Official austin beer thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tucker, Dave, MMW, where are you guys?

Trying to inject some life into this forum...

Has anyone tried the new Buckehead IPA from Thirsty Planet Brewing? Beer Advocate gives it an A- rating.

Buckethead IPA - Thirsty Planet Brewing Company - Austin, TX - BeerAdvocate

I'm wondering if it's a candidate to replace (512) IPA as the official Land Cruiser summer brew. Cool graphic...

bucketBEERpage.jpg

We should do a double blind taste test tomorrow at Billy's.

What time on Friday's do these things happen. Gotta take the wife out for her Bday tomorrow, but my fat ass loves beer!!!

What time on Friday's do these things happen. Gotta take the wife out for her Bday tomorrow, but my fat ass loves beer!!!

Every Friday at ~3:50PM. Happiest Hour is 4-5, $2.75 for all pints, all 36 taps. Plain old Happy Hour runs til 7. There's usually Cruiser folks there til at least 6. Tomorrow may be shorter than usual. Dave and I will probably will leave by 530 due to other committments.

FYI, parking is tight but you can always park across Burnet Road in the big ophthalmology clinic lot. One of the docs is a fellow beer nerd and doesn't mind us parking there.

512IPA.jpg

is that uppity bar-maid still in their employ?

You mean the lovely and charming Suzanne? :lol:

I dunno. I've been away since January. Dave would know for sure. If we're lucky, Echo Johnson will be there. It's one of her favorite hangouts, or used to be anyway.

Echo Johnson - Biography :grinpimp:

You mean the lovely and charming Suzanne? :lol:

I dunno. I've been away since January. Dave would know for sure. If we're lucky, Echo Johnson will be there. It's one of her favorite hangouts, or used to be anyway.

Echo Johnson - Biography :grinpimp:

One of the safer (for the forum) pics of Echo:

ign-babes-interview-echo-johnson-20041007033217698.jpg

< insert "yodeling in her canyon joke here >

:cheers:

Suzanne was there last time I went. Why do you call her uppity? She's always been cool to me.

Suzanne was there last time I went. Why do you call her uppity? She's always been cool to me.

Well I guess she is cool with you Dave. That's the way it is with big tippers. ;)

"yodeling in her canyon" ....LMAO

BTW, Echo is pushin' 40 but she looks about the same as that pic. At least she did last year...on the deck at Billy's. :D

THE Maharaja

Review: Avery Maharaja

It's difficult for me to choose an absolute favorite India pale ale or imperial IPA, but sometimes I am asked, and the first beer that always pops into my head is Maharaja.
Made by Avery Brewing Co. in Boulder, Colo., Maharaja is so powerful, so incredibly hoppy, that even a two-year-old bottle of it is better than many fresh double IPAs. I know this because a few months ago a friend brought to my house a 22-ounce bomber of Maharaja that had been bottled in March 2009, and we didn't notice the date on the label until we were well into the bottle. It never occurred to us that the beer might not be fresh.
Beer experts will tell you that IPAs ought to be consumed within a few months of bottling, or else they lose much of their hop character. And they're right. But Maharaja is so intense that it can lose more than most IPAs before going bland or turning into a syrupy mess.
Happily, Avery has released a new batch of Maharaja, and it's as aggressive as ever. With a glowing amber color and a small head that dissipates into an oily sheen, the beer emits a pungent aroma of floral hops and tropical fruits -- pineapple, grapefruit, orange, mango, papaya, you name it. Resiny and bitter (the IBU count is 102), Maharaja deploys a massive hops ordnance into the nose, mouth, and throat.
Style: Imperial IPA. ABV: 10.5 percent.

Any of you guys had jester king beer? I'm in love with the black metal, even if it is $11 a bottle.

I tried Black Metal Stout at the brewery open house and thought it was excellent....and it was free. Unfortunately the budget won't allow buying it.

Also sampled their Wytchmaker IPA at the brewery and at Billy's. IMO it was awful. As Tucker would say, it was ass beer.

I tried Black Metal Stout at the brewery open house and thought it was excellent....and it was free. Unfortunately the budget won't allow buying it.

Also sampled their Wytchmaker IPA at the brewery and at Billy's. IMO it was awful. As Tucker would say, it was ass beer.

Yes I am not crazy about the Wytchmaker either but I'm not a fan of IPAs in general. I want to go out to the brewery but I get a saturday off every 6 weeks so still waiting for that to happen.

Not a fan of IPA's? You need to be banished to Lee's dung-hill.

I'm just very picky about them. When I come across a good one hell yeah but in all I prefer stouts and porters over IPAs.

Try this one. Spec's usually has it. It's really smooth...Dave kills a 6 pack every night after work. :)

Steelhead Double India Pale Ale (8.6%)

Maltier, hoppier and stronger than regular IPAs, Double IPA is dry hopped with Amarillo hops for a fresh citrus flavor and aroma. Goes great with red meats and life in general. Does not go well with driving or machinery.

SteelheadDIPA.JPG
styles in the micro and regional beer market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom