Off Road and Water capabilities (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off thank you all once again for helping me with the tranny fluid.
I was wondering if anyone could point me to any good articles that point out the capabilities of the Landcruiser (96 style).
Also, does anyone know what level of water the cruiser can drive through without a problem? I know there's a clearance but, just curious as the levels that the cruiser can go through.

Thanks!

With some easy preperation, Ive had my 80 and my troopy [both 4.5 petrol] in water over the bonnet, and with the 80, half way up the screen.

Deep river crossings in alot of the area I 4wd.

video below of the troopy [3" lift and 36's] crossing the Macallister river, the water was pushing us downstream slightly, as it was running pretty quickly that particular time.

http://www.offroader.com.au/video/theshed/Troopy-MacalisterRiver.wmv

Very nice video...thanks for the links all! I'll be posting a web site with a bunch of info so as I develop it we'll use it to post all sorts of info on our cruisers.

Wow...I went through the pictures and never realized that they were that capable! Looks like we could hang with a hummer or just about anything else. Hopefully some day I will be able to get an older Landcruiser as well to work on as a project!
Thanks again for the input!

[quote author=chriscruiser link=board=2;threadid=5214;start=msg40741#msg40741 date=1063415982]
Looks like we could hang with a hummer or just about anything else.
[/quote]

In that kind of terrain the Hummer would be lucky to hang with the Cruisers. Hummers are built for covering long distances of fairly difficult (read:bumpy) terrain quickly. They are not built for technical wheeling. In other words: Hummers suck at rockcrawling. :D

[quote author=chriscruiser link=board=2;threadid=5214;start=msg40741#msg40741 date=1063415982]
Looks like we could hang with a hummer or just about anything else. [/quote]

Uh, dude, these are cruisers. We ARE the benchmark. :flipoff2:

Ah, grasshopper, stick around and you will learn the ways of the cruiser. Somethings are not as they are advertized, others much more than given credit for....... :) ;) ;) :-X
Cruiser-Master of ALL.

[quote author=fj40crusher link=board=2;threadid=5214;start=msg40781#msg40781 date=1063424449]
Junk where did you find that anyway?[/quote]
Ask Shed Guy :flipoff2: - that truck used to be his. :flipoff2:

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5214;start=msg40690#msg40690 date=1063406222]
With some easy preperation, Ive had my 80 and my troopy [both 4.5 petrol] in water over the bonnet, and with the 80, half way up the screen.

Deep river crossings in alot of the area I 4wd.

video below of the troopy [3" lift and 36's] crossing the Macallister river, the water was pushing us downstream slightly, as it was running pretty quickly that particular time.

http://www.offroader.com.au/video/theshed/Troopy-MacalisterRiver.wmv
[/quote]
Daz, how'd you edit out the part where you were heard crapping your pants in that vid? :flipoff2: Nice vid dude. You gonna do that with the new one?

Yes, Stormin orman is in my old 80 about 1-2 months after he bought it.

There is also a video of the 80 when I owned it on Christo's site climbing a hill in a comp we had to drive the officials up, because they couldnt walk it. We had 2nd fastest time that day, and we winched about half a cable length, the fastest time drove th course later that day, and beat us by 2 sec. :-\

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/pictures/images/movies/darren1.avi

In the river crossing junk, you can hear the audio, rivers like that are everywhere when we wheel, had the new one in 2 crossings last weekend over the bonnet, that was running fast enough they ripped the front number plate off, from its bolts.........

12Sep2003 (UTC -7)

Dude, go and have fun playing the mud and water, just don't get yourself stuck and be tugged out in reverse like this clumsy oaf:

Image-ED2BB8D5527711D7.jpg

the safari vid was done at a place called tobacco flat, and a person I knew is in the passenger seat, the car was returned to GM on the MOnday with the console and glovebox still full.. 8)

Wow...that is nuts! My friend has a durango and when I showed him the Storman video he about crapped his pants!
So, are there any good articles on how to prep the truck for deep water? How much suspension work was done on the Storman truck? Was it mildly stock suspension or is that aftermarket suspension! Either way, extremely impressive!

I had a 99 Durango with the 5.9V8, rear locker so it claimed. I even changed the tires to BFG AT KOs. The Thing was very poor offroad compared to the cruiser. And the best thing, no sideways hopping and fishtailing on washboards with the cruiser. :D :D :D The durango wanted to go sideways on even the mildest washboard road. :eek:
Cheers,
Sean

Ill put together some waterproofing details in the next day or 2, when I have some more time, building 100 IFS side step body protection today.

Awesome! I started looking around the motor and there's a ton of room for working on this beast! I'd be very interested in your info on how to water proof the landcruiser.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom