1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Gauge sparatic

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Haskins1111, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Haskins1111

Haskins1111

I have a 62 and yesterday my oil gauge while driving started to drop down past 1/4 but then jumps back to normal possition, it is now doing this regularly so had my oil changed and still same thing. It normally runs at 1/2 while driving and 1/4 at idle. If anyone has some advice? Also where is the oil sending unit at? and how do i check to see if that is the problem.

2. mpetersrx7

mpetersrx7

Oil sending unit is directly below the oil filter. Round unir with wire in center. There is another spade connector on it which should be empty.

3. dogboy2

dogboy2

whatever you do, DO NOT CONNECT THE WIRE TO THE SPADE AT THE SENDING UNIT!!!

if you do and start the truck, you will short out the oil pressure gauge in the dash requiring replacement to restore functional operation (easy fix but a bit of a PITA)

I accidentally knocked the wire to the sending unit off while replacing the fuel pump and having never seen a round contact stud before, mistakenly assumed the female connector plugged onto the male spade which was a perfect, (however tragically flawed), fit....why Toyota designed that connection that way is beyond me....parts guy was happy to see me though, go figure....

-dogboy- '87 FJ60