On Borad Air York 210 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rover67

SILVER Star
Threads
So I decided to ditch the CO2 tank and install a york on the Vortec. After lots of research this is what i came up with.

Mount from Kilby (not listed on site) $225 http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/bracket-kits.htm
oil separator $30 from http://www.suicidedoors.com/catalog/air-management/water-oil-separators
Manifold block from ebay maybe $30
3/8" Viair leader hose with check valve from ebay $18
Push loc hose and fittings from Kilby probably $30
K&N intake filter with 3/4" rubber fitting from ebay $15
Random brass fittings from ACE Hardware $20
york 210 from an old Mercedes ($35 at u-pull-it) found what application used them here:
The York Thread. - FSC Forum

Serpentine clutch $81 from Ryder Fleet products http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/c...D=ccccadefmfhhlflcfkmcgfmdfoldflm.0&oid=47299
an ARB compressor harness $37.50 from Kurt at http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/lock_ARB_parts.html
Adjustable pressure switch from ebay $39
Quick connect hose attachment $20 from http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/universal-couplers.htm

After getting home from the yard and cleaning up the compressor, I realized it was a rebuilt one which was lucky. I also noticed that there were TONS of cars that had these in the yard so I was able to spend a while looking for one that looked nice, spun nice, and was easy to pull off.

I installed it using the Kilby mount, went really easily. He gave me everything I needed. All i had to do was trim my aluminum alternator mount a bit to make it fit. I did not do any of the oil control mods to the compressor thinking I could do them at any time, and I simply drilled and tapped the head on the York to accept 3/8" Street elbows that I got from ACE Hardware. I was going to get the special conversion fittings, but I figured why not drill and tap since i had the drill and tap for 3/8" pip threads. Drilling and tapping it to fit th estreet elbows also gave me more hood clearance than the conversion fittings. I'd guess if you could find a flange mount style head that would be ideal for clearance, but this is what i had..

Leader hose simply attached to the 3/8" street elbows and I routed it over to the left fender where I mounted the drier and manifold.

The old v-belt clutch came right off with a big bolt in the center of it used as a puller and on went the new one. The mount Kilby sold me provided perfect alighnment with the belt they also provided.

I ended up routing the hose to right behind the bumper and am not using an air tank for now. eventually i'll box in the bumper and use it as an air tank.

I have to say it runs great. It will power air tools at about 2krpm with no air tank, and fills tires super fast at idle. so fast it is shocking. Also, without the oil control mod, I get no oil in the line and very little in the drier. I have ports in the manifold to allow for the addition of ARB solenoids, the wiring is all there, and I can turn the pressure down to run lockers when i get there eventually.

Here are som pics.. i'll post up more of the completed assembly later. Hadn't taken them yet.

-Marco
DSCN6089 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6090 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6091 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
more pics
DSCN6092 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6093 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6094 (Medium).JPG

more pics
DSCN6095 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6096 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6098 (Medium).JPG

air hose behind bumper
DSCN6186 (Medium).JPG

NICE!

looks great marco, a nice clean install.

thanks guys!

Here are a few more shots...
DSCN6261 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6262 (Medium).JPG
DSCN6263 (Medium).JPG

Thanks! and thanks for the parts Kurt!!!

That is a nice install and good information. That would be very useful to have on my cruiser.

Couple Qs:
Do you still have AC?
Decided on a storage tank?
Do you have a detailed cost/time breakdown?

Couple Qs:
Do you still have AC?
Decided on a storage tank?
Do you have a detailed cost/time breakdown?

I don't know if he still has A/C or not, but because the the A/C compressor is on the other side of the motor it would be very easy to simply get a longer serp. belt and still have it... So I would imagine that he does.

Very nice work man! Love that install. We need to get together soon so I can take a closer look at that motor install. I am getting close to being able to do mine :)

Wicked! I would also like to know if you used a tank.

Where on the cruiser outfitters website is the harness?

Last edited:
Looks good....

? on the CO2 tanks.... Do the tanks work reasonably well. I'm looking for something to air up tires. It seems like it almost impossible to find any gas station with air anymore and then it may be a long haul to get to the gas stations from wherever you are riding.

Are these tanks the same as just a "old compressed air tank" ...I assume not...I'm guessing they are filled at much higher pressures?

I don't know if he still has A/C or not, but because the the A/C compressor is on the other side of the motor it would be very easy to simply get a longer serp. belt and still have it... So I would imagine that he does.

Very nice work man! Love that install. We need to get together soon so I can take a closer look at that motor install. I am getting close to being able to do mine :)

I do still have AC, the AC compressor is on the passenger lower side of the engine, so it can just hang out. The mount Kit from Kilby came with the longer serpentine belt that went over all of the original accesories, and the new compressor.

As far as a tank goes, I have not installed one yet. My plan is to box in each "wing " of the front bumper and use it as a tank. Right now honestly it works well even without one. It would be nice to have one just to have air when the truck is off and to keep the compressor from cycling so much.

I'll add costs to each part in the original post so everybody can see. It all in all took me a morning at the junkyard playing around, a few hours that day to clean up the compressor and get it ready, and installing it only took an hour.

Running the wiring harness, installing that air manifold, doing the rest of the plumbing, and getting it all to look nice took me an afternoon after the compressor was installed.

I liked the CO2 tank, but wheeling every other weekend and sometimes every weekend meant I was refilling it often even though it was a 20# tank. It held enough to be able to air up maybe 8 times? The CO2 tank is a specific CO2 tank that hold higher pressures... my tank ran about 900psi. Nice thing was that it was cheap to fill at the welding store. Just sucked when i ran out of air and needed to fill 3 more tires. I'd just air them up to as much as I could to get back into town to refill. Go to a welding shop and see what they can offer you. or you can do a powertanks setup. Honestly, the powertanks is a pretty good deal... but it is only maybe 50 bucks cheaper than this setup. You can peice together a co2 setup for cheaper if you want or if yo ucan score a tank. I stole my beer keg tank. The tank and the regulator is not cheap either way though. http://www.powertank.com/

Another annoyance was that with the CO2 the tire pressures fluctuated quite a bit. not really a big deal, just an annoyance. Also, as the temps goe down, the CO2 tank runs out really fast and the regulator freezes. Just starts to take a long time to fill tires.

The arb harness is on this page on Kurt's site... about $37.50 look at this link:
Cruiser Outfitters
called a locker harness. I went with it just so I could be set up when I add the arbs in the future, and for what you get it is cheaper than doing it yourself.... really.

-Marco

Last edited:
changed the link on the serp clutch to point ot the exact one I got..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom