Old style Super Swampers NLA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm about to pull the trigger on tires for my FJ40 project and want to go back with 34 x 10.50 Super Swampers as I've had before. But, I see conflicting data on whether or not the old style is still available (without the sidewall tread). Does anyone know if they can be ordered old style?

Their Web site shows pics of both styles, whether they are radials or bias ply.

I prefer this style:
ss1.jpg

But, this appears to be the newer style:
ss2.jpg

The first picture is a Super swamper TSL, you can get a 34x9.5 in the narrow version bias ply. The bottom picture is a TSL SX. Tires selection in 15" rims sizes seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

The first picture is a Super swamper TSL, you can get a 34x9.5 in the narrow version bias ply. The bottom picture is a TSL SX. Tires selection in 15" rims sizes seems to be getting smaller and smaller.
Yes, and it appears that only the 34 x 9.50 is available in the old style (picture 1). All other sizes seem to be the newer style (picture 2).

Bummer. I may end up going the BFG KM2 route.

Curious as to why you want bias ply tire? You are looking for the clean sidewall look as well?
IROK ND or the SSR are the radial versions, much nicer balancing and manners.

Curious as to why you want bias ply tire? You are looking for the clean sidewall look as well?
IROK ND or the SSR are the radial versions, much nicer balancing and manners.
Thanks. Looks like both of those have the sidewall tread going on as well. I just prefer the clean sidewalls.

But yeah, the bias ply tires suck when they are cold.

Going to have trouble now, the side tread is a fad as much as anything. I could suggest you be wary
and don't buy old tires that are new sitting on a shelf. The BFG are certainly your best option as far
as tire quality and durability as opposed to bias ply.
I remember getting my TSL SX's 15 yrs ago and they were looked upon as cool and 'why is there side
tread?' questions. Funny how things change. I loved those tires, J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom