL windows!
  • And more... Look at the Manuals thread (GX 460 Manuals ) for what options were available for each year GX.
If you're planing on setting up for off-roading, some of the skid plates and other after market components from 4R's fit the GX and vice-versa.

Oh, and by the way... WELCOME!!! :cheers:

I'm almost done with the cargo area in my 11', I removed the 3rd row seats and installed ARB drawers.

Hi there,
I am new to the Toyota/Lexus. Need some advice which year/trim of GX460 is better as a build platform.
19 years history of my previous expedition vehicle is here: PlanetIsuzoo.com (Isuzu SUV Club) • View topic - Black&White Trooper 2001
My current plan is to get 2017-2018 CPO. Start some interior/cargo modifications to keep warranty ( not 100% sure about this statement) .
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Well, just ten days ago I became a grandpa. As respectful grand parent I am ready to provide proper transportation for my granddaughter it is 2017 luxury.
Build will start after short brake. Got rig today, no time for pictures, will post later.

I used CarMax in my recent '11 Premium GX 460 purchase..totally happy

Seems though more later models are more common than 2010-14

Take a peek at CM......pic my recent '11 purchase

aWsoCKd.jpg

I've seen these numbers before, and my interpretation of the data is that the typical Lexus buyer wants a "modern looking" SUV compared to the "bland" look of the 2010-2013. Lexus made a good decision to give the GX a face lift, considering it's selling 2x as many annually. I wonder why the numbers aren't as high as the GX 470 sales?

I think your original question related to which year/trim is best for what you are trying to accomplish. That will depend on what you are trying to do, but hopefully an overview of the standard and optional equipment will be helpful. There is a great knowledge base at start [GX Offroad] if you would like more information about issues specific to the GX 460 and tips for purchasing.

The 2010-2013 models came in only two trims: Base and Premium. The Base trim came standard with cruise control, automatic climate control, Bluetooth, universal garage door opener, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, tilt steering wheel with position memory, power mirrors with memory, power driver’s and passenger seats, power windows, power sunroof, tinted glass, day/night electrochromic mirror, folding second- and third-row seats, electronic parking aid with camera, keyless entry, Lexus premium sound system with 6-CD changer, nine speakers, satellite radio, and auxiliary input jack. Easiest way to immediately tell the difference is that Premium models came with chrome window strips on the bottom edge of the side windows. Premium model came standard with upgraded leather seats, rear seat HVAC controls, power adjustable and heated second-row seat, and electroluminescent instrumentation. There are a number of options available for each; if you would like to offroad one of the most useful (and difficult to find) is the "Wide View Front and Side Monitor" option, which includes a front camera in the grill you can use at low speed to pick lines. This was also an option in 2014+ models, and similarly hard to find.

The 2014-2019 models came in three trims: Base, Premium, and Luxury. Note that, as noted above, what Lexus did was actually lower the offerings for the Base model, removing some standard options to make it cheaper. So effectively, the former "Base" model was now split into "Base" and "Premium" and the former "Premium" became "Luxury." The base model includeds18-in alloy wheels, rain-sensing wipers, a sunroof, keyless entry with push-button ignition, a power tilt-telescopic steering wheel, 10-way power front seats, synthetic leather upholstery, driver memory functions, electroluminescent gauges, a rearview camera, a trip computer with a 4.2-in display, dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth (for both phone and audio) and a 9-speaker audio system with an 8-in touchscreen display, a 6-CD changer, satellite radio and iPod/USB connectivity.
The Premium model has upgraded wheels, LED headlights, mahogany interior trim, perforated genuine leather upholstery, heated and cooled front seats, heated second-row seats, tri-zone climate control with a smog sensor, a wood and leather steering wheel, voice controls and enhanced Bluetooth. This model also has a hard-drive-based navigation system that features Lexus Enform.
The Luxury model has the same wheels as Premium, but in a gray color, an adaptive air suspension, power-folding auto-dimming exterior mirrors, a blind spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, front and rear parking sensors, a heated steering wheel, semi-aniline leather upholstery, a power-folding third-row seat and a cargo-area tonneau cover.

Note that the adaptive air suspension system in the 2010-13 Premium and 2014+ Luxury models is good for towing and if you are keeping the rig at stock height, but if you are lifting the vehicle suspension using springs you will need to remove the airbags and add a coil conversion kit. You can always add aftermarket helper airbags if you still use the vehicle for heavy towing. The stock bags are also prone to failing over time, so they can create a long-term maintenance issue as well.

I hope this helps. Keep the questions coming, and best of luck in your vehicle hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom