OGSUV's ML audio slow and low (budget) stereo “build/upgrade” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little progress on 8" sub upgrade

GX project sub1.jpg
GX subwoofer project2.jpg
GX subwoofer project3.jpg
GX project sub 4.jpg

How are you planning on building a box? Will that tie into the factory sub box behind the panel?

Great question. The plan is for this whole pod to screw right to the factory sub enclosure, utilizing the airspace in the factory enclosure, plus another .05 cubic ft. maybe with the spacers, etc... I built it in layers. Once I pulled the factory grill out for good, and had the panel re-installed, it is easy to pull the sub in and out to start and stop this project on weekends.

it is a 3/4" MDF panel that I am calling "the plug" fits tight in the speaker mount hole (I actually made 2 of these in case I want to try to build a 10" version)

Then another rectangular 3/4" MDF piece. (1/2" would have made it closer to flush)

Then 1/8" masonite I had laying around. And finally (2) 3/4" MDF 8" speaker spacers I had purchased just in case I needed it when I mounted it in my IS350.

GX sub6.jpg
gx sub7.jpg
GX sub8.jpg
GX sub back.jpg

Last edited:
More progress. Decided to flush mount the grill which added a little work. I measured and cut a strip of masonite to bend around the MDF trim rings. I have seen this done other ways, but I had never tried this exact method. I had to help it along by gluing and screwing, and seemed to work pretty well.

One layer of Bondo on and weeks later the garage and this piece still reek bondo smell. Fine for me, but can't go in my Wife's car for quite awhile yet. More bondo, sanding, finish work in the future.

I could have wrapped an old t-shirt around the whole thing and used fiberglass resin to create the panel's shape, etc... but I really wanted a more dramatic curves and I'd prefer to work with bondo anyway.

GX sub10.jpg
GX sub11.jpg
GX sub12.jpg
GX sub13.jpg

A little more progress. Its pretty close to good enough to carpet. Was going to do leftover dark brown carpet, but decided to order tan instead. Grill may get brown grill cloth leftover from my 100.
GX sub16.jpg
GX sub17.jpg
GX sub18.jpg
GX sub20.jpg
GX sub19.jpg

Mostly finished product. I may use grill cloth on the metal grill yet. Turned out pretty good. The dramatic curves made it hard to upholster, but I anticipated that. I was able to hide the majority of the wrinkles underneath with a strategically placed seam. (4) 3 1/2" screws to the factory sub mount secures it for the most part. I added a few extra strategically placed, just in case.

I gave it about a 1/2 hour test drive and I really like how it sounds. I did get the sub to clip/temporarily turn off when I turned it up too much and speaker was beginning to distort on sloppier bass tracks, but able to max out volume on tight rock type bass. I am guessing I gained about 6 Db of output with the larger speaker and lower Ohm load.

I wired the dual 4 Ohm voice coils of the subwoofer in parallel which is a 2 Ohm load which seems to be a little much for the amp to handle. I am willing to take the risk of damaging the amp. Proceed at your own risk if you choose do this. A 4 Ohm speaker/load would be safer if you plan to make this upgrade without adding a separate amp eventually. I am already eyeing up the compartment directly across from the sub in the back for an amp with a small footprint.
gxsub21.jpg
gxsub22.jpg
gxsub24.jpg
gxsub25.jpg

Last edited:
Home for a future amp? probably....................
gxsub20.jpg

Well, the stereo upgrades have all been great, and I can confirm after a 2k round trip from Wisconsin to Hilton Head, SC and back that the subwoofer running at 2 Ohms works just fine.

But, on the way home from that trip, we bought a 460, so the 470 going up for sale soon. The 7.1 ML stereo in the 460 sounds much better than even the upgraded 470, but I will still likely be doing some audio tweaks down the line.

gx460.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom