Oil pressure switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks

New to the forum

I just purchased a 1990 LJ71, auto tranny with the 2L-T motor. It's a real nice veh. with only 60,000 km's.

The other day I was driving around and noticed that the oil press. guage needle ( red ) seemed to have disappeared. I checked the oil level and all was good.

I thought that it may have broken off or something and was lying in the bottom of the cluster out of sight.

I took the instrument cluster out and it was still there, resting all the way at the bottom. I noticed that it is spring loaded and most likely required pressure to get it moving once the oil temp got hot enough. I did notice later that when the veh. was cold and I started it up, the oil press. guage would come out from hiding and slowly went all the way up to the hot area and then slowly back down into hiding where you can't even see the red needle.

I located the oil press. sending unit switch near the oil filter. I pulled out the two connections and everything seemed ok.

I ordered a swtch from Lordco after getting a Toyota part # and they crossed ref ' the number. Part came in the next day and it looked like the same type of switch . While there I also bought a Fram oil filter which they also crossed from a Toyota part number.

So I put the veh. up on blocks, crawled under and took off the two connectors.As I pulled them off a little bit of dirty water drops came out of the ends of each connector .I thought it was oil at first but it was definately some water. After some 14 mm wrenching, I got the old switch off.

I put on the new switch, reconnected the connectors and then fired up the motor. Well this time there was no needle movement at all. I let the motor warm up, took it for a short drive and still no needle movement. I then squirted a shot of WD 40 onto the connectors to possibly help displace the water/moisture . let it sit for a while and then still no needle movement upon starting.

I thought back as to how the water got into the connections and then remembered that a few days after I bought the veh.I cleaned off some grease/oil from near the turbo area with a degreaser and then poured a few gallons or water onto the area to wash off the grease.Everything cleaned off nicely. Starting was no probelm as well as needle still worked.

My question now is why did the water come out of the ends of the connectors on the second inspection of the connectors when I was about the install a new switch and not the first time when I found the switch and pulled off the connectors to see if anything was wrong.

I followed the connection wiring harness to under the air filter housing and it seemed ok.

It appears that the switch may have not been the problem and maybe the water from my washing the area days earlier was still present but curriosly did't drip the first time I removed the connectors.

Now I am not sure if I should pull the new switch and put the old one back on and get a credit as the new switch cost $ 70 or just leave it in .

As for the water , is it possible that it may have an caused an electrical short somewhere although the needle did move to hot and then disapear on a cold start up.

I am worried that I don't have a reading right now for oil press. and there does not seem to be an idiot light on the dash for high oil pressure.

Sorry to be so long winded on this . my first post , but I thought that I would supply as much detail as possible.

Any suggestions from any motor/electrical guru's out there.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.
I think the best thing is too ascertain that you have good oil pressure for peace of mind and its ALSO cheap and easy:D.
Hire or buy a mechanical gauge that screws into the thread where the oil pressure sender currently sits.
Then do the test outlined in the manual,they usally require an engine to maintain about 50 psi at 2000+ rpm for 2 minutes or so(Im guessing)
A high reading of 50-60 psi is good but half or even less is still ok for an older motor.
The quality and age of the oil will also effect the reading.

With 60000klms Ill bet you have a bad gauge. They are very sensitive and when they stop working they go way out of calibration.

Fram oil filters dont have a good reputation from what Ive read and Ive noticed my parts shop no longer stocks them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom