OEM spoiler install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Search is not providing many results on purchasing and installing an OEM spoiler (diffuser) on a truck that originally did not come with one. My understanding is the ones that did (most) had nutserts in the body. Any suggestions on installing one on a truck that never had one?

Any suggestions on installing one on a truck that never had one?

Yeah, don't. It's not worth introducing a rust magnet just to blow some dust off.

If you insist on it, I would say that you should place it where you want it, then use a transfer punch to mark the holes. Drill them out and use a decent nutsert tool (I like my Astro Pneumatic).

Where are you planning to get one? I think they were a port- or dealer-installed option.

Was kind of hoping there was an aftermarket solution that looks like, and serves the same function as oem only requires no drilling but I haven’t found anything.

Was kind of hoping there was an aftermarket solution that looks like, and serves the same function as oem only requires no drilling

The one that came with the 80s new is made out of metal and pretty heavy. No way I would trust adhesives to hold it on.

That JDM spoiler is weird and I don’t think serves the same function as oem. Obviously if there was an aftermarket solution that didn’t require drilling it would not be metal.

I'm sure you could find a rear hatch with it and just swap. No way I'd put holes in my sheet metal on purpose.

Factory spoiler is a must for me, but if I could source the JDM visor style version, I’d go that route. Bonus is no drilling required. They’re pricey and nearly impossible to source new including all the install brackets you need that no one knows for sure what was supplied by Toyota accessories.

I had my og spoiler hatch rust remediated by a pro body shop. Happy as a clam again.

Gl!

Spoiler is a must for me too I think. It just doesn’t look like a land cruiser without it to me. The rear upper half reminds me of a 4 runner and I can’t be having my LC 80 remind me of a 4 runner!

Spoiler is a must for me too I think. It just doesn’t look like a land cruiser without it to me. The rear upper half reminds me of a 4 runner and I can’t be having my LC 80 remind me of a 4 runner!
I get you. You’re going to get lots of pointy elbow comments here, but you like what you like. Do it! Toyota did a great job with the spoiler.

470A59EA-4FFF-465C-B43A-91CB3D1C9B74.jpeg

Shyea

image.jpg

Look ma no more rust

image.jpg

It’s a good looking design and not a chintzy plastic piece, pure 90s Toyota

image.jpg

Last edited:
Factory spoiler is a must for me, but if I could source the JDM visor style version, I’d go that route. Bonus is no drilling required. They’re pricey and nearly impossible to source new including all the install brackets you need that no one knows for sure what was supplied by Toyota accessories.

I had my og spoiler hatch rust remediated by a pro body shop. Happy as a clam again.

Gl!
I can't seem to find many good pics of the JDM spoiler on our trucks.

It is jewelry; it serves no useful function at all. You should be thankful you aren't stuck with it, or the roof rack, which, unlike the wing, has functional purpose, but doesn't do it very well. That's a really good looking truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom