OME ubolt wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brettk

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve got an 89 4WD Pickup and ordered the light duty kit (OMEPU2ULM) from Cruiser Outfitters. Started putting the new stuff on…and the new ubolts aren’t the same size. I double checked the part number of the new ubolt (OMEU53B) and it seems to be the right one…but clearly isn’t. You guys have any idea?

It’s clearly not Cruiser Outfitters fault, but I was planning on calling them in the morning to see if they had experienced this before.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the earlier u bolt got put in a later kit. The axle tubes are different sizes, I don't remember when they changed though.

Update: after some reading and another phone call with @cruiseroutfit, it seems Toyota put a 3.25” axle under some of these pickups like @Mudder said instead of the standard size, which is right at 3” I believe. Doesn’t seem like it started at a certain date though, Bryce said they sold ubolts for late model fj40’s to a couple of people when the 75mm ubolt wouldn’t fit, but said it was random and the 75mm fit 99% of the time. The OME number for these bolts are OMEU55, and are on the way to my house. I’ll update in the next few days when they come in.

So how do you like the kit?
It’s well made, and seems like quality stuff. I just wanted a stock replacement because my springs were shot, so I bought the light kit. It’s about a 2” higher so I’ve currently got a stinkbug stance. It may level out after a few days, but I’ll probably end up taking a leaf out at some point to level it.

Yea... seems to be the case. I don’t think OME springs break in over time too much. They are great but more of a long laster than early softener. I’ll bet you need to modify it a bit. I’m searching for a solution to only give me 2 inches over stock in my 1st gen runner but reports suggest even the lighter kit is more of a 4”. I’ll definitely need to modify the pack if I go that route.

Yea... seems to be the case. I don’t think OME springs break in over time too much. They are great but more of a long laster than early softener. I’ll bet you need to modify it a bit. I’m searching for a solution to only give me 2 inches over stock in my 1st gen runner but reports suggest even the lighter kit is more of a 4”. I’ll definitely need to modify the pack if I go that route.
I’ll take a picture tomorrow to give you an idea.

Update: It works! An individual over on yotatech said it maybe associated with the vin number, my vin starts with a J, so maybe it’s only on Japanese trucks?
Weren't they all made in Japan? Interesting that they used two different axle sizes.

Weren't they all made in Japan? Interesting that they used two different axle sizes.
See, that’s what I thought too. The fella in post #6 in the link below said his was built in California though. My guess it had something to do with emissions.

See, that’s what I thought too. The fella in post #6 in the link below said his was built in California though. My guess it had something to do with emissions.

I'm still skeptical about Toyota trucks from 80's or 90's built in U.S. Toyota timeline doesn't mention this. Toyota USA | Toyota Operations Map | Our American Journey | Timeline - https://www.toyota.com/usa/operations/timeline.html

With a J VIN your truck was built in Japan with the unusual axle, so manufacture site may not be the reason anyway. I know for the FJ62 some of them were built with extra California emission equipment, yet they were all built in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom