Old dog troubles. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter sentient schmoo
  • Start date

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first time he's ever asked to be in the middle of the chaos - or held, period. I'm so tickled, and happy to see him like this.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190509193525160~2.jpg

Hanging out with the others... My only complaint is he barks the most, in his raspy old man voice.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190505123617134_COVER~2.jpg

So basically this dog hates cold weather. Probably because it hurts him, but I seriously have a new dog now that it's not dropping below 50 F. So weird.

Aw Victor thank you for commenting, having a professional chime in is comforting.

So I've been back to the vet with him. We've been having "the talk". I've been counting the good days over the bad days, mobility, interest in life's joys like food and other - and really ignoring the growling. It seems like with spring and warmer weather he has perked up! But we also see signs of renal failure, weight loss, pain, dementia.

Sigh. Each week I say "this is it" and each week he goes "but wait, look, I'm happy and kinda comfy again..."

I love him more than I even realized. This is a hard one. But right now he's snorting at me from his comfy crate because I had to drag him outside to pee this AM.
It's a really tough decision. Even though putting him down could be the nicest thing you do for him when it comes time, there always seems to be doubt. I just hope he makes it really obvious when it's time so you have no doubt. I hope you get more good memories with him though!

He no longer plays with toys. He can't chew most treats. He is tired - so, so tired. The renal failure makes him drink a half gallon of water if I turn my back and don't ration, which then makes everything come back up.

I almost miss having to wake up five times a night to let him out.

I made the appointment for Monday and I honestly cannot stop crying, but it is my job to care for him always. Including the difficult decision making.

I will always want more time, but trying to remind myself I gave him a quality of life (and life, period) he wouldn't have gotten if he'd stayed at the shelter.

IMG_20190822_180046.jpg

How deep do I need to dig to make sure the wildlife doesn't get him? It's supposed to rain this week, too.

I made the appointment for Monday and I honestly cannot stop crying, but it is my job to care for him always. Including the difficult decision making.

Sad yes, but still the right thing to do IMO.

How deep do I need to dig to make sure the wildlife doesn't get him? It's supposed to rain this week, too.

The deeper the better, but I've never had any issues with 2-3 feet. Pack it down good. Sometimes I have put some weight on top to discourage digging, but nothing ever tried so I'm not sure it was necessary or helpful.

Be strong, but it's OK to cry too.

I buried that cat last year two or so feet down and something dug it back up. I even put a heavy rock on top. I am legitimately terrified of having to deal with that, especially if it's Cody. Guess I'll dig even deeper.

You could put him in an ammo can or something.
Sorry for your loss. :( :(
Its been nearly three years since I lost Guinness to renal failure. Breaks my heart almost daily. :(

Sorry...It's a hard thing to do.

Put some Lime on top, natural deodorizer and rodents don't like it.

He no longer plays with toys. He can't chew most treats. He is tired - so, so tired. The renal failure makes him drink a half gallon of water if I turn my back and don't ration, which then makes everything come back up.

I almost miss having to wake up five times a night to let him out.

I will always want more time, but trying to remind myself I gave him a quality of life (and life, period) he wouldn't have gotten if he'd stayed at the shelter.

View attachment 2075307
Aww sorry to hear it, and you’re ok.

Aww sorry to hear it, and you’re ok.

Thanks.

I have cried so much today. But also laughed. Then, cried some more. My face hurts. My whole head hurts. My heart hurts, too.

Super grateful for Jason driving me around and handing me all of the tissues and just being present.

Cody enjoyed nearly an entire can of Cheese Whiz at the vet today before passing. We cuddled, he gave me one last kiss, tried to bite me in the face (of course, grumpy old thing - and it was welcomed) and then one final little growl as he left this plane of existence.

I came home to a chorus of barks, minus one. I did not realize how much I would miss that awful racket. I now have some tiny Paw Paw trees, which I look forward to watching grow.

I am peaceful knowing he no longer hurts.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1567987297699~2.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1568033658388.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1568045385448.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1568035792034~2.jpeg

Thanks.

I have cried so much today. But also laughed. Then, cried some more. My face hurts. My whole head hurts. My heart hurts, too.

Super grateful for Jason driving me around and handing me all of the tissues and just being present.

Cody enjoyed nearly an entire can of Cheese Whiz at the vet today before passing. We cuddled, he gave me one last kiss, tried to bite me in the face (of course, grumpy old thing - and it was welcomed) and then one final little growl as he left this plane of existence.

I came home to a chorus of barks, minus one. I did not realize how much I would miss that awful racket. I now have some tiny Paw Paw trees, which I look forward to watching grow.

View attachment 2079297View attachment 2079298View attachment 2079299View attachment 2079300
Good on you for giving that old man a great life that he wouldn’t of had otherwise. Sometime the hardest decisions are the best ones, and it’s always harder on us for sure. He’s in a better place with no more pain...and grumpiness ;)

Thanks.

I am so sincerely sorry for your loss. Blessings on you for giving him your love and your care.

Karma and I are deeply sorry for you loss. May he watch over you and his siblings as he waits on the other side of the rainbow bridge. Go for a ride and tough the sky!!

Karma and I are deeply sorry for you loss. May he watch over you and his siblings as he waits on the other side of the rainbow bridge. Go for a ride and tough the sky!!

He came to me after his owner passed away - an elderly woman with a myriad of health issues. I would like to think they're cuddled up together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom