Old driver, Nagging problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member here. Hi.

4x4's aren't a big mystery; I used to own a pretty built 85 4Runner, locked, doubled, lifted, etc, and rebuilt (and broke) many a Jeep. Sold all that when I started a business a few years ago.

Wife and I bought our 94 FZJ80 about 5 years ago, right at the dawn of the financial meltdown, hoping it would last us for at least a couple of years until our economy improved. Well, we're going on 5 years, and things still haven't significantly improved. The LC has been wonderful in dependability of holding all its major components together, but a number of little nagging things have surfaced that neither I nor any local mechanic has been able to solve. Looking for any help possible. Most of the issues are electrical, one of my biggest weaknesses. I'm not in a position to outlay metric tonnes of dollars to fix them.

The short list:
1. unreliable starting. Wife calls it the "horror movie" starter. At seemingly random times, it'll take multiple key turns to start. Starter will click, but not turn. Starter has been replaced 4 times, with used and new starters - never solved the issue.

2. Poor cab side electrical performance. Voltages check out, but the cig lighter (replaced once) will barely charge a cell phone, and plug in inverters don't work at all. I've wired inverters directly into the cab fuse panel, and they usually die within a month.

3. Rear passenger window won't function. The motor, that is... The window works just fine as a window. Window will roll down at its own switch, but not back up. Both switches have been checked, and are fine. Motor is fine. Checked all of the related wires for shorts (multimeter) noticed nothing.

4. Periodically complains about oil level regardless of the oil level. Replaced the sending unit to no avail.

5. Check engine light. Intermittent, no effect on driving performance. No codes. Oh well.

6. Cruise control sometimes just gives up or refuses to work at all. No freaking idea what to check there.

7. Sunroof sloshing. Absolute mystery. Thought I cleared out both of the drains, but it keeps sloshing after heavy rains.

Searching here, but any help with links or quick fixes would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried another switch for your window?
My cruise control switch is bad and at times will work intermittently also
Theres 4 drains in the sunroof 2 front and 2 rear

I would check and clean all of your electrical grounds for your starting / window motor / cab side performance issues.

Pretty sure under normal circumstances a CEL will have a corresponding code. If no code, this would lead me to think short somewhere.

There's a diganostic procedure for troubleshooting the cruise control. Don't remember the details off the top of my head, but it's in the FSM. and here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/545437-cruise-control-obd.html

Sounds like you have ground issues. How is rust/corrosion in the engine bay? Look around at the grounds, fusible links and look at a few connections to see if this might be causing some of your problems (you'll see rust, dirt, corrosion, etc). I had some weird electrical problems like headlights not always working and I also had the "intermittent start". I cleaned all my grounds with a wire wheel and/or sandpaper, then used electrical grease when putting things back together. Fixed my problems.

starter issue is one of two things. Bad starter, or a fault at the park-neutral switch on the side of the transmission. Look for a 1/4 pie shaped thing on the shifter (on the right side of the trans) with a big electrical plug on the top of it. Unplug and clean those green crusties out of the connector.

I'd get a new fusible link and replace your old one. They're like $10 from the dealership or a Mud vendor. Check and replace your battery terminals if they look grungy or corroded or twisted. Poor contact at the battery terminals cause multiple problems. New terminals from Toyota would be my choice, but if you've got a winch, get military style terminals from a parts store.

Window problem can be either switch, wiring, or motor. Remember that there's two switches, one on your driver's door, and one on the door of the window. The test procedure is to use a test light bulb between the motor contacts. Remove the door trim panel and unplug the window motor itself, plug a test lamp into the wiring harness in place of the window motor. Actuate the switches, make sure the bulb lights up for both up and down positions, from both the door window switch and the driver's master switch. If it does light up in both directions, your motor is faulty. Likely due to sticky window runs (window rubbers).

HTH.

I wouldnt change out any parts until you figure out what the problem is. It sounds like all of your electrical problems are coming from one issue. I hate it when folks just start throwing parts at it. YOu stated youve been through several starters so i doubt its a starter issue. The ground is what i would be checking out. Look and see what kind of voltage your getting when its running. FInd if the battery is charging completely. The fact that you wire in new inverters and they die makes me think is in the regular part of the alt possibly. Low voltage kills electronics.

^^^X6 or so: grounds.

Clean mating surfaces. New cables, straps, and hardware where needed. Some cables can be internally corroded and don't easily show how bad they are. Dielectric grease your now clean connections. Please report what you find.

Welcome to MUD.

I wouldnt change out any parts until you figure out what the problem is. It sounds like all of your electrical problems are coming from one issue. I hate it when folks just start throwing parts at it. YOu stated youve been through several starters so i doubt its a starter issue. The ground is what i would be checking out. Look and see what kind of voltage your getting when its running. FInd if the battery is charging completely. The fact that you wire in new inverters and they die makes me think is in the regular part of the alt possibly. Low voltage kills electronics.

Sometimes you cannot find out what's causing the issue until you diagnose by replacing parts. I work in IT and have to run through this all day and at times, it is inevitable.

Do you have after market alarm with remote start? That was my starting issue that haunted me for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom