Oil pressure inquiry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2F from a '79 and am going over it's operation to make sure everything is running well. I've checked the timing, carb mixture, ign system, etc. I'm curious to know how long it should take the oil pump to develop full pressure. I have another pump in a blown engine that I could inspect, rework, and use if I have to.

I've been monitoring the time to full pressure with a multimeter at the sender to get a reading. Since it is getting cold here in Michigan, I've noticed that it has taken between 30 seconds and a minute. I am concerned that I am doing damage to the engine during this time that the engine is not getting lubrication from the pump.

Any thoughts are appreciated...
Thanks

The only to know for sure is to get an oil pressure gauge/meter. I bought the best NAPA had for around $40. It screws into the sender and gives you a reading.

WHat grade oil are you running?

I have a meter with the instrument cluster, and it correlates to what I read with the multimeter. In the wiinter I run 10w30.
The type of oil is part of the equation for initial pressure, I know I want the pressure to climb as rapidly as possible. I just want to know if I should be concerned that it takes that long for the pressure to develop.

Regards...

On my mech. gauge, it takes about 5-7 sec.

[quote author=Sparky_Mark link=board=1;threadid=8554;start=msg72854#msg72854 date=1070903509]
I have a meter with the instrument cluster, and it correlates to what I read with the multimeter. In the wiinter I run 10w30.
The type of oil is part of the equation for initial pressure, I know I want the pressure to climb as rapidly as possible. I just want to know if I should be concerned that it takes that long for the pressure to develop.

Regards...
[/quote]

I know you have the gauge and sender, the point being that neither is very accurate or responsive. A pressure gauge willl tell you exactly how long it takes to build your pressure up. Most of mine build up to idle pressure in 10 seconds or less.

I have access to modern pressure sensors, so I guess the "about 10 seconds" comment is enough for me to spend a little more time on the diagnostic. I'll connect one and take another reading. If it's too slow, I would then believe that the pump may be a little tired.

On that note, I have had my oil pan off. Is changing the pump too much trouble? I believe that there is the need for alignment with the distributor. Other than that, how many bananas?

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

Sparky

Changing the pump is not a big deal if you have the pan off. Just make sure you get the copper washers in place and prime it prior to install. If you test it and still find low pressure I would spend some time and run some of the the different block cleaners in it. The oil passages can get gummed up. I would think that would affect pressure all the time but maybe it hurts start up also. NAPA sells new pumps cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom