OJ50 question re H55F replacement of H41 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 88 OJ50 with stock Mercedes OM314, aluminium bellhousing, H41, and J30 type 1 piece transfer.
I have a take out H55F with B type (longer, fine spline with smaller pilot tip) input shaft, attached to 38mm type 2 piece TC (with a PTO).
Anyone know if: the aluminium bellhousing on current stock OM314 means I’ll be able to not have to change to shorter H/F type input???
BTW, going to change TC to Marks/AA 2.81/0.92 gears; going to change out 3.7 open diff 3rd members to takeout 4.56 (Detroit/ARB) at same time. Along with Michelin 34s or 36.5 skinnies.
And install Ramsey PTO winch in parts pile.
Yes I know I will need BTB E brake.
But the ? is what the current Al bellhousing means as far as input shaft. And, anyone know whether the transmission transverse support member will need to be modified?
PLEASE DON’T GUESS, unless guess is highly educated and please state reasoning behind guess.
Thanks very much.
I have already talked to very knowledgeable Dan at 4 Wheel Auto in Edmonton: nearest big city to me in Alaska.
Mark Whatley is unavailable, seemingly permanently.

You have to track down Greg Childress in Vegas. He had three 14B's he had worked with and the Bandy systems.

Be warned, finding an input shaft is a nightmare and machining one down could take lost resources. Toyota does not equal bandeirante.

There is an old thread about early vs late H55 input bearings (off hand 90mm vs 92mm, cutoff year about 1985) and interchange. I have no idea which H55 you have without a photo of front bearing retainer and possibly the input bearing.

that said, for 14B's you need a late H55 because the donor shaft is 1HZ and the spline area on the 1HZ shaft can work WITH MACHINING.

For MB system you might just have to take apart and trial fit.

there, my uneducated guess

The answer is: coarse splines, F/H pattern input. Bearing retainer looks identical as does bolt pattern. Had WhatsApp discussion with Bandeirante mechanic in São Paulo with pictures.
Cancelled AA TC gear order because I don’t like the idea of grinding the inside of the case. Ordered BTB E brake. So it’ll be H55F/stock TC/4.56s with lockers/34s. 3% faster in 5th, ~12.8% slower in 1st, 11.3% slower in low 1st. Approximately. With factory PTO. With 3.70s, it needs slower in reverse, 1st, 2nd.
Don’t need cruising speed >60 mph (2370 rpm with new setup) in Alaska. Maybe I should do 4.88s except that all these parts are free (in my pile).

2634960D-3FF1-456A-B847-91EEA6DFB2AD.jpeg

No ears on bearing retainer. Should be early h55. Therefore you cannot do a 1hz input conversion IF you need a shorter 21 spline shaft for clutch. Again, going off 14b which need a B series 21 spline disk.

It will be early (‘84) H55F. The H55F in question (on the pallet, under the tarp, next to the garage, was stock on 84 BJ60. Obtaining contemporaneous “coarse” F/H input shaft from 4 Wheel Auto in Edmonton. Along with bearing retainer if necessary, and early H55F master rebuild kit. And similar for late (38mm idler shaft pin) “split” TC behind it; for complex reasons from 17-18 years ago that I remember but would be wasteful as far as bandwidth to explain.
I don’t want to further complicate the situation by purchasing the Marks’/AA 0.92/2.81 gearset which requires grinding inside the case…..

Worst thing about Marks (Had them in bj74) were even after the break-in period they were 20db higher than stock gears. Would not buy again. The grinding for 2.8 set is very minimal BTW. Takes 10 minutes.

I had heard about the noise issue in the past but AA denied its’ existence.
I canceled the order after discovering it required grinding.
Can you send me the excerpt from the instructions that refers to the grinding, or at least describe it in detail?
Without the gears, with 34s etc, 5th will be 3% faster than old 4th; low 1st (with 1.959 low range) 1.11:1 greater reduction lower (10% slower) than previous low 1st. With all the tire and gearing changes. A relatively slight improvement at both ends.
With the Marks’ gears, 11% faster in high 5th; in low 1st, 1.59:1 greater reduction. High 4th is 1.066 compared to previous, nice for highway hills as long as you have a 5th.
So I am still interested in the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom