Oil Leak from Front and Rear Main seals, Urgent fix? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are going to pay to had leaks fixed you should look into having a shop or yourself add a die to the oil and look at the leaks with what ever light source they use to detect the die. Have not tried doing it myself but may shops will do it. Not sure how much better it is than power washing the oil and looking for leaks.

Post up the pic.

How much oil do you leak? If its just drips I would just try Rotella T6 or a swell sealing oil (high mileage oil) or maybe a swell sealing additive (not sure how well they work). It get costly to drop trans to replace the seals. If you do drop the cash, make sure you pick a shop that knows to replace the seal and reseal the retainer. Might be good to change the PHH at that time too.

this is the best I could for pics for now, what do you think?

decoco, it's hard to tell where the leaks originate because of the accumulated dirty and road grim. Clean those areas real good with brake cleaner, engine degreaser, steam cleaner, etc. and drive it a few days. Inspect those areas daily and take pics of the leaks as they appear and post them here.

Last edited:
decoco, it's had to tell where the leaks originate because of the accumulated dirty and road grim. Clean those areas real good with brake cleaner, engine degreaser, steam cleaner, etc. and drive it a few days. Inspect those areas daily and take pics of the leaks as they appear and post them here.

Thank you sir, I copy, will follow up with procedure and update as possible. It'll be bloody cold here this weekend, so I'll have to wait a few weeks.

well you might as well start giving me a quote for what I need to get together for that repair.

we're due for a telephone convo.

nevermind, I just pulled up some pictures and it's a lengthy job... I'll have to try rotella and if not, get the local shop to work on it.

BUT first I'll clean that up and document what's going on... Any pointers?

Yes it is. Pan arch is labor intensive. It's very cheap parts wise.

Feel free to give a call regardless. Happy to walk you though it.

Last edited:
Yes it is. Pan arch is labor intensive. It's very cheap parts wise.

Feel free to give a call regardless. Happy to walk you though it.
Sorry to bring this up yet again, but,, I've been chasing leaks now for about a year, new power steering pump and gasket/seal, new front main bearing seal, new oil pump cover seal, and a new valve cover gasket seal. I have it down to a quart leaked per 700 miles now instead of a quart every 500. From what I have read, here and elswhere, if one drops the transmission, pulls the flywheel, you then can kill two birds with one stone by repairing not only the rear main seal but the upper arch leak as well. Any truth to this? Oh BTW, after fixing all the other leaks myself, I think it'll be going to a shop to fix the rest. Thanks.

I drop the transmission and replace de rear main seal everything good for two weeks and start to leak motor oil again. Somebody can help me thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom